neck problems

Old March 23rd 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
inluvwith4cats

Default neck problems

Hi everyone! I have a cat that is 14 years old and we noticed last night that
she walking funny and her head was hanging down looking at the floor the
whole time.

We don't really notice if she has been eating or drinking water before this
but I have been lifting the water bowl up for her so she can have water as
with the food bowl.

Her neck looks a little swollen but we can rub it and she doesnt meow in pain
or try to pull away. She has been drinking a lot but didn't go to the
bathroom very much. She has also been sleeping a lot. My boyfriend thinks its
a neck problem and I think its kidney desease but like I said we just noticed
it last night so hopefully if its something it is a neck problem.

Old March 23rd 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Please take your kitty to the vet as soon as possible and have her examined.
It could be kidney disease, especially if she is drinking more than usual.

S.
---

Old March 23rd 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"inluvwith4cats" wrote

Hi everyone! I have a cat that is 14 years old and we noticed last night
that
she walking funny and her head was hanging down looking at the floor the
whole time.

Any sudden change in a 14 year old cat, is a danger sign.

We don't really notice if she has been eating or drinking water before
this
but I have been lifting the water bowl up for her so she can have water as
with the food bowl.

As in this just started and you are just now doing it right?

Her neck looks a little swollen but we can rub it and she doesnt meow in
pain
or try to pull away. She has been drinking a lot but didn't go to the
bathroom very much. She has also been sleeping a lot. My boyfriend thinks
its
a neck problem and I think its kidney desease but like I said we just
noticed
it last night so hopefully if its something it is a neck problem.

Please have her checked as soon as possible but before panic, do you have
other pets? She might have just been played with a little rough (neck
swollen). She might also have been bitten mildly in play and have an
infection (should feel a slight lump which may be a little squishy, do NOT
wait! Hie thee to a vet!).

Had this happen once, 2 cats playing. One got poked by a claw (really was
an accident) and an abcess developed. Needed immedate surgery to open it
then antibiotics for a bit. Time was essential but fortunately, not a very
expensive trip that time g.

Old March 23rd 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
inluvwith4cats

i will but it being Easter the vets aren't really open. we plan on calling
them tomorrow though. thank you

cindys wrote:
Hi everyone! I have a cat that is 14 years old and we noticed last night
that
she walking funny and her head was hanging down looking at the floor the
whole time.

-------
This is an emergency situation. You need to take her to be seen by a vet
ASAP.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

We don't really notice if she has been eating or drinking water before
this

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

Old March 23rd 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
inluvwith4cats

we plan on taking her tomorrow since it being easter our vet isn't open.

blkcatgal wrote:
Please take your kitty to the vet as soon as possible and have her examined.
It could be kidney disease, especially if she is drinking more than usual.

S.
Hi everyone! I have a cat that is 14 years old and we noticed last night
that

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

Old March 23rd 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
inluvwith4cats

She's a skinny cat by nature so we notice our bigger cats eating more than
her all the time. But yes, I just started holding the bowl and food up last
night since thats when we noticed her having the neck problems. She was ok up
til last night.

We have 3 other cats.Can't really say it they were playing or not since the
family was out all day and just noticed it when we got home. We do plan on
taking her to the vets tomorrow since it is Easter and are probably closed.

cshenk wrote:
Hi everyone! I have a cat that is 14 years old and we noticed last night
that
she walking funny and her head was hanging down looking at the floor the
whole time.

Any sudden change in a 14 year old cat, is a danger sign.

We don't really notice if she has been eating or drinking water before
this
but I have been lifting the water bowl up for her so she can have water as
with the food bowl.

As in this just started and you are just now doing it right?

Her neck looks a little swollen but we can rub it and she doesnt meow in
pain

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]

Old March 23rd 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"inluvwith4cats" u42339@uwe wrote:

We do plan on
taking her to the vets tomorrow since it is Easter and are probably
closed.

Let us know what the vet says. This sounds serious to me.

Old March 23rd 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"inluvwith4cats" u42339@uwe wrote in message news:8197137f88c2e@uwe...
Hi everyone! I have a cat that is 14 years old and we noticed last night

that
she walking funny and her head was hanging down looking at the floor the
whole time.

Could be cervical ventroflexion which is often a result of potassium
depletion and can occur as a result chronic renal failure. When you see your
vet tomorrow, ask him to run a full blood workup (complete blood count &
serum chemistry) and urinalysis. If her serum potassium level is in the
lower half of the normal range ask him to prescribe a potassium supplement.
Even if she's not in renal failure, the potassium supplement will help delay
the onset.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old March 23rd 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"inluvwith4cats" wrote

She's a skinny cat by nature so we notice our bigger cats eating more than
her all the time. But yes, I just started holding the bowl and food up
last
night since thats when we noticed her having the neck problems. She was ok
up
til last night.

Ok, not long term then. Kidney problems from my experience, arent so very
fast (at that age, cant rule them out but the sudden dropping head isnt
something I've heard with that).

We have 3 other cats.Can't really say it they were playing or not since
the
family was out all day and just noticed it when we got home. We do plan on
taking her to the vets tomorrow since it is Easter and are probably
closed.

Call and ask? They may want you to take her to emergency room. Definately
do not wait past tomorrow morning if she's still walking around head down.

How's she doing now? If it's an abcess, it might be where you cant feel it
unless trained. Can get very bad really fast. If she's still peeing
though, it's doubtful seeming to be a urinary tract blockage to me. (if she
stops, emergency clinic now!)

If her condition seems the same now as yesterday, just a bit droopier, I'm
guessing an infection of some sort, possibly abcess. Probably accidental
play caused if so and those can happen at any age.

Dont start kneeding her neck looking for it. It could bust inwards that way
and be bad news. (gently checking is ok, feel a lump and you got the cause.
Painful but not all pets react to pain like you or I would).