Keeping kitty away from stereo?

Old August 27th 03, 05:13 PM
Al Puzzuoli

Default Keeping kitty away from stereo?

I have a two year old cat, and I just purchased a new stereo and
entertainment center for my living room. My cat is quite well behaved
around the house but the stereo and speakers are new to him so of course
must be checked out, and the entertainment center is a great new toy to
climb on in his mind. One of his favorite games is to squeeze behind the
shelving unit and hide his toys in amongst the speaker wires. He has
claws and for the most part is pretty good about not using them, but I am
concerned about what he could do to my speaker grills if he gets in a
mood. Does anyone have suggestions as to how I can convey the idea to
him that this area is off limits? I've considered putting bitter orange
on the speaker wires, but i'm not sure what to do about the speakers
themselves or the shelves.

Thanks,

Old August 28th 03, 03:04 AM

Go to a hardware store and get some
inexpensive tubing -- wide enough to
be able to slip the wires into. That
will encase the wires -- keep them and
the cat safe.

Bitter apple/bad tasting things don't
always work. Tape for the speakers perhaps,
though if you really care about them, make
a cover for them. Thin wood slats that will
slip on the speakers - some type of slick solid surface
attached to the slats (plastic perhaps) that will cover the
front of the speakers. Then you don't have
to worry about them when you aren't at home,
or are asleep. At least until you know he
is trained to leave them alone. Inexpensive
to make, and not very time consuming either.
Better than being mad at the cat, and having
the speakers marred.