Goodish news for Jackie Cat

Old June 15th 04, 11:56 PM
dgk

Default Goodish news for Jackie Cat

Jackie is the 5 pound 12 year old (or more) cat that I adopted last
month. After more than three weeks on antibiotics she has gained 7/10
of a pound. The vet was very pleased and thinks that there is no need
to try to get more blood out of her for testing. His thinking is that
if she had any of the prime suspects (thyroid, diabetes, cancer) she
wasn't going to gain any weight, much less almost a pound, without
treatment.

Jackie does have bad gums and they will be prone to infection, and it
is likely the infection that caused her to be so light in the first
place. She had serious mouth ulcers when I got her and that is why she
went on antibiotics in the first place.

Unfortunately our choices on that aren't so good. Cleaning the teeth
and gums would be great but that involves putting her under and he
will not do that at this point. So I just have to make sure she keeps
eating like a little horse and bring her in if not.

She also can't go on Frontline or such, which is bad because she won't
be able to go outside in the back with the two boys (Espy and Nipsy).
It is apparently a VERY bad flea season. She did go out back for the
last couple of days and it will tough to stop her now but I have to.
He says to bring her back in two or three months and if she is up to
seven pounds he will ok Frontline.

The vet says that she walks funny because she has very little muscle
mass, mostly because she is old and that sort of thing happens.

All in all, about the best that could be hoped for.
Old June 16th 04, 12:39 AM
Mary

"dgk" wrote

All in all, about the best that could be hoped for.

Good for Jackie! And good on you.

Old June 16th 04, 12:39 AM
Mary

"dgk" wrote

Old June 16th 04, 12:39 AM
Mary

"dgk" wrote

Old June 16th 04, 12:51 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , dgk at
wrote on 6/15/04 5:56 PM:

[...]

Great! Almost a pound is terrific. I hope she can get up high enough for the
flea treatment. I hope you can find a way to control her gum problems.

Old June 16th 04, 01:46 AM
Cathy Friedmann

So far, so good; better than it looked like it might turn out, initially. I
hope she'll continue to gain weight, & do better & better.

Cathy