Kitty skin breakout

Old June 19th 04, 04:27 AM
minerva nine

That sounds suspiciously like flea dermatitis or ear mites. Do
you give him a regular flea treatment? If not, I'd recommend a
dipping/bath, and start him on a regular flea treatment,
especially if he has access to the outdoors. -- M9

"Singer709" wrote in message
om...
My big orange buddy RJ has a small group of "zits" on his

forehead,
just beneath his ears and above his eyes. They are like a

small rash.
He's not scratching them at all (other than his normal

grooming), and
he's otherwise in perfect health. His eyes and ears are all

fine, too.

I can pick them off like little dandruff scabs, and if I

scratch them
he's not in any pain or discomfort.

I am very short on funds and want to avoid the vet unless

absolutely
needed. Should I use some small amount of skin lotion to

soothe this
surface breakout?

Thanks.

Old June 19th 04, 02:29 PM
Singer709

kaeli wrote in message . ..
In article ,
enlightened us with...
My big orange buddy RJ has a small group of "zits" on his forehead,
just beneath his ears and above his eyes. They are like a small rash.
He's not scratching them at all (other than his normal grooming), and
he's otherwise in perfect health. His eyes and ears are all fine, too.

I can pick them off like little dandruff scabs, and if I scratch them
he's not in any pain or discomfort.

I am very short on funds and want to avoid the vet unless absolutely
needed. Should I use some small amount of skin lotion to soothe this
surface breakout?

Thanks.

Disclaimer: IANAV

From what I read, feline acne is almost always on the chin because of
some glands nearby and is like bad human acne - the bumps get big and
sometimes infected and are uncomfortable.

Without more info, it's hard to say what it is. Could be anything from
flea bites to mites to ringworm to allergies or just dry skin.
Is there any possibility it is from mites, fleas, or ringworm?
If it really is just dry skin, some oil in the food or water once or
twice a week can help. Anything else pretty much needs a vet visit, if
only to figure out the cause.
I don't think human skin lotion would help, but there is some stuff at
the pet store specifically for cats, both topical and as oil/food
supplements. The cat might lick the human lotion off, and there's all
kinds of chemicals in there you don't really want them ingesting.

Honestly, though, it kinda sounds like healing (scabbing) insect bites
(fleas or skeeters) to me, but without really seeing the cat, it's hard
to say.

--

RJ is a 100% indoor guy, and has no cat or dog contacts. He definitely
does not have fleas. I'm thinking it's simply dry skin?
Old June 19th 04, 02:29 PM
Singer709

kaeli wrote in message . ..
In article ,
enlightened us with...
My big orange buddy RJ has a small group of "zits" on his forehead,
just beneath his ears and above his eyes. They are like a small rash.
He's not scratching them at all (other than his normal grooming), and
he's otherwise in perfect health. His eyes and ears are all fine, too.

I can pick them off like little dandruff scabs, and if I scratch them
he's not in any pain or discomfort.

I am very short on funds and want to avoid the vet unless absolutely
needed. Should I use some small amount of skin lotion to soothe this
surface breakout?

Thanks.

Disclaimer: IANAV

From what I read, feline acne is almost always on the chin because of

Old June 19th 04, 02:29 PM
Singer709

kaeli wrote in message . ..
In article ,
enlightened us with...
My big orange buddy RJ has a small group of "zits" on his forehead,
just beneath his ears and above his eyes. They are like a small rash.
He's not scratching them at all (other than his normal grooming), and
he's otherwise in perfect health. His eyes and ears are all fine, too.

I can pick them off like little dandruff scabs, and if I scratch them
he's not in any pain or discomfort.

I am very short on funds and want to avoid the vet unless absolutely
needed. Should I use some small amount of skin lotion to soothe this
surface breakout?

Thanks.

Disclaimer: IANAV

From what I read, feline acne is almost always on the chin because of

Old June 19th 04, 11:14 PM
MacCandace

RJ is a 100% indoor guy, and has no cat or dog contacts. He definitely
does not have fleas. I'm thinking it's simply dry skin?

Just an FYI. Totally indoor cats can definitely have fleas. My totally indoor
cats had 2 separate bouts of them when I lived in an apartment. They never
went out, even on the balcony, or had any sort of contact with other animals
but they got 'em. You can bring fleas in on your shoes and clothes if they're
in the grass. Do you live in an area where fleas are common?

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)