Very old cat and feral kitten

Old November 30th 04, 01:26 AM
Alice Adams via CatKB.com

Default Very old cat and feral kitten

I have an 18 year old cat who has, along with me, been howling for six months since her sister died. A healthy feral cat at my community garden had kittens and I want to adopt one (it has cured my howling). I'd like to know all the possible diseases, worms, and so on that might be a problem, though the kittens and the mother seem to be very healthy. For example, can my old cat get worms if they share a litter box (though I saw no evidence of worms when I had the kittens in a box inside during some cold rain)? If the kitten is carrying FIV, is that an instant death sentence for my old cat? Please keep to health issues; my old lady is wilder than the kitten and I've sorted out how to protect the little guy until he can hit back.

Old November 30th 04, 01:41 AM
Mary

--

I'm sorry, I don't understand. You of course plan to take the kitten to the
vet first thing, right?

Old November 30th 04, 08:08 PM
Priscilla H. Ballou

Get the kitten to a vet for testing/deworming/vaccination before
bringing it into the house, or before letting it out of a room where
it's in isolation. All these issues can be resolved by discussion with
your vet and action by your vet.

Priscilla
Old November 30th 04, 11:46 PM
J1Boss

For example, can my old cat get worms if they share a litter box (though I
saw no evidence of worms when I had the kittens in a box inside during some
cold rain)? If the kitten is carrying FIV, is that an instant death sentence
for my old cat? Please keep to health issues; my old lady is wilder than the
kitten and I've sorted out how to protect the little guy until he can hit
back.

Last time I adopted a street cat, he got a full vet check before I brought him
home to my existing cat. A good idea before making any decision.

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Old December 1st 04, 04:29 AM
Alice Adams via CatKB.com

I was taken to the laundry by the vet who did not save my old cat's sister, so I was trying to avoid another nasty experience. The "You of course" and "Your vet" messages must come from people with deep pockets.

Old December 1st 04, 04:32 AM
Alice Adams via CatKB.com

And I want to add that my childhood cat lived to 22 with one trip to the vet to get spayed, and my sisters were grocery store kittens and also went once for spaying and made it to 17 and still going strong at 18, so I must be doing something right.

Old December 1st 04, 04:54 AM
KellyH

"Alice Adams via CatKB.com" wrote in message
And I want to add that my childhood cat lived to 22 with one trip to the
vet to get spayed, and my sisters were grocery store kittens and also went
once for spaying and made it to 17 and still going strong at 18, so I must
be doing something right.

That's all fine and dandy, but a kitten with an unknown history *especially*
needs to be seen by the vet, unless you have a microscope, FeLV/FIV tests, a
stash of medicine and vaccines, the ability to diagnose parasites, and know
how to perform a spay or neuter. Not trying to be a smart ass, but everyone
here is just trying to give you the best advice.
This kitten should remain separated from your adult cat until he or she is
seen by a vet. This kitten could have any number of parasites or diseases
and your cat is up there in years. The kitten could have roundworms,
giardia, FeLV, fleas, ticks, earmites, etc. Is there a low-cost clinic, such
as a humane society that you could take the kitten to?

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old December 1st 04, 05:23 AM
Mary

"Alice Adams via CatKB.com" wrote in message
I was taken to the laundry by the vet who did not save my old cat's

sister, so I was trying to avoid another nasty experience. The "You of
course" and "Your vet" messages must come from people with deep pockets.

--

A visit to the vet is not expensive. You would just rather spend that money
on something else.
Buck up and do the right thing.Kittens need to be seen by a vet, to have
their shots, etc. Period.
Deep pockets my ass.What we have is hearts big enough to dictate what we do
with what is in our pockets so
that we do the right thing for our animals. I spent $245.00 on an ultrasound
for one of
my cats just to put my mind at ease that she does not have heart disease.
Could I have used
that $245 for something else? You bet. My electric bill is more than that
this month. I have
two faucets dripping that need a plumber, and are driving my water bill way
up. I need to see
the dentist for a cleaning and other things, I could use some decent clothes
for the holidays,
and my last doctor's visit included an xray my insurance will not pay so I
owe that to the
doctor before I see him next month. However, my two cats will have their
checkups first,
even if my doctor has to wait. I work for a living and support myself with
my own labor.
My cats depend on me. It is all a matter of your priorities. The vet might
charge you $60
to see that kitten and give it shots. Jesus.

Old December 1st 04, 05:24 AM
Mary

"Alice Adams via CatKB.com" wrote in message
And I want to add that my childhood cat lived to 22 with one trip to the

vet to get spayed, and my sisters were grocery store kittens and also went
once for spaying and made it to 17 and still going strong at 18, so I must
be doing something right.

Now that's brilliant. You lucked out with a cat genetically predisposed to
good health. Do NOT take on a kitten
if you will not get it the vet visit it needs to ensure it is not sick and
will not endanger your cat.

Old December 1st 04, 09:20 PM
Priscilla H. Ballou

"Alice Adams via CatKB.com" wrote:

I was taken to the laundry by the vet who did not save my old cat's sister, so I was
trying to avoid another nasty experience. The "You of course" and "Your vet" messages
must come from people with deep pockets.

What are you doing adopting a cat when you can't afford to take care of
it properly?

Priscilla