Rocky's new collar

Old October 8th 04, 12:35 AM
Steve Touchstone

Default Rocky's new collar

Background:

The squirrels around here are no dummies. They know they have plenty
of time to get away if a cat spots them on the other side of the chain
link fence. It's common here to see two tuxedo kitties, and one mostly
white, black and white kitty, crouched down, tails lashing, intently
watching a squirrel sitting under the pecan tree a few feet away.

Every so often I decide to buy a collar for Rocky. At first it was a
real fight to put one on, but now he meekly lets me put it on. Thing
is, it isn't long before he comes home without it on. Well, actually I
guess I help him get them off. Since he's outside so much of the time
I want to make sure he could escape if he were to ever get hung up on
something. So I buy safetly collars, and if I think it doesn't pull
open easy enough, I trim the little plastic tabs so it opens easier.

Today:

I bought him another collar today. My plan was to get it adjusted and
remove the little bell, since I've learned the collar lasts longer
without the bell. He patiently let me adjust it and put it on. I was
still making the final adjustments when a squirrel came down and
started searching for pecans. LB and Sammy ran over and started
watching the squirrel. The squirrel pretended to ignore them - while
keeping one eye on them and making sure they weren't jumping the
fence.

Rocky figured he'd been patient long enough, so he took off running to
join the squirrel watchers. The thing was I hadn't gotten around to
removing the bell, yet. After a few feet he heard the bell, and
screetched to a stop. He looked around on the ground, trying to figure
out where the strange noise was coming from. You could see him puzzle
over the problem. He saw a pecan on the ground, and batted it around -
no noise. Walked a little ways - still quiet. Sat down to groom
himself and consider the problem. When he reached back to wash his
back the bell tickled again. He spun around in circles trying to see
what was making the noise, but couldn't spot anything. Started
sniffing around on the ground and batted a couple more pecans, because
it sounded like it was either right behind him or on the ground under
him.

Finally, when I could control my laughter, I went over and took off
the collar and removed the bell. Surprizingly, he let me put it back
on without a fight. Each collar seems to last a little longer. The
first lasted half a day, the last lasted almost a month. We'll have to
wait and see how long this one lasts. If I can ever get him to wear
them long enough I'll put a tag on with his name and phone number, so
hopefully if something were to happen I'd be notified.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old October 8th 04, 01:18 PM
Lisa Katt

Steve Touchstone skrev i meddelandet ...
snip
Finally, when I could control my laughter, I went over and took off
the collar and removed the bell. Surprizingly, he let me put it back
on without a fight. Each collar seems to last a little longer. The
first lasted half a day, the last lasted almost a month. We'll have to
wait and see how long this one lasts. If I can ever get him to wear
them long enough I'll put a tag on with his name and phone number, so
hopefully if something were to happen I'd be notified.
--

When Hugo Katt gets a new collar I always write his name and phone number
with a marker inside it. At least once I have got him back by this, when he

Old October 8th 04, 10:09 PM
polonca12000

Great story, I really enjoyed it! Thanks.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old October 10th 04, 01:38 AM
Christine Burel

Rocky is a good sport, Steve! That must've been some sight when he was
trying to figure out the bell!
Christine

Old October 10th 04, 02:47 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 18:38:34 -0600, "Christine Burel"
wrote:

Rocky is a good sport, Steve! That must've been some sight when he was
trying to figure out the bell!

It was good for a good laugh, alright. This was the first time I put
the collar on before removing the bell.

BTW he hasn't ditched the collar yet
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Rocky's autobiography (looong) Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 39 September 10th 04 02:56 PM
Clyde - Collared Bev Cat anecdotes 36 April 30th 04 06:54 AM
Rocky's new milestone Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 4 November 16th 03 07:54 PM