Cooking for Cats

Old April 20th 05, 01:45 AM
-L.

Default Cooking for Cats

Does anyone else here cook foods specially for your cats? I have
started to feed Peewee cooked turkey and chicken - sometimes roasted,
sometimes boiled, usually with garlic. he does so much better when
he's eating mainly home-made food. Does anyone else do this? What
other meats do you cook? Has anyone tried liver? Are there any things
to avoid?I hate to spend money on it if he won't eat it.

Everytime I give him his meat his eyes just light up. I think he
thinks he's "special" because he's eggtinmg so much more attention.

-L.

Old April 20th 05, 02:02 AM
jmcquown

-L. wrote:
Does anyone else here cook foods specially for your cats? I have
started to feed Peewee cooked turkey and chicken - sometimes roasted,
sometimes boiled, usually with garlic. he does so much better when
he's eating mainly home-made food. Does anyone else do this? What
other meats do you cook? Has anyone tried liver? Are there any
things to avoid?I hate to spend money on it if he won't eat it.

Everytime I give him his meat his eyes just light up. I think he
thinks he's "special" because he's eggtinmg so much more attention.

-L.

I don't, but avoid onions at all costs. I'm not even sure garlic is good
for cats but don't quote me on that. Suggestion: look at the cat food
flavours available. Beef, liver (sure), chicken, turkey, lamb to get ideas.

Jill

Old April 20th 05, 02:23 AM
Smokie Darling (Annie)

-L. wrote:
Does anyone else here cook foods specially for your cats? I have
started to feed Peewee cooked turkey and chicken - sometimes roasted,
sometimes boiled, usually with garlic. he does so much better when
he's eating mainly home-made food. Does anyone else do this? What
other meats do you cook? Has anyone tried liver? Are there any

things
to avoid?I hate to spend money on it if he won't eat it.

Everytime I give him his meat his eyes just light up. I think he
thinks he's "special" because he's eggtinmg so much more attention.

-L.

I give Li'l Bit (the preggers stray) turkey meat (lunch meat), or
rather I used to. She is not liking her "rich" stuff, since she's
giving it a "rerun" right after eating it. It's directly related
because she keeps her cat food down (both crunchies, and crunchies
mixed with a little tuna and warm water).

However, they adore hamburger and steak (raw), chicken cooked and pork
cooked (I won't feed them that raw, too scary). I've tried liver (I
love it), but they don't seem to care for it cooked or raw.

All of my cats, internal and external, adore pork (even Smokie, who
isn't fond of "people" food). They don't like ham though, I think it's
too salty for 'em.

Smokie Darling (Annie)

Old April 20th 05, 02:34 AM
Hopitus

Well, my cats eat a special dry food I buy from TED, but
for holidays when turkey is roasted, they always get to
eat all the giblets, boiled w/seasonings just as if I was going to put same
in stuffing (no one in our family likes giblets in stuffing or gravy
anyway). They seem to enjoy
that, and as you point out, other holidays when we have a ham, it's no use
to offer them ham, they don't like it.

"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old April 20th 05, 02:42 AM
Mathew Kagis

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone else here cook foods specially for your cats? I have
started to feed Peewee cooked turkey and chicken - sometimes roasted,
sometimes boiled, usually with garlic. he does so much better when
he's eating mainly home-made food. Does anyone else do this? What
other meats do you cook? Has anyone tried liver? Are there any things
to avoid?I hate to spend money on it if he won't eat it.

Everytime I give him his meat his eyes just light up. I think he
thinks he's "special" because he's eggtinmg so much more attention.

-L.

Mine get chicken or beef, sometimes salmon... LIGHTLY poached, just to cook
off surface bacteria, blue rare would describe the rest...

I've been trying the ocasional 'raw' meal... got my recipie he
http://www.pet-grub.com/

On garlic.... Not indicated for cats, in large ammounts it can be toxic...
I'n very minor ammounts, only once in a while... You should be Ok.

Cheers!
--

Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

Old April 20th 05, 03:02 AM
Shiral

I used to feed my three a raw food diet, mixing raw chicken and turkey
with Sojourner Farm's dried cat food mix. Until I realized feeding
them this diet was breaking the bank, what with the ever rising prices
of people food, especially meat. I now feed them Canned Science Diet,
and I have to admit, I don't miss the extra time it used to take to mix
up a mess o' cat food once a week, or the fun of handling raw meat.
(The week's supply was kept in the freezer until needed.) They seem to
like the Science Diet okay.

Melissa

Old April 20th 05, 03:18 AM
Cheryl

On Tue 19 Apr 2005 08:45:28p, -L. wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
roups.com):

Does anyone else here cook foods specially for your cats? I
have started to feed Peewee cooked turkey and chicken -
sometimes roasted, sometimes boiled, usually with garlic. he
does so much better when he's eating mainly home-made food.
Does anyone else do this? What other meats do you cook? Has
anyone tried liver? Are there any things to avoid?I hate to
spend money on it if he won't eat it.

Everytime I give him his meat his eyes just light up. I think
he thinks he's "special" because he's eggtinmg so much more
attention.

-L.

I cook chicken breasts and freeze the meat in small portions and
dole it out once a week or so. It used to be daily when Shadow was
alive, but these guys don't expect daily treats like he did after
his meds. Everyone loves it!

I used to give Shamrock raw chicken liver every weekend and he was
very funny when I gave it to him. He'd growl at anyone that got
close. Eventually he didn't really like it raw anymore, so
sometimes I just lightly cook some in the microwave for him for a
snack. The kittens don't really like it.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old April 20th 05, 04:39 AM
Marina

-L. wrote:

Does anyone else here cook foods specially for your cats?

I give my older cats raw meat about every second day. Mere doesn't
recognize cat food - neither wet nor dry - as food, so she gets raw meat
every day. I only cook the seithe, but that's really just to thaw it
quicker. Raw meat is better, because cooking destroys the taurine. Of
course, you have to find very clean meat. If I give mine pork, I make
sure it's organic. I prefer giving them beef, because cows are treated
pretty well here in Finland. The few times I give them chicken or
turkey, I just poach it quickly to kill any salmonella, not that there
has been any salmonella in Finland for ages.

Then I supplement with vitamin pills (made for cats, they gobble them
down like treats) and I crush a kalcium tablet and mix it in some dairy
product like sour cream. Mere also gets some Nutri-plus gel now and
then. She's a bit of a worry to me, because she refuses to eat cat food,
and she's very small and skinny for her age (her brother is almost
double her size), but she seems alright, alert and playful.

--
Marina, Frank, Nikki, and introducing: Mere!
Old April 20th 05, 09:21 AM
-L.

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:
I give Li'l Bit (the preggers stray) turkey meat (lunch meat), or
rather I used to. She is not liking her "rich" stuff, since she's
giving it a "rerun" right after eating it. It's directly related
because she keeps her cat food down (both crunchies, and crunchies
mixed with a little tuna and warm water).

However, they adore hamburger and steak (raw), chicken cooked and

pork
cooked (I won't feed them that raw, too scary). I've tried liver (I
love it), but they don't seem to care for it cooked or raw.

All of my cats, internal and external, adore pork (even Smokie, who
isn't fond of "people" food). They don't like ham though, I think

it's
too salty for 'em.

Smokie Darling (Annie)

I have always been afraid of raw meat - salmonella and the likes. More
and more people have been sating it's ok, though...

-L.

Old April 20th 05, 09:23 AM
-L.

Mathew Kagis wrote:
Mine get chicken or beef, sometimes salmon... LIGHTLY poached, just

to cook
off surface bacteria, blue rare would describe the rest...

I've been trying the ocasional 'raw' meal... got my recipie he
http://www.pet-grub.com/

On garlic.... Not indicated for cats, in large ammounts it can be

toxic...
I'n very minor ammounts, only once in a while... You should be Ok.

Cheers!
--

Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat
En Vino Veritas

All the research I did said garlic was ok, onions, not. Thanks for the
link - I will check it out.

-L.