Cat Allergies And Itching?

Old January 6th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Cat Allergies And Itching?

I was the one that posted about the swelling on my cats bottom lip and
chin. It was suggested it might be an allergy to his plastic dishes or
food. Wouldn't such allergies cause itching though? Still trying to
figure out what's going on with him. I'm not encouraged about reading
about vets not helping and giving things that might harm cats such as
cortisone shots.
Old January 6th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

It isn't an allergy so much as it is the fact that bacteria grow like
crazy on plastic dishes - therefore it is an infection and your little
one probably needs antibiotics and new, nonplastic dishes.

Old January 6th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

There may be itching involved with an allergic reaction, but not
necessarily. My cat has allergies of some kind. We aren't exactly sure
what is the cause...whether it's food or environmental. (We thought it may
be food related but now I'm leaning towards environmental since it seems to
be worse in spring and fall.) He gets sores on his mouth and on his foot
pads. He scratches some, but not enough that you would think that he's
having a real problem. If it's any consolation, my vet has yet to give my
cat a cortisone shot or any type of steroids for his allergies. We have
changed his food to a novel protein diet and have been able to treat his
outbreaks (when he has them) with antibiotics. So I don't think it's
automatic that a vet will treat with steroids (even though I do understand
that this is a normal treatment for allergies and my vet has said that if my
cat's problems worsen, steriods would be a course of treatment).

S.
---

Old January 6th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

wrote in message
I was the one that posted about the swelling on my cats bottom lip and
chin. It was suggested it might be an allergy to his plastic dishes or
food. Wouldn't such allergies cause itching though? Still trying to
figure out what's going on with him. I'm not encouraged about reading
about vets not helping and giving things that might harm cats such as
cortisone shots.

Have you tried taking this cat to the vet to find out which allergy he has?
They can diagnose whether or not it is the plastic dishes or not. You can't
let someone else's poor experience at a vet prevent you from going to yours
and having it diagnosed especially if they're good. My cats at one time had
plastic water dishes and did just fine.

Old January 6th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jan 6, 11:50 am, "Cat Protector" wrote:
wrote in message

I was the one that posted about the swelling on my cats bottom lip and
chin. It was suggested it might be an allergy to his plastic dishes or
food. Wouldn't such allergies cause itching though? Still trying to
figure out what's going on with him. I'm not encouraged about reading
about vets not helping and giving things that might harm cats such as
cortisone shots.

Have you tried taking this cat to the vet to find out which allergy he has?
They can diagnose whether or not it is the plastic dishes or not. You can't
let someone else's poor experience at a vet prevent you from going to yours
and having it diagnosed especially if they're good. My cats at one time had
plastic water dishes and did just fine.

Thanks guys! He was fine for over 3 years with those plastic water and
feed dishes, but I got him stainless ones anyway. They were old and
used before, but I didn't realize the bacteria issues. He's eating
from glass ones now until they come. It's just that there seems to be
a link between diabetes and steroids, so I'm very concerned. I will
take him next week, when I'm back to where he is, if it doesn't look
any better. I don't live with the cat all the time.