I'm going home!!

Old April 1st 11, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

Default I'm going home!!

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message ...

On 3/31/2011 12:55 PM, ~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:
"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message ...

On 3/31/2011 8:56 AM, ~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:
It's hard to believe that I've been here in upstate NY for 16 years.
I'm tired of the winters and I'm tired of missing all of my friends.
Home is Jacksonville, FL. I have a lot to do before I head home (like
sell my house and find one to buy down there). Here's where I hope
y'all can help. The drive is 18 hours. I'm going to rent a van so that
I can have my 2 d*gs and 2 cats in crates. Right now I'm thinking of
driving 7 hours a day. Do y'all think that's too much for the cats?
D*gs will be easy b/c I can stop and let them out. I have also looked
up 'pet friendly' motels. I thought about letting the cats out in the
van (while I'm parked at a rest area) and have a litter box set up in
the back if they need to use it. But I have the fear of them escaping
when I open the door to get back into the vehicle. What is the best way
to drive this distance so that my cats have minimal stress?? I really
need some opinions and advice. TIA!!

Instead of the normal carriers (that you would take them to the vet in)
- not much bigger than the cat(s), can you get a larger 'dog crate'
type? Then a small litter pan in with them wouldn't be much of a
problem, and you can move the entire crate, cats & all, into the motel
(if you happen to get one), open the door and let them explore the room
& stretch their legs (once you're in for the night & there's no fear of
them escaping through an open doorway - could hang a 'no maid service'
or 'do not disturb' sign on the door to keep the maids away until you
get them back into the crate).

I'm talking about one of these:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=12524

--------

I do have Happy's dog crate. He went to the RB this past November. He
was a Basset Hound, so the crate I have for him is fairly large. I have
thought about doing exactly what you suggested, but I worry about one
thing. While Oscar and Maui are VERY close (they sleep together cuddled
up in a ball most of the times), I worry about them getting into a snit
due to the stress of the travel. I'd hate to hear howling and hissing
while I'm doing 60 mph on down the road. They have never reacted to
each other like that, but it's a 'what if' thing I've had run through my
mind (along with 100 other what if type worries). If I do do the large
crate for them, I would use a boot shoe box for a little tray. Maui is
almost 20 lbs., so he'd need the larger size shoe box. At night, I will
have a regular sized litter box down for them. And since I'll be
traveling with someone (my dad maybe) who will be driving my car, I
won't leave the hotel room. I'll have whoever grab me a salad or
something. And I'll also have the do not disturb sign up. The whole
trip is gonna be HIGH ANXIETY for me, but it's only 3 days, and then I
will never, ever, ever, never move again!!

Thanks for your input!!

If you *are* planning on using the crate, start getting them used to it
NOW, way before the move. Close them both in there for a few minutes a
day, then a few hours.... maybe even take a few trips around the block
with them in the crate (providing you can carry it & fit it into your
car)? Hopefully, by the time you move, they will be used to the close
confines of the crate, and the movement of the vehicle, so it will be
less stressful for them...

I'm full of ideas, but I've never had to move with a cat (been in our
house since 1993, and have accumulated the cats since then)...

-----

Another great idea!! I will definitely get it out, clean it, and put their
favorite towels in it. I can't put it in my car tho', b/c I drive a sports
coupe. It's pretty small. I have SOOOO many things to do to get this house
ready for the market. I'm going to have a huge garage sale this summer with
hopes of unloading a bunch of junk. I'm glad I asked about traveling w/the
cats now, b/c I was going to sell Happy's crate. Thanks again, Magic!!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY

Old April 2nd 11, 11:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
[...]

I've only ever driven one way with Persia, from Tennessee to South Carolina.
And I was only dealing with one cat She didn't put up a fuss, which is a
good thing. She just sat quietly in her carrier, strapped in the back seat.
It was a 750 mile drive but we took it slowly over a three day period so as
not to stress her too much. It's good you've checked for pet friendly
motels along the way. And I'm glad to report there are a lot of them! Be
prepared to pay an extra $15-20 a night for the pets, though.

Another good piece of advice you've been given includes hanging the Do Not
Disturb sign on the door so the maids don't accidentally let them out. And
put them in the bathroom. If I'd known better I would have shut Persia in
the bathroom.

She gave us a real scare once at a motel when we walked across the street to
get a bite to eat. We came back and couldn't find her. She'd tucked
herself behind the night stand and, being a dark grey cat, we couldn't see
her! We searched high and low. We ran around like maniacs outside calling
for her. John quizzed the maids and the desk clerks. I thought for sure
she'd escaped somehow. Nope, she'd just tucked herself into a dark corner
because she was a little freaked out being in a strange place. It
definitely would have been better for all concerned if we'd shut her in the
bathroom.

Jill

Old April 2nd 11, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 4/2/2011 6:56 AM, jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Another idea:

When my brother retired from the US Air Force, and due to a civilian job
relocation, moved from Sacramento, California, to Albequerque, New
Mexico, he had a wife, a dog, two cats *and* two grade/middle
school-aged children to move as well. His solution? Bought an RV
(thought about leasing/renting, but weren't sure how long they would
need it). A large one. They 'camped' at rest areas/parks during the
trip, and when they arrived in New Mexico, lived in a campground until
they purchased their house and were able to move in. All their furniture
& household stuff from Sacramento was packed up & stored by a moving
company until they had the new home. I'm pretty sure lots of feathers
and fur were ruffled with all of them living in the RV for a couple
weeks, but all worked out! Took 10 years to sell the RV, though - not
much of a market for one where they moved to.