Side effects of Zithromax?

Old November 10th 03, 05:21 AM
Dave

Default Side effects of Zithromax?

Hello,

Has anyone heard of side effects from Zithromax being used for a feline
respiratory infection? One of our cats at the sanctuary where I volunteer
was prescribed this medication by the vet. Within a day she developed
seizures and unfortunately, lived only couple of days. The vet did not
speculate on what caused the seizures (e.g., whether it could have been
related to the medication, or whether something else entirely different
happened, like a brain tumor or something toxic).

I plan to seek another opinion, but wanted to see whether anyone had heard
of such side effects.

Thanks much,
Dave

Old November 10th 03, 05:03 PM
Rene

"Dave" wrote in message ...
Hello,

Has anyone heard of side effects from Zithromax being used for a feline
respiratory infection? One of our cats at the sanctuary where I volunteer
was prescribed this medication by the vet. Within a day she developed
seizures and unfortunately, lived only couple of days. The vet did not
speculate on what caused the seizures (e.g., whether it could have been
related to the medication, or whether something else entirely different
happened, like a brain tumor or something toxic).

I plan to seek another opinion, but wanted to see whether anyone had heard
of such side effects.

Thanks much,
Dave

I don't know about feline reactions, but I can tell you from a human
experience that it's a powerful drug. I took it once for an infection,
and could not tolerate it. To put it simply, I spent more time in the
bathroom than out!

Sorry to hear about the kitty. I hope you find some answers.

Rene

Old November 10th 03, 07:07 PM
Karen M.

"Dave" wrote in message ...
Hello,

Has anyone heard of side effects from Zithromax being used for a feline
respiratory infection? One of our cats at the sanctuary where I volunteer
was prescribed this medication by the vet. Within a day she developed
seizures and unfortunately, lived only couple of days. The vet did not
speculate on what caused the seizures (e.g., whether it could have been
related to the medication, or whether something else entirely different
happened, like a brain tumor or something toxic).

I plan to seek another opinion, but wanted to see whether anyone had heard
of such side effects.

Thanks much,
Dave

Dave, I can't really tell you anything about potential side effects,
though it is certainly possible. I do know that zithromax was
prescribed to one of my cats who had a very severe URI. Other
antibiotics had been used and failed. He had the herpes strain, and
one of the worst cases the vets at *both* hospitals he was taken to
had seen. They told me it was being used experimentally, as it wasn't
"approved" for use in felines. We decided to try it, as nothing else
was proving effective. It worked beautifully on my Harry, with no side
effects in this case. Do you know what was wrong with the cat, and if
other medications had been tried? I'd be curious. Sorry the kitty
didn't make it.

Karen