Ever domesticated a feral cat?

Old February 24th 05, 02:47 PM
John Doe

Default Ever domesticated a feral cat?

Anyone here have personal experience living with a feral cat turned
indoor-only cat, long-term?

I'm just wondering how the progress went over time. Whether maybe it
takes years or longer. How slow is the transition? Do they ever fully
recover?

By "feral cat" I mean whatever house cat born in the wild, as wild as
possible for a house cat.

Just curious.
Old February 24th 05, 02:52 PM
Mary

"John Doe" wrote in message
Anyone here have personal experience living with a feral cat turned
indoor-only cat, long-term?

I'm just wondering how the progress went over time. Whether maybe it
takes years or longer. How slow is the transition? Do they ever fully
recover?

By "feral cat" I mean whatever house cat born in the wild, as wild as
possible for a house cat.

Just curious.

Why not try a Google search of this topic, which has been discussed
many, many times before? Just curious.

Old February 24th 05, 04:29 PM
John Doe

"Mary" wrote:
"John Doe" wrote in message

Anyone here have personal experience living with a feral cat
turned indoor-only cat, long-term?
I'm just wondering how the progress went over time. Whether maybe
it takes years or longer. How slow is the transition? Do they
ever fully recover?
By "feral cat" I mean whatever house cat born in the wild, as
wild as possible for a house cat.
Just curious.

Why not try a Google search of this topic, which has been discussed
many, many times before? Just curious.

Anything is possible, but considering you are a troll, I figure you
would have me go on a wild goose chase.

From: "Mary" marys @catlovernospam.com
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: Ever domesticated a feral cat?
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:52:42 -0500

see also:
"MaryS"
marys @catlover.com
crazyaboutfelines @yahoo.com
marys @catlovernospam.com
rosefan @email.com
Rhodes @newsguy.com

Old February 24th 05, 04:36 PM
Mary

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote:
"John Doe" wrote in message

Anyone here have personal experience living with a feral cat
turned indoor-only cat, long-term?
I'm just wondering how the progress went over time. Whether maybe
it takes years or longer. How slow is the transition? Do they
ever fully recover?
By "feral cat" I mean whatever house cat born in the wild, as
wild as possible for a house cat.
Just curious.

Why not try a Google search of this topic, which has been discussed
many, many times before? Just curious.

Anything is possible, but considering you are a troll, I figure you
would have me go on a wild goose chase.

I think you are an asshole, you think I am a troll, but regardless, if you
do a
simple Google search on "feral cat indoor" you will find plenty
of information on the topic. Ask anybody.

Old February 24th 05, 04:51 PM
John Doe

"Mary" wrote:
"John Doe" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote:

Why not try a Google search of this topic, which has been
discussed many, many times before? Just curious.

Anything is possible, but considering you are a troll, I figure
you would have me go on a wild goose chase.

I think you are an asshole, you think I am a troll,

If it weren't for the Internet, how would you find satisfaction? Do
you not have enough leverage to abuse others in person?

Since you have no experience, the thread cannot center around you
except as a product of your trolling. I think you are truly
desperate for attention.

From: "Mary" marys catlovernospam.com
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:52:42 -0500

Old February 24th 05, 05:13 PM
Mary

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote:
"John Doe" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote:

Why not try a Google search of this topic, which has been
discussed many, many times before? Just curious.

Anything is possible, but considering you are a troll, I figure
you would have me go on a wild goose chase.

I think you are an asshole, you think I am a troll,

If it weren't for the Internet, how would you find satisfaction? Do
you not have enough leverage to abuse others in person?

You started the name calling, dickhead.

Since you have no experience, the thread cannot center around you
except as a product of your trolling. I think you are truly
desperate for attention.

When I care what you think it will be a sad, sad day.
Now then, if you want to know how people incorporate
ferals into their homes as pets, a simple Google search
will tell you. The topic is discussed on a weekly basis.
Seems to me it is you who are starved for attention.

Old February 24th 05, 05:40 PM
Countrystuff

"John Doe" wrote in message
Anyone here have personal experience living with a feral cat turned
indoor-only cat, long-term?

I'm just wondering how the progress went over time. Whether maybe it
takes years or longer. How slow is the transition? Do they ever fully
recover?

By "feral cat" I mean whatever house cat born in the wild, as wild as
possible for a house cat.

Just curious.

We recently lost our Cat in the fall that we had for 15 yrs and turned ferel
to housecat.
He was the most beautiful cat we ever owned~
Now we have a new kitten the is the most beautifull cat we ever owned
Patience & Love will do the trick and a nuter or spay and shots will help
alot.
HTH.

Old February 24th 05, 09:20 PM
Priscilla H. Ballou

John Doe wrote:

Anyone here have personal experience living with a feral cat turned
indoor-only cat, long-term?
I'm just wondering how the progress went over time. Whether maybe it
takes years or longer. How slow is the transition? Do they ever fully
recover?
By "feral cat" I mean whatever house cat born in the wild, as wild as
possible for a house cat.

Yes. Sebastian lived in the wild (well the wilds of a defunct roofing
construction site in the city) for more than 12 weeks before he, his
2.5 months in my guestroom and gradually introduced him to my (at the
time) two other cats.

The speed of progress will depend upon the personality of the cat, the
age at which socialization begins, and probably a number of other
factors. There aren't any hard and fast rules.

I'm not sure "recover" is the word. Being feral isn't an illness. It's
a constellation of survival mechanisms which are (for the most part) no
longer needed once a cat is living indoors with people. Those
mechanisms may take a while to subside. Some of them may persist.

Sebbie sometimes looks like a regular domestic cat, and at other times
his feral behaviors come front and center. It depends on the
circumstances. At 4 years old and 3.7 years living with me, however, he
is very different from the terrified kitten who hid behind the drapes
hissing and who would punch me (with no claws extended) if I tried to
put my hand too close. While it took him 16 days to initially allow me
to touch him, he now is a total junkie for grooming and loves to have
his belly nuzzled. Just don't approach him straight on, looking in his
eye, or let him see two hands coming towards him simultaneously!

Priscilla
Old February 25th 05, 03:23 AM
John Doe

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote:

Yes. Sebastian lived in the wild (well the wilds of a defunct
roofing construction site in the city) for more than 12 weeks
before he, his siblings, and his mom were trapped and rehomed. I
socialized him for 2.5 months in my guestroom and gradually
introduced him to my (at the time) two other cats.

The speed of progress will depend upon the personality of the cat,
the age at which socialization begins, and probably a number of
other factors. There aren't any hard and fast rules.

I'm not sure "recover" is the word.

I agree, I was being concise.

Being feral isn't an illness. It's
a constellation of survival mechanisms which are (for the most
part) no longer needed once a cat is living indoors with people.
Those mechanisms may take a while to subside. Some of them may
persist.

Sebbie sometimes looks like a regular domestic cat, and at other
times his feral behaviors come front and center. It depends on the
circumstances. At 4 years old and 3.7 years living with me,
however, he is very different from the terrified kitten who hid
behind the drapes hissing and who would punch me (with no claws
extended) if I tried to put my hand too close. While it took him
16 days to initially allow me to touch him, he now is a total
junkie for grooming and loves to have his belly nuzzled.

Cool.

Just don't approach him straight on, looking in his
eye, or let him see two hands coming towards him simultaneously!

I do that sometimes as a playful taunt, moving my hands and saying
something about "human hands" (being all over the place).

Thanks for the tips. One thing I try to do with any cat is give it
verbal notice before I touch it unexpected.

Old February 26th 05, 09:10 PM
Rhonda

We've done this twice. Once with apprx. 10-week old sisters, born and
eventually trapped outside where Walter works.

The vet at the time said cats over a couple of months old with no human
contact can be tough to "bring around," but she could tell ours would be
all right. They had been fed by humans, but still were terrified of
being touched. They started accepting pets and coming out to play within
the first three weeks. Two years later -- both love us and love
attention. One has become a basic, chair-stealing house cat, and the
other is nervous and skittery but also a love-bug who craves attention.
They both are wonderful cats, but both will disappear if the doorbell rings.

The other time we took in a feral -- she was apprx. 6 mos. old. She is a
very skittery cat and to this day (9 years later) does not come out
during the day. She still feels the need to hide most of the time, but
is one of the most affectionate and loyal cats I have ever known.
Because I worked so much with her in the beginning, she has decided I'm
her cat-mom. She has to sleep right beside me every night, and
continually wakes me up by rubbing her cheek against my face. She loves
to be petted and scritched. She will never be a lazy, chair-loafing cat,
but she is a joy. Each new breakthrough with her was great, and she now
lives a life that she is comfortable with. She will never march through
the middle of the room without a care, but has her moments of intense
affection. We just have to let her be her own cat.

Hope that helps,

Rhonda