Hyperthyroid

Old October 7th 05, 10:56 PM
Space

Default Hyperthyroid

My 13 yr old cat has hyperthyroid, excess energy, losing weight etc. he is
on medication but he is still driving us nutty. he is sooo greedy all the
time. we feed the three cats the same flavour food each meal but he is
always going to someone else's bowl for their food. the 14 month old just
gets on with it and catches his own food to supplement his diet. whereas the
lady of the house decides to just walk away and let him scoff her food.

we feed them with wet food to make it easy for the 13 yr old's tablets.

i am in the UK - what additional food would someone recommend? i don't want
to leave out a bowl of dry food with no nutritional value.

Old October 7th 05, 11:14 PM
Gail

I would increase his food. In spite of being on meds, he still needs more.
Why not add another few meals?
Gail

Old October 7th 05, 11:19 PM
Space

he already gets 4 meals a day. at the risk of sounding selfish it is
difficult, working full time, feeding three cats 4 times a day, whilst
ensuring that twice a day Felix gets his drugs and also keeping the other
two away from his food. he is constantly at the fridge, cooking a meal is a
nightmare. his blood test was done about 2 months after starting his
medication and it was fine. i do think he may need to go back in. and that
is a nightmare as well.

also, the drugs should be regulating his appetite

i sound really peeved - i am.
it is hard work but my cats are worth it

ink.net...

Old October 7th 05, 11:22 PM
Gail

Is there high quality dry food that he can available to him at all times (in
the UK)? In the United States, I like the Max Cat dry food in addition to
quality canned food.
Gail
"Space" wrote in message
he already gets 4 meals a day. at the risk of sounding selfish it is
difficult, working full time, feeding three cats 4 times a day, whilst
ensuring that twice a day Felix gets his drugs and also keeping the other
two away from his food. he is constantly at the fridge, cooking a meal is
nightmare. his blood test was done about 2 months after starting his
medication and it was fine. i do think he may need to go back in. and
that
is a nightmare as well.

also, the drugs should be regulating his appetite

i sound really peeved - i am.
it is hard work but my cats are worth it

ink.net...

Old October 7th 05, 11:32 PM
Space

yes there is - maybe i should have been more clear.

hills science diet is available and that is what i used to feed them on
before felxi was diagnosed.
sorry it is proving hard to type at the minute.... the lady of the house has
just jumped up on my lap!!

i was thinking of something from the supermarket.... as an addition and not
as a "main meal" so to speak.

ink.net...

"Space" wrote in message
he already gets 4 meals a day. at the risk of sounding selfish it is
difficult, working full time, feeding three cats 4 times a day, whilst
ensuring that twice a day Felix gets his drugs and also keeping the

other
two away from his food. he is constantly at the fridge, cooking a meal

is
nightmare. his blood test was done about 2 months after starting his
medication and it was fine. i do think he may need to go back in. and
that
is a nightmare as well.

also, the drugs should be regulating his appetite

i sound really peeved - i am.
it is hard work but my cats are worth it

ink.net...

Old October 8th 05, 12:50 AM
Lumpy

"Space" wrote in message
he already gets 4 meals a day. at the risk of sounding selfish it is
difficult, working full time, feeding three cats 4 times a day, whilst
ensuring that twice a day Felix gets his drugs and also keeping the other
two away from his food.

I sure understand this. I wonder why you feed him four times a day? I have
a hyperthyroid cat that used to be free fed, but after being on her
medication
for over a year, she was cut back to being fed canned food twice a day. She
hated it at first but got used to it.

he is constantly at the fridge, cooking a meal is a
nightmare. his blood test was done about 2 months after starting his
medication and it was fine. i do think he may need to go back in. and

that
is a nightmare as well.

They are major creatures of habit. While I hope you do take him back in,
he may be hounding you for food out of sheer habit.

also, the drugs should be regulating his appetite

Yes, they should. They did our girl's.

i sound really peeved - i am.
it is hard work but my cats are worth it

I think it would be easier on you to feed your cats twice a day
about 12 hours apart--after your breakfast and after your dinner,
perhaps--and pilling your hyperthyroid cat just after feeding. I find
my girl easiest to pill WHILE she is eating. I put down her canned
food and let her take a few bites then swoop in and toss the pill in
as far back in her throat as I can, dead in the middle so she cannot
work it out with her tongue. She eagerly swallows to get it out of
the way to get to her food again. Incidentally--she was a BEAST
about demanding to be fed at first. I waited her out but it was not
easy.

Old October 8th 05, 02:31 AM
Phil P.

"Space" wrote in message
My 13 yr old cat has hyperthyroid, excess energy, losing weight etc. he

is
on medication but he is still driving us nutty. he is sooo greedy all the
time. we feed the three cats the same flavour food each meal but he is
always going to someone else's bowl for their food.

If your cat is still losing weight and has an ravenous appetite his
medication probably needs to be adjusted. I strongly suggest you take your
cat to the vet to have his serum T4 levels checked as soon as possible.

Old October 8th 05, 08:29 AM
Paul M. Cook

"Space" wrote in message
My 13 yr old cat has hyperthyroid, excess energy, losing weight etc. he

is
on medication but he is still driving us nutty. he is sooo greedy all the
time. we feed the three cats the same flavour food each meal but he is
always going to someone else's bowl for their food. the 14 month old just
gets on with it and catches his own food to supplement his diet. whereas

the
lady of the house decides to just walk away and let him scoff her food.

we feed them with wet food to make it easy for the 13 yr old's tablets.

i am in the UK - what additional food would someone recommend? i don't

want
to leave out a bowl of dry food with no nutritional value.

I fail to see a problem here. Leave out a bowl of high quality dry food.
There are many to choose from. Wellness brand is great but I do not know if
it is sold in the UK. Even decent quality commercial food is adequate in
the short term it will take to get the thyroid condition under control. Why
think long term when you have a short-term crisis?

It took months for my cat to stabilize on Tapazole. He started on .5mg
twice a day and is now up to 2mg twice a day. My vet had me bring him in
every 4 weeks for blood tests. Each time his T4 was elevated again. He
would stabilize briefly then his T4 would skyrocket again. Finally, he
seems to be stable 8 months later. So it is very likely that your cat needs
a medication adjustment.

The long term affect of an elevated thyroid is heart damage. Best not to
delay. You could ask the vet about radiocative iodine therapy. It is a one
time treatment and is a cure for HT. It is not advisable for all cats but
your vet will help you with that.

Paul

Old October 8th 05, 10:44 AM
Space

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message

I fail to see a problem here. Leave out a bowl of high quality dry food.
There are many to choose from. Wellness brand is great but I do not know

if
it is sold in the UK. Even decent quality commercial food is adequate in
the short term it will take to get the thyroid condition under control.

Why
think long term when you have a short-term crisis?

that is exactly what i am saying, if you read back. i just want to make
sure i am leaving food out that has a nutritional value. thanks for your
input anyway.

Old October 8th 05, 03:57 PM
Phil P.

"Space" wrote in message

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
Why
think long term when you have a short-term crisis?

that is exactly what i am saying, if you read back. i just want to make
sure i am leaving food out that has a nutritional value. thanks for your
input anyway.

I don't think you understand the situation and what the problem is-- its not
the food. If you're feeding him 4 times a day and he's still hungry and
losing weight he needs to be seen by a vet. His T4 levels need to be
determined and his medication probably needs to be adjusted. What part of
that don't you understand?