more on Hyperthyroid cat

Old November 9th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default more on Hyperthyroid cat

We had more lab work done and it came back possitive on the hyperthyroidism.
Willie is on the meds.
I'm having a really hard time posting to this newsgroup with my news rover
so I'll keep it short.
Jean
Old November 9th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
We had more lab work done and it came back possitive on the
hyperthyroidism.
Willie is on the meds.
I'm having a really hard time posting to this newsgroup with my news rover
so I'll keep it short.
Jean

Jean! I just took my hyperthyroid cat to the vet this morning, and four
years
after starting on the Tapazole (5 mgs twice a day) her levels are still
perfect.
About 2.8. And they started out being 10.8.

Every morning when I feed her canned food, I let her start on it then
lift her little head and toss her pill to the middle of the back of her
throat, so she can't work it around and out with her tongue. She wants
to get back to her food so badly, she cooperates and swallows. Then
I do the same thing at night. She is twelve years old, and from the first
month she has been on Tapazole, her levels have been normal, in the 2.0s.
She is now twelve and is a much happier, friskier cat. Willie is lucky you
caught and treated it!

Old November 9th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Glad Willie is being treated. You will, most likely, need to take him
in for a blood test periodically to see how his thyroid level is being
affected. Keep plugging away!

Old November 9th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Buddy's Mom" wrote in message
ups.com...
Glad Willie is being treated. You will, most likely, need to take him
in for a blood test periodically to see how his thyroid level is being
affected. Keep plugging away!

Every six months is what my vet requires. I just changed vets and they have
the same policy. Her levels have stayed the same over the years, so we are
very lucky.

Old November 10th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ChristyLynn

Your cats have no side effects on the Tapazole? My cat couldn't take it.
He had to be on a 2nd med for the side effects and then he was like a
zombie.

Old November 10th 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

my cat was 18 when diagnosed. What sort of side effects did your cat
have? Maybe they were part of the hyperthyroidism that wasn't being
treated?

Old November 10th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"ChristyLynn" wrote in message
Your cats have no side effects on the Tapazole? My cat couldn't take it.
He had to be on a 2nd med for the side effects and then he was like a
zombie.

Sounds like the dosage was not right. Although, hyperT cats are
"hypervigilant,"
twitchy and jumpy from their condition, so correcting it ought to make them
slow down a bit. Boo has been a new cat, happy as she can be, much more
relaxed but very active, too. She has no side effects. She used to vomit a
lot more before she was medicated, now not so much.

Old November 10th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ChristyLynn

When on the meds Toby developed a habit of biting himself, pulling his hair
out. He would be walking across a room and all of a sudden sit down and
start viciously licking and biting himself like he was being attacked by
invisible bugs. The vet then put him on another med for the side effects,
though I don't remember what, but it was probable something like valium or
an anti-anxiety med. He then was a zombie and just slept all the time.
Then we opted for the radiation treatment and he was wonderful for 8 more
years of his life.

Old November 10th 06, 10:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

wrote in message
We had more lab work done and it came back possitive on the

hyperthyroidism.
Willie is on the meds.
I'm having a really hard time posting to this newsgroup with my news rover
so I'll keep it short.
Jean

How old is he, Jean?

Phil

Old November 10th 06, 10:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"ChristyLynn" wrote in message
When on the meds Toby developed a habit of biting himself, pulling his

hair
out. He would be walking across a room and all of a sudden sit down and
start viciously licking and biting himself like he was being attacked by
invisible bugs. The vet then put him on another med for the side effects,
though I don't remember what, but it was probable something like valium or
an anti-anxiety med. He then was a zombie and just slept all the time.
Then we opted for the radiation treatment and he was wonderful for 8 more
years of his life.

Excoriation (especially facial) is one of the more common side effects of
Tapazole. My 13 year-old just stopped eating after about 4 months on
Tapazole so I had to opt for radioiodine tx. A lot vets will tell you some
cats become anorexic because of the bitter taste of Tapazole-- not true--
its the drug itself. I put the pill in a #4 gelcap and followed the cap
will 10 ml of water from day one- so she never tasted the pill.

She was a little hypOthyroid for a couple of months after I-131 tx- but
that's to be expected until the normal thyroid tissue becomes functional
again. Her T-4 has been dead-center-normal for the last few months. She
goes in again next week for her 6-month recheck. I'm not expecting any
surprises.

Phil