Battle for the Box!

Old February 22nd 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

Default Battle for the Box!

OK, anyone who *isn't* owned by a cat would look around my great-room and
think me quite eccentric. There are at least 9 empty boxes lying around on
the floor - the box from the new coffee maker we just bought, several shoe
boxes, the box from the CD I just received from eBay, etc., etc., etc.
Whenever we bring something home that comes in a box, the box gets put on
the great-room floor until it falls to pieces. Most of the boxes are placed
on their sides so that the openings face forward with the box flap serving
as either an "awning" or a "porch" (depending on which side is down) to the
cats' cardboard playhouse. The boxes range in size from Jessie petite to
Sammy humongous. Sammy will eye Jessie jealously when Jessie sits her
teeninsy iddle bum in a teeninsy iddle box, and tries to fit her
far-from-teeninsy-iddle self into it after Jessie vacates the box. This is
the cause of most of the boxes falling to pieces! ;

Last night Jessie decided to take up residence in the largest box in the
room. Sammy took offense at this, thinking that the Sammy humongous boxes
should be reserved for Sammy the humongous, so she jumped on top of the box
to lean over and glare into the opening at Jessie. This caused said box to
bow alarmingly under the weight of Samazon, and you could see Jessie
thinking, "OHMYGAWD, I'm going to be crushed to death in a cave-in, erm,
box-in!". Jessie hurriedly squeezed out of the diminished opening and set
about teaching Sammy a lesson. The two rolled across the living room floor
sending boxes, cat toys, and fur flying in all directions.

Now you would think that being roughly 2.5 times bigger than Jessie, that
Sammy would walk away from such a tussle victorious. However, Sammy has
never realized that she has grown bigger than the 1 pound kitten she was
when we first got her and Jessie loomed over her like a giant. Sammy
"gives" almost immediately in any contest that does not involve food.
However, beating the sh*t out of Sammy proved to be thirsty work, so after
the main event ringside Jessie took a side trip into the kitchen to get a
drink of water. Imagine her surprise when, returning to the spoils of her
victory, she saw Sammy crouched inside the box looking out at Jessie a touch
defiantly. Hmmph!

First, Jessie tried jumping on top of the box the same way Sammy had.....
not even the minute-est dent was to be seen in the box. Then Jessie tried
jumping off and then back onto the box several times..... again, not the
slightest curve could be seen in the box under her wee tiny arse. Sammy
watched Jessie's attempts to cave the box in on top of her and snickered and
smirked. Well, this was just too much insult for Jessie to bear, so she
jumped down, reached inside, and started smacking Sammy about the face and
jowls until Sammy beat a hasty retreat to Mommy's lap! Then Jessie gave
Sammy the ultimate cat insult - she walked away from the box without even
going inside the now empty playhouse!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 22nd 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

That would have made a great video. :-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old February 22nd 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
theresa

On Feb 22, 1:13 pm, "Adrian A" wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
OK, anyone who *isn't* owned by a cat would look around my great-room

Great play by play!

Theresa

Old February 22nd 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:30:33 -0600, CatNipped wrote:

[...]

It is good to read a great story again. Best wishes to all. MLB

Old February 22nd 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Randy

"CatNipped" wrote:
slightest curve could be seen in the box under her wee tiny arse. Sammy
watched Jessie's attempts to cave the box in on top of her and snickered and
smirked. Well, this was just too much insult for Jessie to bear, so she
jumped down, reached inside, and started smacking Sammy about the face and
jowls until Sammy beat a hasty retreat to Mommy's lap! Then Jessie gave
Sammy the ultimate cat insult - she walked away from the box without even
going inside the now empty playhouse!

That's hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.

Good to see you posting, you have been missed.

Randy

http://picasaweb.google.com/crmartin1

http://kittenwar.com/kittens/74045/

Old February 22nd 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

CatNipped wrote:
OK, anyone who *isn't* owned by a cat would look around my great-room
and think me quite eccentric. There are at least 9 empty boxes lying
around on the floor

(snippage)
CatNipped

I don't have multiple cats but I have multiple boxes (and now John's blue
plaid flannel shirt) on the floor of the living room. And a couple of
cardboard toilet paper rolls. I don't dare pick them up off the floor.
Persia is quite vocal about this: those are *her* things, dammit, and I can
only get rid of them when she darned well gives me permission to do so. As
a result, my apartment, most of the time, looks quite like a tornado just
hit it but left the roof on.

Cats are wonderful creatures. They are alternately loving and sweet, then
sometimes cranky but then they snuggle next to you and purr and boop you on
the head and you just have to forgive them!

They are also fond of making messes. Like little kids who don't want to put
their toys in the toybox. NO! I have to have my toys right where I can see
them! And I can turn *anything* into a toy! I was telling my friend Nancy,
Persia will just as soon chew up a cardboard box as sit in one. She'll sit
in in first but ya know, she can't resist chewing up cardboard.

Why we don't always understand them is a mystery (to our cats). But we
kow-tow to their whims because they can be so very sweet and loving even
when they do things like steal your clothes.

Jill ---loves Persia!

Old February 23rd 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Tyche and Kumani can thrash the average box in less than a week. *L*
we have the "someone on top swatting the one inside" thing on our cat
tree all the time! It's true, you can't buy that kind of
entertainment!

Next up...sister rasslin' on pay-purr-view!

--Fil

Old February 23rd 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:31:51 GMT, "Jo Firey"
yodeled:

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

(snip)

Great scenario. I lerve box imperialism. Stinky is sweet as all
getout, but you know all boxes are belong to him. The thing that
always gets me is that Stinky can be as comfy as can be, cuddled in my
lap or enthroned on the daybed, but if Dante gets in a box, Stinky
MUST go over and roust him out. A bout of hide-and-bop always ensues.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old February 23rd 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mommy of 2 via CatKB.com

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the laugh. Cats do the funniest things. My kitty loves boxes too.
..