Lethal dose of morphine for a cat

Old October 1st 04, 10:06 PM

"Mary" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
"Mary" wrote:

My point is that I don't see how it
would be more humane than the shots my cat got that made her sleepy and

just
gently fade away

I'm curious about how gentle standard routine really is. I have often

wondered if it like being in a dream state and feeling suffocated as the
heart stops beating. Obviously it doesn't last long.

While my cat did not like getting the shots, afterward she really did seem
to just fall asleep.

I wonder if there is a dulled sense of panic between the heart
stopping and the final cessation of brain activity. It must be similar
to a heart attack.

Old October 1st 04, 10:23 PM
Mary

wrote in message
"Mary" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
"Mary" wrote:

My point is that I don't see how it
would be more humane than the shots my cat got that made her sleepy

and
just
gently fade away

I'm curious about how gentle standard routine really is. I have often

wondered if it like being in a dream state and feeling suffocated as the
heart stops beating. Obviously it doesn't last long.

While my cat did not like getting the shots, afterward she really did

seem
to just fall asleep.

I wonder if there is a dulled sense of panic between the heart stopping

and the final cessation of brain activity. It must be similar to a heart
attack.

I am curious--and of course if this is too personal I apologize and
retract--have you had a heart attack? I never have, and I wonder what it is
like.

Old October 2nd 04, 03:34 AM
Luramao

Fluffy Skye died at around 7:30/8 pm this evening.

I wrote about it in "her" thread, all the details I mean. She began to
suffer late this afternoon, so I took her to be put to sleep.

The staff at the animal emergency clinic were very kind and caring, both
to me and to her, and she really did appear to just go to sleep, altho
her eyes remained open. The only thing she objected to was when the
vet inserted the needle. The actual injecting of the drugs took place
very quickly, with first an anesthetic going in, so that she would not
feel anything, and then the lethal dose. She was lying on a pillow
with me and a vet tech stroking her and talking to her, and she was
lying there quietly and seemlessly transitioned from life to the
afterlife. I couldnt even tell when "it" happened, it was so gradual.
There was no "heart attack", no 'suffocation", just an easy drifting
away. I am absolutely confident that she didnt feel a thing and there
was no pain, for her. The only thing that DID happen was that her
suffering was ended early; she didnt have to suffer up to the moment of
what would have been her 'natural' death (the vet checked her vital
signs - her body was shutting down and she was dying anyway. We just
ended it quicker, and painlessly for her. Im glad I know that she was
dying; I wont have to second-guess myself about having her put to sleep,
knowing that).

She's in a better place now, and she went there non-traumatically.

I just wish she hadnt had to go so soon....

Old October 2nd 04, 04:26 AM

"Mary" wrote:

While my cat did not like getting the shots, afterward she really did

seem
to just fall asleep.

I wonder if there is a dulled sense of panic between the heart stopping

and the final cessation of brain activity. It must be similar to a heart
attack.

I am curious--and of course if this is too personal I apologize and
retract--have you had a heart attack? I never have, and I wonder what it is
like.

Not yet LOL, but am in the target years.

-mhd

Old October 2nd 04, 05:31 AM
Mary

wrote in message
"Mary" wrote:

While my cat did not like getting the shots, afterward she really did

seem
to just fall asleep.

I wonder if there is a dulled sense of panic between the heart stopping

and the final cessation of brain activity. It must be similar to a heart
attack.

I am curious--and of course if this is too personal I apologize and

retract--have you had a heart attack? I never have, and I wonder what it is
like.

Not yet LOL, but am in the target years.

-mhd

Well, I'm glad you haven't. Did someone tell you it what it was like?

P.S. My motto: they can have my cheese when they pry it from my cold dead
hands--so--I imagine I might be looking at some trouble one day.

My athletic friends have all gotten sports injuries and by the time they get
osteo arthritis from using their joints too much I figure I will be going in
for bypass.