(OT) Disaster Relief... Attention Canadians

Old January 2nd 05, 05:20 PM
Annie Wxill

"badwilson" wrote in message
I thought I saw on CNN Asia that China is donating 60 million. This
was a few days ago.
--
Britta

Thank you for your input and for a regional point of view. It must be hard
knowing you have just returned from a trip. I hope you get some good news
about your dive team.
Annie

Old January 2nd 05, 05:51 PM
Adrian

Annie Wxill wrote:
"Zythophile" wrote in message

It's difficult for a xenophobic Brit like myself to say this, but
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4138763.stm - Thank
you USA, you have risen to the challenge. I salute you.
51° 37' 23" N, 3° 56' 27" W

Thank you for the kind words. I have read of several other countries
stepping up to the plate, but I have not yet seen anything about
contributions from the oil-rich awash in cash countries such as Saudi
Arabia and Kuwait or from China, with its booming economy. I don't
know if that is because of a bias of our U.S. news sources or because
they have not chosen to join in. I'm watching for a response from
the U.N. as well. Has anyone seen any reports regarding these
countries and that organization? My heart goes out to the victims and
the survivors of this terrible event. I'm gratified to see the U.S.
take a large part in the recovery. Annie

I heard Japan gave $500million, I don't know what this works out to per
head of population but it sounds pretty good to me.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old January 2nd 05, 06:00 PM
Adrian

Christina Websell wrote:
Call me chicken if you want.

Tweed

No, we just call you the chicken lady. ;-)

Old January 2nd 05, 06:03 PM
Adrian

badwilson wrote:

Why? Because you think it would happen again? I highly doubt that.
It would not happen again in the same place. And what's the point in
waiting for 2 years, it could happen after that too. It could happen
anywhere, any time. The only way to be safe is to never go anywhere.
But then you could have a major earthquake right by your house too!
I know how much Thailand relies on tourism. I have lived here for 4
years. But I still think it's awful for people to lounge on the
beaches that are close by to where the damage is. I think they should
go to resorts on the other coast and let the rebuilding begin. I know
Thais and I'm sure that they will have it all fixed up by next year
and I know tourists will come back. It's too great of a country to
stay away :-)

I think the really awfull thing is the reports of some tourist
complaining about the service since the tsunami.

Old January 2nd 05, 06:05 PM
Marina

Cheryl Perkins wrote:

Marina wrote:

Finns have also donated more privately than our government. The news
told about one person donating 350,000 euros (about 474,000 USD).

In her traditional new year's speech on TV, our president didn't speak
of anything else but the catastrophe. Usually, the president's new
year's speech lists things that happened in the past year and what is
going to happen in the new year. We had a day of mourning here in
Finland yesterday, with flags at half-mast all day.

Maybe it was pre-recorded. The announcer said our equivalents (the
Governor-General and Prime Minister's New Year messages) were
pre-recorded, but it still seemed kind of odd not to have a message of
sympathy included, although I knew the reason. Of course, separate
official messages had been made.

Umm, what I said was, she only spoke of the catastrophe, and nothing
else. She also extended her condolences to everyone who lost someone
close to them.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old January 3rd 05, 02:22 AM
badwilson

"Adrian" wrote in message
badwilson wrote:

[...]

Seriously??? That's horrible! It's bad enough that they are lying on
the beach right near where they are still cleaning up bodies, but to
complain about the service is downright evil.
I don't want the tourism industry ruined in Thailand and I think
tourists should continue to come, but there are plenty of unaffected
areas that are not close to the disaster zone where people can go. If
they want to go right to the disaster zone, they should be helping
out, not lounging.
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

Old January 3rd 05, 02:26 AM
badwilson

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

"badwilson" wrote in message
I thought I saw on CNN Asia that China is donating 60 million.

This
was a few days ago.
--
Britta

Thank you for your input and for a regional point of view. It must

be hard
knowing you have just returned from a trip. I hope you get some

good news
about your dive team.
Annie

Well, we are feeling very lucky to have not been in the area when it
happened. It's weird, Dennis and I have been so very lucky in so very
many ways. Not in the lottery winning way of being lucky, but in the
way that things go smoothly for us and our plans work out. knocking
on wood
It is something to be grateful for.
And we did hear about the dive team. They are all fine, the boat is
ok and so is the shop in Khao Lak. Woo hoo! They plan to be open for
business in 2 weeks. Although I doubt they will have many customers.

Old January 3rd 05, 11:36 PM
Yoj

"badwilson" wrote in message

"Adrian" wrote in message
badwilson wrote:

[...]

I agree completely!

Joy

Old January 3rd 05, 11:40 PM
Yoj

"badwilson" wrote in message

Well, we are feeling very lucky to have not been in the area when it
happened. It's weird, Dennis and I have been so very lucky in so very
many ways. Not in the lottery winning way of being lucky, but in the
way that things go smoothly for us and our plans work out. knocking
on wood
It is something to be grateful for.

I understand your feelings about this, Britta. I have often felt the same
way. Some people ask "Why me?" when things don't go their way. I don't
know how many times I've wondered "Why me?" because mostly good things
happen to me and bad things don't. True, my husband and my father both died
the same year, but even there, it could have been much worse. Neither of
them suffered very much, and neither of them had Alzheimer's. There have
been changes in my life - good changes - in the 18 + years since then that
probably wouldn't have happened otherwise.

I feel blessed.

Joy