(OT) #7!!!!!!! Texans & USAn rejoice!!!!!!

Old July 26th 05, 04:51 PM
Hopitus

I feel ashamed of myself for causing your courteous, detailed explanations.
You are you and I am me and despite Queen's opinion (it ain't "fat-bottomed
girls") that's what makes world go 'round - diverse opinions of us hoomins
on planet. 'Nuff said. I shouldn't have posted that......retired now, w/30
years worth of memories of work in Class 1 trauma center ER's triggering my
sometimes spastic typing fingers here.
As for Lance & his stuffed lion: I have a fairly large tv simply because I'm
a rabid Broncos fan: I blame my failure to recognize what he was waving on 2
factors: one, my eyesight (too hot for glasses-wearing @ the tube lately,
right?)
and two: the particular telecast I watched,
which consisted of tight closeups of Lance saying what he said and then
really *fast* camera reverse-zoom (where I noticed the thing in his right
hand) to overall view of winner's stand.
I would be a total basket case trying to watch football on any screen
smaller than my 36", LOL.
To each his/her own, I try to keep in mind.

On 2005-07-25, Hopitus penned:
Thank you for explaining what the tv dudes left out that left me
scratching
my head! ROFL - I never woulda figured out that was a stuffed lion being
waved by our hero....I thought maybe he'd run over a bear somewhere on
the
route and that was his trophy.

I think you need a bigger TV =P Even our 27" shows the lion pretty
well.

You're in good shape, Monique. Couldn't you just leave that murderous hog
in
your garage (sorry, former ER worker) and train to ride bike in USA
women's
group of contestants? I'd root for ya....

Okay, lots of thoughts, in no particular order:

It's not a hog, it's a beemer (BMW)! A hawg is a harley.

I ride my mountain bike on trails far more often than I ride my
beemer. The beemer is a pleasure vehicle, like a fancy convertible or
something. I wish I could say I rode it more, but it really only gets
exercise every week or two on average. In contrast, I typically ride
my mountain bike several times a week. (Course, with the wrist right
now, I'm not riding either).

Cycling just isn't as safe as you probably think it is. At least on a
motorcycle, I'm wearing full protective gear. On a bike, I'm wearing
a helmet (that only covers the top of my head, as opposed to my
fullface motorcycle helmet) and gloves ... that's about it. The
spandex on the rest of my body isn't doing diddly in a crash. I've
gone past 30 MPH going downhill at a 2% grade on a mountain bike and
somewhat rugged terrain ... racing on a road bike is much faster than
that! Bob Roll has a quote somewhere to the effect that after years
of racing, he finally figured out what the awful smell is at a crash
-- it's the smell of burning flesh.

On a motorcycle, you can at least accelerate and get away from nasty
sitautions. On a road bike, you simply can't accelerate like a car can.
And you don't just have to worry about idiots not paying attention;
there are idiots who think that bikes don't belong on the road and
actually try to ram them! There are cycling fatalities *in Boulder*
every year. And while a motorcycle stands a decent chance of staying
upright if you run it off the road and into grass, a road bike, with
tires less than an inch wide, is an instant disaster. Last year, a
friend of a friend was taken to the hospital after a car ran him off the
road on purpose.

I know that all sorts of bad things can happen even if you take proper
precautions, but knowing that, when I want to do something risky, I do
my research and mitigate what I can. Not acknowledging the risks is
far more dangerous, in my opinion. I took the MSF course before I
ever took a motorcycle on the road -- something that they claim
reduces your chance of getting in an accident the first (most
dangerous) year by something like 95%. I wear full gear every time I
ride. I never ride tired or sick, and I won't ride with even a single
drink in my system (same for driving a car, actually).

At some point, I will finally psych myself up enough to ride one of my
bicycles to work -- I already have a cute little bike just for the
purpose, a rigid mountain bike with narrow, slick tires -- but it
honestly scares me. Much worse than riding trails; much worse than
riding a motorcycle. Bicycle/vehicle interactions are just scary.
Riding near cars is just scary.

Finally, if I were to compete, it would almost certainly be in
mountain biking. I did compete in a race last year, actually. Very
interesting experience.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 26th 05, 06:23 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-07-26, Hopitus penned:
I feel ashamed of myself for causing your courteous, detailed explanations.
You are you and I am me and despite Queen's opinion (it ain't "fat-bottomed
girls") that's what makes world go 'round - diverse opinions of us hoomins
on planet. 'Nuff said. I shouldn't have posted that......retired now, w/30
years worth of memories of work in Class 1 trauma center ER's triggering my
sometimes spastic typing fingers here.

I just felt the need to defend myself a bit =) Well, not defend,
maybe explain. I know that riding a motorcycle is dangerous. I could
die or be crippled. But I also think that there are a lot of
activities that could kill or cripple a person ... nuff said.

As for Lance & his stuffed lion: I have a fairly large tv simply because I'm
a rabid Broncos fan: I blame my failure to recognize what he was waving on 2
factors: one, my eyesight (too hot for glasses-wearing @ the tube lately,
right?)
and two: the particular telecast I watched,
which consisted of tight closeups of Lance saying what he said and then
really *fast* camera reverse-zoom (where I noticed the thing in his right
hand) to overall view of winner's stand.

Yeah, I think this is the third Tour I've watched. I don't remember
if the lion was obvious to me at first.

I would be a total basket case trying to watch football on any screen
smaller than my 36", LOL.

*sigh* now wouldn't that be nice to have ...

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 26th 05, 06:25 PM
Hopitus

Just remembered something LOL - near the end of "Fatbottomed Girls" doesn't
Freddie M. yell out, "Get on yer bikes and riiiiiiiiide, boys!"?
Thanks to Great Britain for giving us Freddie Mercury & Queen.....like many
greats of the Fine Arts world, not fully appreciated till after Freddie left
us for the RB long ago.

Old July 26th 05, 06:33 PM
Jo Firey

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
I would be a total basket case trying to watch football on any screen
smaller than my 36", LOL.

*sigh* now wouldn't that be nice to have ...

We bought a perfectly lovely 36" Sony TV two years ago. You got it. DH
spends half his time in the electronics stores sighing over the bigger HD
models that are far out of our price range. Besides which we don't really
have anywhere else to put the current monster. To big to put in a bedroom.

Jo

Old July 26th 05, 06:54 PM
Adrian

Jo Firey wrote:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
I would be a total basket case trying to watch football on any
screen smaller than my 36", LOL.

*sigh* now wouldn't that be nice to have ...

We bought a perfectly lovely 36" Sony TV two years ago. You got it.
DH spends half his time in the electronics stores sighing over the
bigger HD models that are far out of our price range. Besides which
we don't really have anywhere else to put the current monster. To
big to put in a bedroom.

Jo

I also have a 36" Sony, much too small ;-) I'd like a nice 72" HD DLP.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old July 26th 05, 07:05 PM
Hopitus

You are into a different sport(s), kid. A
good view of Bronco butts @ the "line",
Jake the Snake adorned w/whatever facial
hair decoration he fancies, Shannie making awful faces and cursing silently,
and the rest of our OrangeandBlue losing
chance after chance is absolutely vital to life here! Even the Deadly Duo no
longer look up @ the screaming & pounding going on via the sofa.....but we
never, ever lose hope, LOL.

Old July 26th 05, 08:42 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-07-26, Hopitus penned:
Just remembered something LOL - near the end of "Fatbottomed Girls"
doesn't Freddie M. yell out, "Get on yer bikes and riiiiiiiiide,
boys!"? Thanks to Great Britain for giving us Freddie Mercury &
Queen.....like many greats of the Fine Arts world, not fully
appreciated till after Freddie left us for the RB long ago.

I think that's a reference to the song "I want to ride my bicycle"

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 26th 05, 09:21 PM
CatNipped

"Adrian" wrote in message
news
Jo Firey wrote:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
I would be a total basket case trying to watch football on any
screen smaller than my 36", LOL.

*sigh* now wouldn't that be nice to have ...

We bought a perfectly lovely 36" Sony TV two years ago. You got it.
DH spends half his time in the electronics stores sighing over the
bigger HD models that are far out of our price range. Besides which
we don't really have anywhere else to put the current monster. To
big to put in a bedroom.

Jo

I also have a 36" Sony, much too small ;-) I'd like a nice 72" HD DLP.

They *MAKE* 72 inchers now!???! Oh gawd, DH is probably going to start
complaining about how small our 65 incher is now! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 26th 05, 09:30 PM
Jo Firey

"Adrian" wrote in message
news
Jo Firey wrote:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
I would be a total basket case trying to watch football on any
screen smaller than my 36", LOL.

*sigh* now wouldn't that be nice to have ...

We bought a perfectly lovely 36" Sony TV two years ago. You got it.
DH spends half his time in the electronics stores sighing over the
bigger HD models that are far out of our price range. Besides which
we don't really have anywhere else to put the current monster. To
big to put in a bedroom.

Jo

I also have a 36" Sony, much too small ;-) I'd like a nice 72" HD DLP.
--
\

So would Charlie.

Jo

Old July 26th 05, 10:12 PM
Adrian

CatNipped wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
news
Jo Firey wrote:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
I would be a total basket case trying to watch football on any
screen smaller than my 36", LOL.

*sigh* now wouldn't that be nice to have ...

We bought a perfectly lovely 36" Sony TV two years ago. You got it.
DH spends half his time in the electronics stores sighing over the
bigger HD models that are far out of our price range. Besides which
we don't really have anywhere else to put the current monster. To
big to put in a bedroom.

Jo

I also have a 36" Sony, much too small ;-) I'd like a nice 72" HD
DLP.

They *MAKE* 72 inchers now!???! Oh gawd, DH is probably going to
start complaining about how small our 65 incher is now! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

So don't tell him. ;-)