Update on island cats Very long + pics

Old June 27th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Update on island cats Very long + pics

"Jo Firey" wrote:
I don't know. Looking at the tree climbing, I'd be saving those pictures of
Caliban tentatively looking at the out. It may be the last time he is
unsure of himself in his entire life.

At least he is always easy to spot with those white feet. Otherwise his
camouflage is entirely too good.

I also noticed that the Caliban Camo is surprisingly good out in the
wild. It really breaks up his silhouette. He looks like a little
tiger! And Miranda does look like a worried starving puma. At least
those are more dignified characterizations than "rabbit" and "rat".

Old June 27th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Marina wrote:
Karen wrote:
Wow. I am sooooo envious. Think of me in my office while you are out there
once in a while. Caliban is going to have an innnneteresting summer

I will think of you, Karen. I wish you could come for a nice loooong
visit. There's nothing so relaxing. Time just slows down out there,
without electricity or running water or television or anything. You can
just sit around and watch the cats play.

I would love to sit around and just watch our kitties play. I think
we all would!

Old June 27th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:

I don't know. Looking at the tree climbing, I'd be saving those pictures of
Caliban tentatively looking at the out. It may be the last time he is
unsure of himself in his entire life.

I think that may very well be possible. He's been such a happy-go-lucky
cat from the start.

Old June 27th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Marina" wrote in message
Yours truly is back in town and missing the cat terribly, but at least I
can talk about them to you guys. Over 800 messages to read, so purrs and
good vibes all around first. If you just want to go straight to the pics
without reading my long-winded commentary, they're at
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fra...r=7752&.src=ph

Thanks for the update and the gorgeous pics. Caliban does seem like a
mama's boy and that's just so sweet. I would have loved to have seen him
running up and down the path! And your puma-cat Mir looks like she's right
at home! Have a wonderful summer vacation and we'll miss you!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old June 28th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Marina wrote:
Yours truly is back in town and missing the cat terribly, but at least I
can talk about them to you guys. Over 800 messages to read, so purrs and
good vibes all around first. If you just want to go straight to the pics
without reading my long-winded commentary, they're at
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fra...r=7752&.src=ph

Wonderful photo essay, Marina. Looks like the kids will have a good
time while you're away.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old June 28th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Marina wrote:
Yours truly is back in town and missing the cat terribly, but at least I
can talk about them to you guys. Over 800 messages to read, so purrs and
good vibes all around first. If you just want to go straight to the pics
without reading my long-winded commentary, they're at
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fra...r=7752&.src=ph

They're darling and the island looks beautiful. What an idyllic life!
I'm envious. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful summer.

Candace

Old June 30th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Marina wrote:
Yours truly is back in town and missing the cat terribly, but at least I
can talk about them to you guys. Over 800 messages to read, so purrs and
good vibes all around first. If you just want to go straight to the pics
without reading my long-winded commentary, they're at
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fra...r=7752&.src=ph

snip

Thanks for the update and the pics, they are great! No wonder you all
enjoy your holidays so much! But we will miss you, Marina, Miranda and
Caliban.
Have a great time,
Polonca and Soncek

Old July 7th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel

I loved this tale with piccies, Marina! I'm just so very late in catching
up on my newsgroup stuff. I think the tree-climbing Caliban would give me
heart palpitations!
Christine
"Marina" wrote in message
Yours truly is back in town and missing the cat terribly, but at least I
can talk about them to you guys. Over 800 messages to read, so purrs and
good vibes all around first. If you just want to go straight to the pics
without reading my long-winded commentary, they're at
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fra...r=7752&.src=ph

The trip was... very trying. ;o) First, getting Caliban into a carrier
is a whole nuther wrestling match. Luckily, he doesn't scratch or bite,
he just wrestles very very hard. He is so incredibly strong! Miranda on
the other hand went in without a peep and hunkered down for the ride.

On the bus, Caliban kept up a running commentary on the poor service I
was providing. I guess he is used to travelling first class. He
complained All. The. Way. Over four hours. Miranda was an angel as
usual. She never said a peep. The only sign of life from her was that,
once, a little paw came snaking out between the bars in the door of the
carrier.

On the boat, Caliban was shocked into silence. Poor baby, it was a
little choppy, so the boat made some interesting moves. Caliban bunched
up in the back of the carrier and stared with big round eyes. When we
got to the island, I carried the cats inside my shed where I sleep and
let them out of the carriers. A while later, I opened the door and
Miranda slunk out. She obviously remembered where we were and was
perfectly comfortable with it. The first thing she did, like Frank and
Nikki used to, was go eat grass:

http://tinyurl.com/q4uj2
http://tinyurl.com/r8d5s

Caliban on the other hand hid under the pillows on my bed. Poor baby, I
don't know if it was the shock of the boat ride or just that everything
was so unfamiliar, but he stayed hidden until I lay down with him on the
bed. Then he soon came out and started exploring the inside of the shed,
carefully avoiding the open door. Miranda ran in and out all the time,
and I think she was calling for him to come outside when she meowed and
meowed each time she went outside. I decided to join her outside and
call Caliban to see if he would like to take a peek. Soon curiosity got
the better of him:

http://tinyurl.com/lpsbs
http://tinyurl.com/mx52k
http://tinyurl.com/m5kke

He was cautious but very interested. It didn't take him long to be at
ease in the Out. Here he is, just marvelling at it all on the cliff
behind the shed:

http://tinyurl.com/sxunx
http://tinyurl.com/quf37

The weather was nice, with a light breeze so it didn't get too hot:

http://tinyurl.com/mv54j

The brave little flowers on the cliff keep coming up in spite of the
hard weather. Our boat in the background.

http://tinyurl.com/ln42v

After Caliban finally ventured out on the cliffs, he and Miranda could
start playing tag and hide-and-seek. As you can see, Miranda has the
perfect camouflage on the cliffs:

http://tinyurl.com/nmpzp

While Caliban's is better in the brush:

http://tinyurl.com/mflk3

There is a long path leading past my shed and up to Mum's house. When
Caliban had finally ventured all the way up to the top of the path,
there was no stopping him. He would go zooming past -
OHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOY OHBOYOHBOYOHBOY!!!!
And a moment later, he would gallop past in the other direction -
YOBHOYOBHOYOBHOYOBHOYOBHOYOBHOYOBHOYOBHOYOBHOYOBHO YOBHOYOBHOYOBHO!!!!
Here he is coming down the path in a more leisurely manner:

http://tinyurl.com/q5rmy

Miranda on the same path:

http://tinyurl.com/ob6mz

Of course the best thing was to chase each other up and down the path. I
would be inside my shed and hear four pairs of paws thundering by and
smile to myself when I thought of how scared Caliban was at first. He'd
overcame his fear very soon. I could wish he'd have kept some little bit
of fear, though. Like a fear of climbing trees. But no, he would go
scaling up a tree, very high up in no time, and then he would stop to
wonder how he would get down. He did get down on his own every time, but
I suspect someone will have to climb after him at least once this summer:

http://tinyurl.com/rp8rq
http://tinyurl.com/n5ttr