(OT) Disaster Relief... Attention Canadians

Old January 1st 05, 08:22 PM
Annie Wxill

"Zythophile" wrote in message

It's difficult for a xenophobic Brit like myself to say this, but
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4138763.stm - Thank you USA,
you have risen to the challenge. I salute you.
51° 37' 23" N, 3° 56' 27" W

Thank you for the kind words. I have read of several other countries
stepping up to the plate, but I have not yet seen anything about
contributions from the oil-rich awash in cash countries such as Saudi Arabia
and Kuwait or from China, with its booming economy. I don't know if that is
because of a bias of our U.S. news sources or because they have not chosen
to join in. I'm watching for a response from the U.N. as well.
Has anyone seen any reports regarding these countries and that organization?
My heart goes out to the victims and the survivors of this terrible event.
I'm gratified to see the U.S. take a large part in the recovery.
Annie

Old January 1st 05, 09:01 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Annie Wxill at
wrote on 1/1/05 2:22 PM:

[...]

I know they've pledged some and I know that Dubai Crown Prince Sheikh
Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum has ordered a delegation from the Mohammed
bin Rashid al Maktoum Charitable and Humanitarian Foundation to Thailand to
assist. Now how much that includes, I don't know. I found that out from the
racing trades. Also racing Magnate Frank Stronach has donated $100,000 to
the Canadian Red Cross and for one week, beginning on Friday, Ashford Stud
in Kentucky, Coolmore Australia, and Coolmore Stud in Ireland will accept
bids for nominations to each of their stallions, including Sadler¹s Wells in
Ireland, Fusaichi Pegasus in Kentucky, and Encosta de Lago in Australian
with all proceeds to go to the tsunami victims which should pull in a good
bit.

Old January 1st 05, 09:30 PM
Mathew Kagis

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

[...]

I heard on the news that Shrub & Kofi Annan have had a meeting. The UN (as
ineficient as they are) Are currently working on co-ordinating their relief
efforts with the various Govt. forces & NGOs allready arriving in the
reigon.

--
Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

Old January 1st 05, 10:02 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Cheryl at
wrote on 1/1/05 3:03 PM:

On Sat 01 Jan 2005 03:22:54p, Annie Wxill wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

Thank you for the kind words. I have read of several other
countries stepping up to the plate, but I have not yet seen
anything about contributions from the oil-rich awash in cash
countries such as Saudi Arabia and Kuwait or from China, with
its booming economy. I don't know if that is because of a bias
of our U.S. news sources or because they have not chosen to join
in. I'm watching for a response from the U.N. as well. Has
anyone seen any reports regarding these countries and that
organization? My heart goes out to the victims and the survivors
of this terrible event. I'm gratified to see the U.S. take a
large part in the recovery.

I heard that the first contribution amounts from us were low
because it wasn't yet apparent the sheer amount of damage and loss
of life. I'm also glad it went up to 350M. I heard today that Japan
has contributed the largest single donation from a country - $500M.
My heart goes out to them, too, and I just can't listen to some of
the news reports anymore. Kripes, now they're reporting that some
tourists are sunbathing on the beaches again rather than pitching
in to help cleanup. Argggg..

But the Thais want and need that. THey are desparately afraid people will
stop coming and that is their main industry so it will cost them even more
if they lose that industry (height of the season) and those resorts are not
damaged. Some of their sites are pleading to please change your reservations
to another resort if you were scheduled for one of the ones that were
damaged or destroyed. I think it would be very hard, but the locals depend
upon the tourist industry.

Old January 1st 05, 10:23 PM
Christina Websell

[...]

I haven't seen anything on the news about aid offered by the countries you
mention, but it probably wouldn't be mentioned in the UK, anyway. We are
kept aware of what other European countries are contributing, and also the
USA.
Even though our Govt has upped the ante, the British public have beaten them
again by today.
I'm proud. I hope it might shame the government to give even more,
particularly in the person-power department, they seem to be short of that
right now.

Tweed -- so lucky to be safe

Old January 1st 05, 10:36 PM
Christina Websell

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
in article , Cheryl at
wrote on 1/1/05 3:03 PM:

[...]

I understand that completely. They *do* rely on the tourist industry. I'm
sorry about this but I wouldn't put my life on the line to support their
tourist industry just now. Not for about two years actually. Even then it
would be unlikely. To be realistic, their tourist trade will be gone for a
long time.
Would you fly out to one of the affected countries tomorrow for a holiday?
I wouldn't.
Call me chicken if you want.

Tweed

Old January 2nd 05, 02:29 AM
badwilson

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

wrote on 1/1/05 3:03 PM:

[...]

Why? Because you think it would happen again? I highly doubt that.
It would not happen again in the same place. And what's the point in
waiting for 2 years, it could happen after that too. It could happen
anywhere, any time. The only way to be safe is to never go anywhere.
But then you could have a major earthquake right by your house too!
I know how much Thailand relies on tourism. I have lived here for 4
years. But I still think it's awful for people to lounge on the
beaches that are close by to where the damage is. I think they should
go to resorts on the other coast and let the rebuilding begin. I know
Thais and I'm sure that they will have it all fixed up by next year
and I know tourists will come back. It's too great of a country to
stay away :-)

Old January 2nd 05, 02:31 AM
badwilson

[...]

I thought I saw on CNN Asia that China is donating 60 million. This
was a few days ago.
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

Old January 2nd 05, 05:24 AM
Marina

Christina Websell wrote:

I haven't seen anything on the news about aid offered by the countries you
mention, but it probably wouldn't be mentioned in the UK, anyway. We are
kept aware of what other European countries are contributing, and also the
USA.
Even though our Govt has upped the ante, the British public have beaten them
again by today.
I'm proud. I hope it might shame the government to give even more,
particularly in the person-power department, they seem to be short of that
right now.

Finns have also donated more privately than our government. The news
told about one person donating 350,000 euros (about 474,000 USD).

In her traditional new year's speech on TV, our president didn't speak
of anything else but the catastrophe. Usually, the president's new
year's speech lists things that happened in the past year and what is
going to happen in the new year. We had a day of mourning here in
Finland yesterday, with flags at half-mast all day.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old January 2nd 05, 05:18 PM
Annie Wxill

"Mathew Kagis" wrote in message
I heard on the news that Shrub & Kofi Annan have had a meeting. The UN (as
ineficient as they are) Are currently working on co-ordinating their
relief
efforts with the various Govt. forces & NGOs allready arriving in the
reigon.
Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat
En Vino Veritas

It's good to read that this really is a world-wide effort to send relief.
I guess it's asking too much for world leaders (including my country, the
U.S.) to realize that having worked together on this tragedy, they actually
could work together for other positive outcomes wherever people are
suffering.
Annie