Candidate Friedman vows declawing ban

Old February 19th 05, 03:54 PM
kitkat

Slimpickins wrote:
**JMHO, But what is reeeally dangerous is when the balance in ones own
personal beliefs becomes too far left, or too far right. Unfortunately, this
skewed thinking is becoming more common, especially with those individuals
who are mentally unbalanced to begin with.

I am a Christian and try to not to judge others and It's not easy. But if a
mother/father want to enroll their child in a private or public school, then
that is their business and their right. I wouldn't protest their decision
and I wouldn't hurled abusive language at them because they don't dance my*
dance. Demanding for them to do so because *I* believe it is the right
thing to do, is wrong. What the world need now is.. more living life by
quiet example.

ML

I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at. No one is saying that
it isn't a parent's right to enroll their child in whatever school they
choose. However, if a parent wants a child to be able to openly pray as
a group in school...that parent must opt for a PRIVATE school as
organized prayer has no place in our public school system. I do agree
that fanatical thinking (i.e. TOO far left or TOO far right) is a problem.

Pam
Old February 19th 05, 04:16 PM
-L.

kitkat wrote:

Ooh! A net acronym that I don't know. What is "ITA"?

I totally agree!

-L.

Old February 19th 05, 04:26 PM
-L.

A nice person wrote:

Prayer should come from the heart, not be imposed.

And it's constitutionally forbidden, so there's really no debate.

Well, it was a rhetorical question, AFAIC. The reason the point
isn't moot is because the Fundie movement wants prayer in public
school, and is actively lobbying to get such laws passed. It's just
one chip on the ice block toward nationalized religion. That's why
there needs to be opposition.

Ignore your rights and they will go away.

-L.

Old February 19th 05, 05:32 PM
kitkat

Mary wrote:
"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

kitkat wrote:

Ooh! A net acronym that I don't know. What is "ITA"?

I totally agree!

-L.

It's supposed to be a hip way of saying "Me too." 8)

ITI!

(it totally is!)

p.s. Jasper ate some turkey meat just now! Yay!

Old February 19th 05, 05:48 PM
gaubster2

PawsForThought wrote:
Keeping telling yourself I'm a liar, if it helps you deal with what a
pathetic LOSER you are, LOL. But the truth is you're once again
telling people your way is the only way. Get a grip. Your belief
system, and religion, is not the only one. This world is made up of
many different kinds of people (unfortunately you're one of them).
Religion does not belong in the government or in public schools.

Lauren, you're making some major ASSumptions here, as usual. Please
tell me (since you seem to know so well) exactly what my beliefs are
and what religion I am. Until you can do so (and accurately), I'll
just go back to assuming that you are trolling this particular thread.

About 2 years ago, you were outed as a liar on the subject of your
cats. I'm not the one that lied, you were and you must take
responsibility for that. The reason that I give you such a hard time
is that you are one of those people who will lie to make a point. You
have to live w/ that, not me. But that seems to be par for the course
for a left-winger such as yourself.

Old February 19th 05, 05:56 PM
gaubster2

Cathy Friedmann wrote:
"gaubster2" wrote in message
oups.com...

Cathy Friedmann wrote:

What kind of harm are you referencing? Property rights?

You think the only way to harm a person is via physical harm? (Hint:

you
used the word "bodily".)

You still haven't answer my question. Typical.

You don't think there's anything wrong w/ promoting prayer in the

public
schools because it would coincide with *your* personal beliefs.

Nevermind
the fact that it wouldn't coincide with many *other* people's

beliefs. If
it's good enough for you, it's good enough for all? (That's a

rhetorical
question, & the answer is nope.)

I never said that you should PROMOTE prayer in schools. I just don't
think it should be BANNED. We're going in circles here and a number of
you think you have me pegged and you don't. I don't neccessarily
disagree with you.

It appears that you aren't considering the fact that the public is

extremely
diverse in its beliefs, & their tax dollars are funding the public

schools.
Not only is not everyone religious, but of those who are religious,

not
everyone is Christian (gasp!).

I'll go you one further. I think we should shut down the Dept. of
Education because the government school system is an abject failure.
Then nobody can complain that we're wasting their tax dollars teaching
kids something that the parents don't believe in.

Nevermind the fact that public schools are secular places, not

religious
ones. If you want prayer in school, & if you prefer that prayer to

be
Christian oriented, then feel free to support private Christian

schools. No
problem there.

You and I don't disagree on that point. However, I don't believe that
schools should neccessarily be secular. Where's the benefit to that?

I have no
problem with a moment of silence in public school so the kids

can
silently
pray, meditate, collect their thoughts, or do nothing. I have

BIG
problem
with an out-loud prayer or the teacher saying "let's pray".

Yep & yep.

Cathy

Yeah, because that is SOOOOOOOO dangerous! Not.

See above. The public schools are secular. Secular, not religious.
Separation of Church & State, you know??

Here's where you and others step in it. THERE IS NO SEPARATION OF
CHURCH AND STATE. I DEFY you or anybody to show me where in the
Constitution it states that. Once again, we have freedom OF religion,
NOT freedom FROM religion. You can practice your life as paganistic or
as secularistic as you want. And others can live their lives the way
they want. You don't have the right to NOT be offended. Why is
everybody afraid of God anyway?

Old February 19th 05, 06:01 PM
gaubster2

Cat Protector wrote:
Gaubster.

I guess I can expect this kind of post from you. You obviously have a

big
chip on your shoulder. Not everyone has to share your views but it

seems you
feel everyone should be the same religion, faith or culture. I have

nothing
against Christianity but I also don't want it shoved down my throat.

I would
truly get over your mightier than thou attitude. Just because I am

not
Christian does not mean I am against people that are.

CP, this is the sentiment that has been expressed in several posts and
this is where you and others are making an erroneous ASSumption:
Please show me where I have said that everybody should think and
believe like me. You won't be able to, because I've never said that
and I don't believe that. You shouldn't be so quick to judge others
whom you nothing about. You seem to think that everybody who doesn't
agree with you is a fundamentalist Christian that is just waiting to
convert you. I am a Christian (Catholic) and I don't spend my time
trying to convery anybody. I also do not agree with the sentiment that
if you don't believe that Jesus Christ is your Savior that you will go
to hell. I don't profess to know what God thinks about each
individual. That up to Him and the individual. I wish you and others
would open your minds about some people and quit ASSuming that they are
all alike.

Old February 19th 05, 06:02 PM
gaubster2

kitkat wrote:
gaubster2 wrote:

As long as public dollars are funding the failing government

schools,
then there will be things allowed that not EVERYBODY will agree

with.
You still haven't listed one, single thing that is bad about prayer

in
school...other than you don't like it. That's not good enough. As

for
people being harmed by religion, I'll bet you can only point to
extreme, religious zealots. The world is full of whackjobs, you

know.
(Some of whom frequent this ng)

I'll give you a reason why prayer doesn't belong in school. It has
nothing TO DO with school. And that being said, if a students wishes

pray in school...he or she can do so quietly without interrupting the

flow of what is going on there in the first place...EDUCATION. I

don't
think "prayer is bad" in school...I just don't think it BELONGS

there.
We are trying to teach our children that there is a time and place

for
everything. Practicing religion is one of those things.

So, do you think sex education belongs in school? I don't. That
falls under the parameters of the home environment. And don't give me
this nonsense about some parents won't talk about this w/ their kids.
I can make the same argument about religion in school. Condoms on
cucumbers and bananas DO NOT belong in school.

You can't just "make up" your own religion. And you can't break
existing laws (animal torture, murder, etc.) to justify your bad
behavior. Next?

There are a lot more Christians than there are people who worship
Satan, and THANK GOD for that...wouldn't you agree?! (a little

mention
to the Almighty, there....just to tick you off and demonstrate the
freedoms that I have in this country) And no, that didn't harm
anybody!

Well at SOME point...all religions were "made up"...weren't they? And

if
you cant break existing laws in the name of your religion...what do

the
crazy killers of abortion doctors use as their excuse?! Just *one*
example...in a sea of examples...

Again, you are pointing to extreme religious zealots. I don't believe
in killing abortion doctors. There are extremeists on each side. I
don't condone either one.

Most people won't get ticked off if you mention God. It is, however,

completely different thing if you make an entire class of children

stop
in the midst of their SCHOOL DAY to recognize a god they may or MAY

NOT
believe in.

Pam

Nobody is saying FORCE religion on kids in school. I agree that you
should send your children to a religious school if that is what is
important. However, what is happening is that the government school
system is bending over backwards to take ALL mention of GOD of religion
(except Islam) OUT of school. There is a healthy balance that can be
struck, but that is NOT what is currently happening. How about the
Cupertino school district that doesn't want the Declaration of
Independence taught because it mentions a Creator??

Old February 19th 05, 06:08 PM
gaubster2

-L. wrote:
gaubster2 wrote:
-L. wrote:

WHY does there "need" to be a separation of church and state,

again?
That is found nowhere in the Constitution and in fact, the 1st
Amendment to that document guarantees all of us the Freedom OF
Religion, not the freedom FROM religion.

Perhaps a history lesson is in store for you. The first amendment
guarantees individuals the right to practice their religion. It

does
not guarantee that you will never be exposed to other individuals
practicing their religion. If you want to be an atheist, I have no
problem with that. There's much about the natural world, that you
cannot explain, but that's a whole other subject!

There is nothing wrong with
prayer in schools, it doesn't cause anybody bodily harm.

As long as public dollars are funding the failing government

schools,
then there will be things allowed that not EVERYBODY will agree

with.
You still haven't listed one, single thing that is bad about prayer

in
school...

It imposes a practice upon everyone that not everyone believes in or
practices. It infringes upon my right to raise my child in a

religious
culture of my choosing.

You don't understand or you are being paranoid. Nobody is imposing
their will on anybody or infringing upon your right to do what you want
w/ your kid. If you want to put your kid in a private school, nobody
is stopping you.

other than you don't like it. That's not good enough. As for
people being harmed by religion, I'll bet you can only point to
extreme, religious zealots.

Like your President who is currently kulling the world of those

"nasty"
Muslims?

Here again you are being PARANOID! WE were attacked here in the US,
not you there in Brazil. We have liberated millions of Muslims from
the tyrannical rule of Saddam and the Taliban. Apparently you have a
problem with people being set free? We are saving Muslims, not killing
them. We are killing the ones who are extreme and trying to kill us
first. The ones who have declared a "jihad" against us are the ones in
danger. Not the peaceful Muslims, of which there are millions around
the world. Get a grip.

snip

You can't just "make up" your own religion.

Oh really? Seems to me someone once made up all religions. Satanism
is just as valid a belief system as Christianity is.

So, you are making a moral equivalency between Satan and Christ? You
are surely mad? Whom would you rather worship?

(a little mention
to the Almighty, there....just to tick you off

Doesn't bother me one bit. Just don't try to tell me when, where,

and
whom to worship.

Quit being so darned parnoid. Nobody is telling you what to do.