What would you do to save a cat? (VERY LONG)

Old May 6th 04, 06:40 AM
Helen Wheels

Mischief wrote:
Here's the long version about the cat I saved.

I'm driving home from school, when I see this Rottweiler walking up
the sidewalk. He soon is joined by another Rottweiler. No collars or
leashes Being the person I am, and the fact I'm a vet technician, I
tend to get concerned when I see stray animals. I turn the car around
just in time to see a third, smaller dog follow them, and they duck
into a residential area. I pull into a side street and double around
into a court. I see the small dog, and I pull up in time to see one
of the Rotts prancing next to the other, who has something in its
mouth and is shaking it. It was a gray cat.

Wow, good for you... I can't see how a cat lover could do
anything else though. I really hope the little grey fellow makes
it and finds someone who can look after the bill.
Helen Wheels

Old May 6th 04, 06:48 AM
Yoj

You are my hero, Misti. Okay, I believe that you didn't think about
being scared when you attacked the dogs. In a crisis situation, you
don't think; you react. But you thought about it when you pulled out
your Visa. And the fact that you went after the dogs like that proves
the kind of person you are. The kind I would like to have for a friend.

--
Joy

Life is what happens to you while you are planning to do something else.

"Mischief" wrote in message
om...
Here's the long version about the cat I saved.

I'm driving home from school, when I see this Rottweiler walking up
the sidewalk. He soon is joined by another Rottweiler. No collars or
leashes Being the person I am, and the fact I'm a vet technician, I
tend to get concerned when I see stray animals. I turn the car around
just in time to see a third, smaller dog follow them, and they duck
into a residential area. I pull into a side street and double around
into a court. I see the small dog, and I pull up in time to see one
of the Rotts prancing next to the other, who has something in its
mouth and is shaking it. It was a gray cat.

I hit the breaks, even the emergency, and jump out. The cat falls out
of the dog's mouth and tries to run. The dogs pursue it. Meanwhile
I'm running up screaming "STOP IT!!! LEAVE HIM ALONE!!! STOP!!"
The dogs had cornered the poor cat outside a wooden gate and try to
bite it again. Without thinking I grab my hat and start hitting the
dogs, all while screaming "NO!! DROP IT!!! STOP!!" I managed to fend
off the dogs, and I look down and the poor cat is on his back trying
to get up. His back legs are at funny angles. One of the Rotts had
run off, while the other was still there, looking at me with a
quizzical look.

I scoop up the cat and head towards the house. No one answered. I
see a neighbor across the street and ask if she knew who the dogs
belonged to. She didn't know, and she told me that the cat belonged
to her neighbor but he wasn't home. The dogs had run off by now. I
gave her my number, wrapped the cat in my jacket and put him in the
front seat.

I took him to the Animal Emergency Clinic. I called ahead of time,
but it was rush hour traffic. All the while, I have a hand on the
cat, and i"m saying "It's okay, kitty. Stay with me, kitty. I'm
going to get you some help."

I got there and they took him in immediately. I'm telling the story
to the receptionist and everyone is like, "You were so brave! It's a
wonder the Rottweilers didn't turn on you." Until that moment, I
hadn't even thought of how dangerous the whole thing was. All I could
think about was getting the cat out of there and to a vet. Oh and
BTW, there was a guy in the lobby with a Rottweiler on a leash.

They put me in a room with the doctor and I gave him the story. I
told him the cat is definitely going to need IV fluids, X-Rays and
treated for shock. The vet agreed with me, and told me it was an old
cat, probably 12-13 and they would need to also run some blood tests
too. Then he asked the question.

"Are you going to assume financial responsibility for this cat?"

After a pause, I told him that I didn't know. It wasn't even my cat,
and I didn't even know who or where the owner was. The doctor said he
would bring back an estimate. The estimate was almost $1100. I told
the doctor that I didn't have that kind of money and I would go to
back to the house and try to contact the owner. The doctor said that
was fine, but they needed a deposit of a couple hundred dollars so
they could start treatment on the cat.

Now one side of me is screaming, "It's an injured cat! Can't you tell
this cat needs immediate help and you need money upfront before you
can do anything? You don't go into a human ER and are asked if you
can pay before they treat you. You took an oath to help injured
animals!"

But the other side, the side that is a vet student and vet technician
is saying to myself. "Kristi, that's normal protocol.
Unfortunately, this is also a business, and they can't just give
treatment to a pet and then have the owner not pay. You work in a vet
hospital and know how much things cost."

So I grit my teeth and pull out my Visa. I can't just let the cat sit
there in an oxygen box without anything else. So I put $200 deposit
and I'm praying in the back of my head that the owner will pay me
back.

I go back to the house and sit on the porch waiting for the owner to
show up. After an hour and a half, I decide to leave a note with my
phone number. I'm in the middle of writing it, when a car pulls up.
It's the owner. I explain the matter to him, and we go inside so he
can call the clinic. But when I showed him the estimate, he sighed
and said, "I have no money. I got laid off, so I'm only working part
time and I'm selling the house. Besides, the cat was a stray that
adopted us when we first bought the house. My 76 year old roommate
really cares for her; and she just started a part time job cause she's
not getting enough from Social Security."

So he calls the clinic and talks to them. He then comes out and tells
me that the cat is calmer but her back legs aren't working right. He
tells me he gets paid on Friday and whether he's going to get the
money himself or from his roommate he is definitely going to pay me
back.

*sigh*

So, I've done all that I can. The adrenaline has worn off and
everything is sinking in now. I fended off two Rottweilers that could
have turned on me. I picked up an injured cat that could have ripped
me to shreds. I put down $200 to start treatment and only hope that
this guy keeps his word.

All to save a cat that's not even mine.

I've gotten word that the cat has a dislocated hip and at least a
broken rib or two, but currently she is stable and doing well.

Kristi

Old May 6th 04, 06:48 AM
Yoj

You're my hero too, Misti.

--
Joy

Life is what happens to you while you are planning to do something else.

":-) Liz" wrote in message
. com...
Sheeez, are you sure you aren't related to me...say my twin?...I've

done
quite similar.... once I bonked the dog(Sharpei) with my purse and the

other
time(BIG German Shepard/Heitz) with the mop I'd just bought......Got

snarled
at by the Sharpei....got stuck with the $500 doc bill but I found and

still
have a good friend....the other time, alas,,,,, the kitty didn't make
it:-( Liz

om...very snipped

Old May 6th 04, 09:27 AM

Mischief wrote:

[snip tale]

So, I've done all that I can. The adrenaline has worn off and
everything is sinking in now. I fended off two Rottweilers that could
have turned on me. I picked up an injured cat that could have ripped
me to shreds. I put down $200 to start treatment and only hope that
this guy keeps his word.

All to save a cat that's not even mine.

You're a hero!! That was very courageous, quick-thinking, and generous
of you. I hope the guy keeps his word, and that someone will be able to
help him and his roommate pay the full bill. Poor kitty!

Joyce

Old May 6th 04, 11:16 AM
JP Hobbs

Kristi, make no mistake you *are*very brave,I've beenina similar situation
myself, not with an animal
but a human in a burning car, and you do *not* think of the danger its just
something that has to be done, you
are an angel of mercy too, some people would have been content to drop puss
at the vets and leave the owners address, but not you. huge Purrs to this
poor old cat
fancy having that happen at his\ her age, any age of
course but its like an elderly person that gets attacked.
I've never been overly fond of rotties they can be
very vicious not all I know, but a big percentage.
I can't imagine how frightened that little cat must have been, and thank God
you happened along with your
brave spirit. I hope the cat recovers, and I hope you get your money back.
Purrs and Hugs to you Jean.P.

om...

Old May 6th 04, 12:44 PM
John Biltz

On Thu, 6 May 2004 03:16:57 -0700, JP Hobbs wrote
(in article ):

Kristi, make no mistake you *are*very brave,I've beenina similar situation
myself, not with an animal but a human in a burning car, and you do *not*
think of the danger its just something that has to be done, you are an angel
of mercy too, some people would have been content to drop puss at the vets
and leave the owners address, but not you. huge Purrs to this poor old cat
fancy having that happen at his\ her age, any age of course but its like an
elderly person that gets attacked. I've never been overly fond of rotties
they can be very vicious not all I know, but a big percentage. I can't
imagine how frightened that little cat must have been, and thank God you
happened along with your brave spirit. I hope the cat recovers, and I hope
you get your money back. Purrs and Hugs to you Jean.P.

The trouble with the big dogs is not so much that they are mean dogs they
just have such a potential for doing damage that they are dangerous. When
something does happen it is often a horror story on the news. A small
dog may be and often are meaner but a bite is an annoyance with little
real damage and infection the greatest danger. Beef that same dog up to
five times its size and you have a real danger. Beef a cat up to five
times its size and you have a leopard or mountain lion. I don't think I
would want to live with Maya or Bruiser if they weighed 80 to 100 pounds.
Little tyrants are bad enough, big tyrants would be unbearable. I think
if I was the cat's owner I would make a real effort to find those dogs'
owner and give them the bill. The truth is they are legally and morally
responsible for what happened. Really more responsible than the dogs. I
bet the kids in that neighborhood know where the dogs live if they are
from that neighborhood.