Do cats claw leather furniture?

Old December 4th 09, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Candace

Default Do cats claw leather furniture?

Ugh, our living room furniture looks like crap, I just realized
tonight. We already had a little claw damage but our youngest cat,
Google, now 1.5 years old is a destructo machine and has totally
trashed our couch and a chair. Now the couch is 17 years old so I
guess it's about time anyway. With the holidays coming, I'm totally
embarrassed to have anyone over so we need to bite the bullet and buy
something quick. I lately have become partial to leather (actually to
my dismay because I sort of think it's not totally "right"). I seem to
recall reading somewhere that cats don't really like to claw leather.
I would hate to buy it and find that to be untrue. Any experiences?

We have a horribly uncomfortable futon in our family room that they
never claw so I'm thinking something with a lot of wood and some
cushions might be the best but the nubby, kind of plush stuff our sofa
is made out of is a cat magnet. It would be nice if it was fairly
comfy, too.

Also, has anyone ever bought furniture from Cost Plus World Market? I
like their stuff and have bought some cabinets and small things from
them but am worried about the quality of their couches but do like the
look of them.

What furniture do your cats trash and not trash?

Thanks,
Candace
Old December 4th 09, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Candace" wrote in message
[...]

We've had leather furniture since the oldest grandson was in diapers.
The first sofa and loveseat lasted eighteen years. I can't say the
cats never stuck a claw into it, but the results weren't as bad as
what they can do to fabric. There were some pin holes where they had
stuck it, but they didn't look too awful and didn't spread the way
snags will.

Just remind yourself that leather for furniture is the same stuff
that results in hamburgers and shoes. The animals were not raised or
killed just for their hides and would not in fact have existed at all
if they were not a commodity. Short of going totally vegan I can
live with it.

Jo

Old December 4th 09, 05:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lea

On Dec 3, 8:48*pm, Candace wrote:

What furniture do your cats trash and not trash?

My Whiskey clawed everything she could get her little black paws on!
She wrecked one end of a small love seat but it was upholstered in
rough fabric. Cats seem to like the noise it makes when they claw
material like that. I think cats would probably claw leather, too, but
it may be too strong to actually rip.

Lea
Check out my fiction at
http://www.leatassie.com
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/leatassie
Old December 4th 09, 06:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Lea" wrote in message
On Dec 3, 8:48 pm, Candace wrote:

What furniture do your cats trash and not trash?

My Whiskey clawed everything she could get her little black paws on!
She wrecked one end of a small love seat but it was upholstered in
rough fabric. Cats seem to like the noise it makes when they claw
material like that. I think cats would probably claw leather, too,
but
it may be too strong to actually rip.

Lea

******

I think the level of damage you will get depends on a couple of
things. Sometimes cats claw just for the heck of it, but normally a
cat claws and trees and fence boards and barn walls, oops, I mean
scratching posts and furniture legs and cardboard boxes because it
helps them to shed the layers their claws grown in. They are trying
to scrape the old sheath off to be replaces by the sharper newer on
underneath. They are going to gravitate to those things that make
that process work. Furniture will do it there isn't a tree handy.
And if you can snag the old claw on it and pull it off so much the
better. Leather isn't immune from getting stuck, but it doesn't do
the job well, and they are going to try to find something better.
Preferable fabric with a weave they can catch the claws on.

Jo

Old December 4th 09, 12:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

On Dec 3, 8:48*pm, Candace wrote:
[...]

The Princess Rita likes to claw my leather purse, so yes, I would say
that a cat would claw leather, probably as much as any fabric sofa.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old December 4th 09, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 17:48:27 -0800, Candace wrote:

Ugh, our living room furniture looks like crap, I just realized tonight.
We already had a little claw damage but our youngest cat, Google, now 1.5
years old is a destructo machine and has totally trashed our couch and a
chair. Now the couch is 17 years old so I guess it's about time anyway.
With the holidays coming, I'm totally embarrassed to have anyone over so
we need to bite the bullet and buy something quick. I lately have become
partial to leather (actually to my dismay because I sort of think it's not
totally "right"). I seem to recall reading somewhere that cats don't
really like to claw leather. I would hate to buy it and find that to be
untrue. Any experiences?

I have two leather chairs - office chairs, actually - that some of the
cats like to jump on, but not shred. There are some scratch marks from
scrambling onto the chair back, but never any of that standing on the hind
legs and shredding activity. That represents a sample of all cats, but a
fairly large sample (~14 [Snooch is #15, but he hasn't bee with me long
enough to count - Chloe probably shouldn't count either]) for as period of
about four years.

--
T.E.D. )

Old December 4th 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Candace wrote:
Ugh, our living room furniture looks like crap, I just realized
tonight. We already had a little claw damage but our youngest cat,
Google, now 1.5 years old is a destructo machine and has totally
trashed our couch and a chair. Now the couch is 17 years old so I
guess it's about time anyway. With the holidays coming, I'm totally
embarrassed to have anyone over so we need to bite the bullet and buy
something quick. I lately have become partial to leather (actually to
my dismay because I sort of think it's not totally "right"). I seem to
recall reading somewhere that cats don't really like to claw leather.
I would hate to buy it and find that to be untrue. Any experiences?

Yes. DON'T!!!!! Whether or not they "like" it, mine evidently regarded
it as their duty, so all my leather furniture is well-clawed. Of course
I compounded the problem by buying something called "Sticky Paws" when
it first came on the market (before its label bore a prominent caution
NOT to apply it to leather furniture). It is a double-faced sticky tape
designed to be applied to the more tempting clawable areas of your
furniture. It may or may not deter clawing, but removing it from
leather removes the glaze on the leather, as well. Consequently my
leather furniture not only bears all-over pinholes from claws, but the
corners are totally without any of their original shine. (Of course,
with leather upholstery, there's no cat-hair inextricably woven into the
fabric - take your choice.)
Old December 4th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"Candace" wrote in message
[...]

TBH, I really don't know if cats could/would trash a leather suite as I've
never had one. I have a ten cushion velvet type suite with wood trim (one
sofa, two armchairs) which was quite expensive so I cover them with throws
and my aunt's lovely knitted blankets.
It's probably unnecessary, as KFC never clawed furniture, despite seeming to
have a million claws ;-) and Boyfriend only claws one upright arm of the
chair I am sitting on if I refuse to give in to his demands. Like "I think
you didn't hear me when I said I was hungry agaii, maybe you will notice
this!"
It doesn't matter as he just catches his claws in the throw with no
furniture damage and sometimes has to be disentangled which he finds
embarrassing as it hasn't the effect he desired! He will then stalk off,
insisting he meant to do that and claw the kitchen rugs (which does not
matter at all as they have a low pile and he can't get his claws into them
at all)
He makes me laugh.
"Look at me clawing your furniture as you refused several requests for more
dinner."
Didn't work.
"OK, look at me clawing your rugs then.."
Didn't work either.

It goes like this.
Me: in a cross voice You've had quite enough to eat today and if you claw
anything else I will put you outside all night
Him: Oh, OK, I'm not "that" hungry then..

Tweed

Old December 16th 09, 05:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmmee

my brother has one cat who never touches his leather, another tore it to
shreds... i have a futon and a computer chair out of microfiber... have had
the futon for about three years, the chair for less than a year... they have
tried to scratchi it but so far no damage that we can find anyway, when i
get the dining room chairs redone it will be microfiber all the way, Lee

who thinks a bit uncomfortable on the sofa/chairs gets those pesky relatives
to leave sooner

--
Have a great day