I think my cat dislikes my baby

Old March 13th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default I think my cat dislikes my baby

Hi there...I have had my orange male cat for 5 years..he is fixed.
Best cat ever...he is like a little dog. He usually scratches to go
outside to the washroom, and then comes back in...although he does
have a litter box. I have an older daughter who is 7, and recently had
a new baby she is 4 months old. The cat just started to pee on all her
things...diaper bag, car seat, facecloths, bibs, and most recently all
over the inside of her crib. Before she came along he seemed to think
that her nursery was his, sleeping in her crib and on her change table
we broke him of this habit. Im just afraid that he will get worse, and
try and cuddle on her chest or something strange like that like i have
been reading...although she is never left alone. Anyhow if anyone has
had this problem or any suggestions on how to break the habbit it
would help. Thanks. Carrie
Old March 14th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

First, I would take your cat to the vet to rule out any possible
medical issues. Second, how many litterboxes do you have and where are
they located? I'd suggest adding a second box. Keep both boxes very
clean and scoop 1-2 times daily.

I'm sure there's been a huge change in your household since the baby
was born, and I'm sure your cat senses that. Cats crave routines and
obviously your routines have changed drastically.His life as she knew
it is gone! Get a couple of Feliway diffusers (from your vet or pet
store) and plug them in. You can also use a few drops of Rescue Remedy
in her water to help him. If you are truly concerned about him going
in the baby's room, you can either keep the door closed or replace the
door with a screen door. Most of the time, cats will avoid babies
because of the noise they make.

Don't forget to give your cat some attention and playtime each day.
Give him some time to adjust.
Old March 14th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
alisont via CatKB.com

He's jealous. Just as you are probably spending some extra time with your
older child so she doesn't feel left out, try and give him some quality time
too.

--
http://www.serenityscenes.com/

Baby is on its way.... Kate Cat anecdotes 8 November 6th 06 06:00 PM
Baby Ian Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 3 May 13th 06 12:15 AM
OK, so I'm a Big Baby CatNipped Cat anecdotes 2 December 12th 04 02:31 AM
Welcome new baby!!! Gracecat Cat anecdotes 58 May 7th 04 10:44 PM
Baby, baby don't get hooked on me Ginger-lyn Summer Cat anecdotes 20 April 9th 04 07:06 PM