Solid food for kitten

Old January 29th 04, 08:12 PM
Jari Vuoksenranta

Default Solid food for kitten

Common practice is to give solid food to a kitten at 4 weeks
age, but is there any known problems if solid feeding starts
earlier? I have heard rumours that early solid feeding might
cause allergy, but is there any studies about it?

--
"Eons came and went. At last, the first sound broke the silence.
Rhythmic and insistent, charged and vital. Every corner was filled
Old January 29th 04, 08:38 PM
Gail

I've never heard this and I wouldn't be concerned about giving canned food
to a kitten earlier than the 4 weeks.
Gail

Old January 29th 04, 09:05 PM
SongSylvan

Common practice is to give solid food to a kitten at 4 weeks
age, but is there any known problems if solid feeding starts
earlier? I have heard rumours that early solid feeding might
cause allergy, but is there any studies about it?

Paintball was apparently weaned a little bit earlier than usual (her mama's
decision, not the owners), but doesn't seem to have any problems. She does
like to knead my hand and suck at my fingers from time to time for comfort, but
that's about it.

Magdalene
IWG #1024/Drill Sgt. of Local 35/Soiled Doves of Colorado & IFoRP #57
KC MasterPiece of the KCRF BBQ Wenches
One of Moonie's Naughty Kittens
Red Gemini Ghetto Smurf
"Don't mess with me, I dance with swords."
To email me, remove my bodice

Old February 2nd 04, 09:44 PM
Sharon Talbert

I'm no vet, but I often foster and would not start a kitten on solids any
earlier than 4 weeks, and then gently. (We use a/d perscription food for
starters; there is also a canned pediatric formula.)

If I remember correctly, you can begin the transition at 3 weeks, by
beginning to add rice cereal to the milk replacer. (Just Born offers such
a product, but you can also use Gerber's rice flakes.)

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Old February 3rd 04, 05:11 AM
-L.

Jari Vuoksenranta wrote in message .. .
Common practice is to give solid food to a kitten at 4 weeks
age, but is there any known problems if solid feeding starts
earlier? I have heard rumours that early solid feeding might
cause allergy, but is there any studies about it?

I wouldn't wean that early unless there is a reason to do it, and then
only if they show interest. IME the best way to approach it is to
pick one *canned* food and stick with it - I use Iams kitten food
(canned) because most kittens will eat it, it is readily available
and it is easily digested.

I wait to wean until 6 weeks or more, if I can keep them on the
bottle.

-L.