Adopting a feral cat

Old September 22nd 04, 03:33 PM
Scoop

Default Adopting a feral cat

Hi -- just moved to Cairo, am looking to take on a cat or two. There
are lots of litters of stray cats about, so i'll probably take one of
them in. But i understand socialization is important. Any advice on
the right age to take them and if there are any ways to figure out the
age of a kitten in a litter (i'm guessing this is very difficult). If
they're already incredibly wary of people and fast enough that they're
hard to catch is it too late?
Thanks
Dan
Old September 22nd 04, 04:35 PM
Gail

http://muttcats.com/articles/taming_ferals.htm This is one of many articles
on taming feral kittens. The older a kitten or cat is, the harder it is to
tame them. Please note that even adult feral cats can be tamed and make
wonderful, loyal pets. For more articles, go to google and type in taming
feral kittens.
Gail
om...

Old September 23rd 04, 05:25 PM
Mary

"Iain Halder" wrote in message
Hi,

I've just spent a good afternoon on this muttcats.com website!

Absolutely excellent reading!

Thankyou for the reference to it.

Iain

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:35:39 GMT, "Gail" wrote:

http://muttcats.com/articles/taming_ferals.htm This is one of many

articles
on taming feral kittens. The older a kitten or cat is, the harder it is

tame them. Please note that even adult feral cats can be tamed and make
wonderful, loyal pets. For more articles, go to google and type in taming
feral kittens.
Gail

I wanted to add that one of my cats was a pregnant feral when
picked up by the shelter. After four months of loving care there,
including socialization with other cats and humans, she is the most
affectionate, loving cat I have ever had. She *still* runs from my
husband and I almost every time we approach her, like it is an old
habit. But she comes to us for affection and sleeps with us, and
in her special room (our bedroom) allows us to pick her up etc.

Old September 28th 04, 10:16 PM
Dick Peavey

"Gail" wrote in message
k.net...
http://muttcats.com/articles/taming_ferals.htm This is one of many
articles on taming feral kittens. The older a kitten or cat is, the
harder it is to tame them. Please note that even adult feral cats can
be tamed and make wonderful, loyal pets. For more articles, go to
google and type in taming feral kittens.
Gail

I'm very interested in this subject. Squeaky is feral but is becoming
increasingly habituated to us and will at least come in the house for
petting and eating and a little play sometimes.

But so far I have not been able to keep him in. He cries and beseeches
to get out so hard that I melt. I just tried for an hour and gave in.
Then we had a long petting session outdoors that was sort of mutual
reassurance before he left for his haunts, which I figure tracking the
bird calls is about 1/4 mile away.

muttcats.com says that ferals over a year sometimes cannot become
homebodies. It's just too wrenching. I'm leaning that way with Squeaky.
He is well adapted to the wild from what I can tell, but I'm not easy
about him with coyotes around. If it weren't for coyotes I'd be content
with Squeaky staying an outdoor cat.

Still, any and all ideas, disagreements, etc., are welcome.

--
Dick

Old October 2nd 04, 08:30 PM
Rhonda

We have taken in at least a few stray outdoor cats, and one 10 year-old
former mouser. The older one adjusted to inside living the quickest, in
fact, he settled right on the couch and didn't move!

The hardest was the young adult. He would cry and beg at the door. We
had to be tough. We had made a decision and we were bigger than him.

He eventually settled in the house wonderfully. He was a great cat. I
bought one of those kitty carriers that is like a baby carrier you strap
on, without the leg holes. He loved it! Every day I'd put it on and we'd
go for a walk around the yard. Neighbors probably thought we were nuts.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Dick Peavey wrote:

k.net...

Old October 2nd 04, 10:38 PM
Dick Peavey

Thank you Rhonda. How long did you have to be "tough" before your young
adult gave up crying and begging at the door, and settled in?

Squeaky knows the litter box and has used it a couple of times. We have
vinyl pads to keep him out of the living and dining rooms (he would love
the Persian rug for sharpening his claws!) And I can get him a tree no
problem.

So far Squeaky has been inducing me to go outside. We had a relaxed
petting session this morning but on Squeaky's terms outside. He even
rewarded me by climbing onto my lap which is quite unusual for him. He
simply doesn't understand why I don't move outside with him! It's
getting hard to say who's boss here.

--
Dick

"Rhonda" wrote in message
We have taken in at least a few stray outdoor cats, and one 10
year-old former mouser. The older one adjusted to inside living the
quickest, in fact, he settled right on the couch and didn't move!

The hardest was the young adult. He would cry and beg at the door. We
had to be tough. We had made a decision and we were bigger than him.

He eventually settled in the house wonderfully. He was a great cat. I
bought one of those kitty carriers that is like a baby carrier you
strap on, without the leg holes. He loved it! Every day I'd put it on
and we'd go for a walk around the yard. Neighbors probably thought we
were nuts.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Dick Peavey wrote: