Outdoor to Indoor

Old September 3rd 03, 12:25 PM
David Meeker

Default Outdoor to Indoor

I have four cats, two of whom were strays accustomed to fending for
themselves out doors. I've managed to get them to tolerate being indoors
overnight, but they still very much enjoy the outdoor life during the day.
Since they don't roam out of the yard very often, I've felt that they are
reasonably safe. This past weekend changed all of that: I spotted a fox in
the yard and the cats didn't seem to realize it was a predator. One of them
in fact began to approach it (The fox was probably thinking "oh boy, I don't
even have to hunt my dinner, it's coming right to me"). I chased the fox
off and have been keeping the cats in. They are very very displeased with
this and have been meowing piteously at the door. I would appreciate any
advice on how to make the transition easier for them as well as any
information you may have about foxes as predators of cats.
Thank you,
Karen

Old September 3rd 03, 01:50 PM
Sherry

I don't want to sound like a commercial, but I just got Hodge "Da Bird,"
which looks like a bird flying around and helps him burn off his excess
energy, along with a laser pointer and soap bubbles. (I don't think he
was an outdoor cat when he was abandoned, because he'd been declawed in
the front, but of course you never know what the abandoner had done . .
.)

--
http://www.mindspring.com/~slywy/
http://slywy.diaryland.com/

I don't want to sound like a commercial, but I just got Hodge "Da Bird,"
which looks like a bird flying around and helps him burn off his excess
energy, along with a laser pointer and soap bubbles.

I've been very tempted to buy "Da Bird". But the way these guys are, I'm afraid
if I spend $30 on a toy, they'll hardly look at it. It does look like fun
though.

Sherry

Old September 3rd 03, 02:50 PM
Cheryl

"Sherry " wrote in message

I've been very tempted to buy "Da Bird". But the way these guys are, I'm

afraid
if I spend $30 on a toy, they'll hardly look at it. It does look like fun
though.

Oooo you should get one! That thing even gets Shadow chasing it. I
don't think it is that much but what I did was get one of the cheap
knock-offs and when I needed a replacement bird I found the Da Bird
replacement and it fits right on the string. Can't remember what it cost
but its worth it.

Old September 3rd 03, 08:04 PM
Sherry

"Sherry " wrote in message

I've been very tempted to buy "Da Bird". But the way these guys are, I'm

afraid
if I spend $30 on a toy, they'll hardly look at it. It does look like fun
though.

Oooo you should get one! That thing even gets Shadow chasing it. I
don't think it is that much but what I did was get one of the cheap
knock-offs and when I needed a replacement bird I found the Da Bird
replacement and it fits right on the string. Can't remember what it cost
but its worth it.

OK, Cheryl, but if I get stuck playing with the thing myself, it's your fault.
Maybe I'm just scroogy becuase I just cleaned out the toy drawer and donated a
huge sack of discards to the H.S. I swear the only thing they really like are
the feather-duster on a stick and the turbo scratcher. Paper sacks and
newspaper tents are still their faves.

Sherry.

Old September 4th 03, 05:31 AM
Sherry

You really should try it, Sherry. My cats love theirs and I've had it for
about 3 years. I think they like it so much is because it sounds like a
bird's
wings when you whip it through the air.

Lauren

Oh, wait a sec. I must be thinking about a different toy. I was thinking about
the $39 toy, on a yellow base, with a bird (or was it a mouse?) on a
wand-thingy that whips around. On batteries. I know now what you're talking
about. Yeah, you guys are probably right...they do love the featherduster
thingy on a wand. They'd probably like daa bird.

Sherry