Changing an Outdoor Cat into an Indoor Cat

Old April 20th 04, 10:17 AM
Troodle

Default Changing an Outdoor Cat into an Indoor Cat

Hello everyone

I have two cats, Burmese boys, and needless to say, they are completely
beloved. I moved house recently, from a rural farm where they had complete
blissful freedom, to an area which is not safe for them. Against my better
judgement I let them out a few days after moving in, and one of them went
missing. We finally got him back, four weeks and much heartache later. In
the meantime we kept the other cat in - he is quite timid and nervous
anyway, so he has adapted well to being in. But the other cat, who was
always more adventurous, is going crazy at being kept inside. It has been
three weeks now, and he isnt getting any better. Letting him out is out of
the question - I've tried taking him out for walks on a harness, but it
seemed to make him worse when he was back inside. The cats come from a long
line of 'indoor cats' and until they were 6 months they hadnt been out, but
then they spent a year roaming the farm, hunting, etc. Now I'm afraid that
my cat will neve adjust, that he will always seem as unhappy as he is now.
It isnt possible to make an outdoor run for them, and even if it was I dont
think that would make it any better for him, he hates being restricted in
any way. We are trying to distract him by playing lots with him, but he just
wants to be out and nothing else seems to do. Has anyone else experienced
this? What did you do, and how did it turn out? I'm very worried, so any
advice or experience will be most welcome.

--
Trudie

Old April 20th 04, 12:33 PM
Wendy

"Troodle" wrote in message
[...]

I've had one who adjusted well to inside living and another cat who tried
clawing through drywall to get back outside. Because your guy wanders I'd
give it more time and get him a nice big cat tree and a window perch so he
can look outside. Keep playing with him to keep him busy and see how it goes
in a while.

Old April 20th 04, 01:46 PM
Alison

Sorry , you're having problems. I just wanted to say that when you
move a cat to a new area , you need to keep your cat in for at least
two weeks before you let it out .A few days isn't enough, which is why
he might have gone missing trying to reach his old territory.

Perhaps the harnmess walks weren't long enough to keep him happy .
Maybe you could walk him twice a day for a longer time. Cat fencing a
yard so they can go out but not leave it , is enough to satisy some
cats.
There's advice here about interactive play which helps satisfy a
cat's hunting instinct
http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv...t/?msg=11667.1

If your cat doesn't settle after a time and you are both unhappy ,
maybe you could think about asking the new owners of the farm if they
would have him, if they are cat lovers and would care for him as you
do. I know it would be upsetting and a loss for you but it is an
option to consider.
Alison

Old April 20th 04, 08:13 PM
rose ricciuto

We also took an outdoor farm cat from NY to FL where he became an indoor
only cat. It took a few weeks before he escaped for a few hours and when
we found him, he never went near a door again - thank God!! Give it
time and plenty of play time. Cats are incrdibly adaptive. We now have 3
exferals as indoor cats and they sit at an open door and look but don't
approach the sill.

Old April 20th 04, 08:55 PM
Sharon Talbert

Be firm, Trudie. Don't even walk the cats outside. You are in for a
possibly long session of howling and carrying on, but it will pass.
Meanwhile, give both cats things to do in their new indoor home: new
places to hide and sleep (an old cat game), toys, bird feeder outside the
window, whatever keeps them interested. And don't give in!

Better a temporarily unhappy cat than a permanently dead one.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Old April 20th 04, 09:27 PM
Ryan Robbins

"Sharon Talbert" wrote in message
ashington.edu...

Be firm, Trudie. Don't even walk the cats outside. You are in for a
possibly long session of howling and carrying on, but it will pass.

Taking a cat outdoors with a harness is perfectly fine. Yes, the cat will
probably howl and meow and harass you to go out, but the behavior will fade
after a couple of weeks once the cat realizes it will get time outdoors.