Vomiting cat

Old April 7th 05, 08:57 PM
Phil P.

"Shadow Walker" wrote in message

Well Phil perhaps its a mix of a few things.....one of them human
related I admit but I don't want to mess with the cans and smell and
mess of dealing with canned food.......

Actually, your cats' health should take precedence over your

convenience.

Mine does and I do not see my cats as being healthy when they cry in pain
because the canned food is too wet. Thus causing diarrhea.
Which in turn is backed up by gas I can here them pass from across the

room.
You know that wet sound that we all make when our stomach lets us know we
ate something we should not have.

Don't forget the buildup on there teeth. Canned cat food leaves residue,
yeah and some would and should advise what to do about that. Wingtips and
other things. My cats won't touch raw meat. They like their dry and the
occasional canned.

but also I am convinced that the
dry food is best for them.

That's hardy the case. In fact, its the complete opposite. Here's why:

http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutritio...i ch_is_reall

Btw, take a look a your cats' teeth. Do you see any first premolars or
lower first or second premolars or broad and fisured crowns for

grinding?
No, right? Their teeth are pointed - designed for tearing and cutting -

not
mastication.

"Max's House is produced in the interest of improving the health of cats
everywhere.

"Max's House is produced in the interest of improving the health of cats
everywhere.

Nuff said.

Sure was! You said enough to prove you're and utter idiot and don't know
*anything* about feline nutrition and to cast serious doubt that you're
capable of learning.

Btw, appropriate screen name "Shadow" - because you're certainly in the dark
about feline nutrition! LOL!

Old April 7th 05, 09:00 PM
Phil P.

"Shadow Walker" wrote in message

ignorant babbling snipped

I won't waste my time commenting on all your other ignorant,
misinformed/uninformed and erroneous nonsense. I'll simply point out that
you, and apparently your vet, don't even understand the very *basics* of
feline nutrition - such as how to compare nutrient values between canned and
dry food - which seriously discounts you and your vet's credibility.

I have learned through
experience with the *vet* that canned is not as good as you claim. It's

got
less of everything and more fat.

Do you understand the concept of "dry matter basis"? I suggest you learn so
you don't continue to make an utter fool of yourself. After you learn,
explain it to your vet! LOL!

Feline nutrition 101: Canned food contains *more* protein and other
nutrients and usually *less* fat than equal quality dry food. Btw, cats
utilize fat *better* than carbohydrates. The carbohydrates in dry food are
what makes cats fat - not the fat content of the food.

That's enough for now, I don't think you could absorb much more than that at
one time.

Old April 7th 05, 09:21 PM
CatNipped

"Diane L. Schirf" wrote in message
k.net...
In article ,
"Shadow Walker" wrote:

Actually, your cats' health should take precedence over your
convenience.

Mine does and I do not see my cats as being healthy when they cry in pain
because the canned food is too wet. Thus causing diarrhea.

You could do what I do, since Hodge has the same problem (constipation
from dry, diarrhea from wet) -- feed wet one meal and dry one meal a
day. He looks great, he got a clean bill of health a couple weeks ago,
and he seems to be doing well on this diet.

I agree. I was a proponent of dry only for a long while, and my cats did
just fine on it (no extra weight, great health, no tartar or cavities,
shining eyes, and coat, etc.), but after Bandit hit 15 my vet said her
creatinin and BUN levels were creeping up a bit and she suggested adding the
canned so Bandit would get more fluids into her system.

It was hard to get them to start eating the canned after all that time on
dry, but, with patience, they have now developed a taste for it. They still
get their dry crunchies too, so they're getting both as a compromise between
their favorite and what's good for them. I'm just trying to gradually
lessen the amount of dry and increase the amount of canned.

I know some feel that only canned is good for them, and I'm sure they're
correct, but you have to balance that with the disadvantages of an abrupt
change in diet and with whether or not your cat will eat it. Even a
starving cat can not immediately be given a good, high caloric food without
drastic effects to his/her system (vomiting, diahrrea, etc.). I think the
change must be gradual both for the cats likes/dislikes and to cause the
least short-term damage to their systems.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
http://www.slywy.com/

Old April 7th 05, 09:49 PM
Laura K

"Diane L. Schirf" wrote in
k.net:

You could do what I do, since Hodge has the same problem (constipation
from dry, diarrhea from wet) -- feed wet one meal and dry one meal a
day. He looks great, he got a clean bill of health a couple weeks ago,
and he seems to be doing well on this diet.

I split a can/pouch between my two for breakfast and then give them dry
during the day. They're thriving on it, according to my vet. In fact, Peaches
is over-thriving and I've had to switch to diet dry.
I tried giving them each a can/pouch for breakfast and they didn't finish it.
I previously had a cat who refused to eat dry. She wouldn't even sniff it. It
simply didn't exist for her. She'd sit there and watch the other cats chow
down on it with this puzzled expression on her face. So I fed everyone
canned, since one of the cats would overeat on dry.
The cat that wouldn't eat dry was the only one that had healthy teeth that
never had to be cleaned. The dry food fanatics all had problems.

Old April 7th 05, 10:14 PM
Phil P.

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I know some feel that only canned is good for them, and I'm sure they're
correct, but you have to balance that with the disadvantages of an abrupt
change in diet and with whether or not your cat will eat it.

Absolutely. It doesn't matter how perfectly formulated a diet is if the cat
won't eat it.

No diet should be changed abruptly - even from one brand to a different
brand of the same type of food.

Its often difficult to change textures because a cat's texture preference is
very strongly influenced by the type of food that the cat was feed when she
was a kitten. Unfortunately, most shelters don't have the funds or help to
feed canned food so most cats develop a strong - and sometimes immovable
preference for dry food.

I also try to accustom all kittens and young cats to canned food because it
makes switching the cat to a prescription diet easier if the need arises
later in life. The *worst* time to try to change textures or even brands is
when a cat is sick -- and that's exactly when most people are forced to
change their cats' diets.

Phil

Old April 7th 05, 10:24 PM
CatNipped

"Phil P." wrote in message
ink.net...

Its often difficult to change textures because a cat's texture preference
is
very strongly influenced by the type of food that the cat was feed when
she
was a kitten. Unfortunately, most shelters don't have the funds or help
feed canned food so most cats develop a strong - and sometimes immovable
preference for dry food.

Good idea to get them used to it as a kitten. However, a lot of vets are
still recommending to owners to feed dry because they were taught that that
was better for their teeth. The facts still haven't filtered down to all
vets out there yet, so lots of kittens are still started out on dry.

And yeah, it's hard for a shelter, struggling just to keep its doors open
and feed the animals in its overflowing cages, to provide the best food.
Along those lines, Phil, do you know if Fancy Feast and the other grocery
store brands who've improved their formulas are planning to kick up their
prices too? If so, then we're in the same spot as before, but if not that
should force the premium brands to come down in price - whoohoo!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 7th 05, 10:44 PM
Laura K

"Phil P." wrote in
ink.net:

Its often difficult to change textures because a cat's texture
preference is very strongly influenced by the type of food that the cat
was feed when she was a kitten. Unfortunately, most shelters don't have
the funds or help to feed canned food so most cats develop a strong -
and sometimes immovable preference for dry food.

When I adopted Simon from the Humane Society two years ago they sent him home
with a sample of IAMS, which was what he was being fed there, and coupons
for more.
Once I got him home, he refused to eat the IAMS but dug right into the Fancy
Feast and some Purina One Kitten chow I bought him.
Last year, I tried some of the pouch food when it was on sale and now he just
wants that, as long as it's the chunky kind. He won't eat the ground up kind
at all, although he used to. And it has to come from a pouch, with exceptions
made for Duck with Wild Rice and Chicken Cacciatore which only come canned
and are two of his favorites.
Fortunately my other cat, Peaches, was always in multi-cat situations and
learned early to eat whatever shows up in her bowl as soon as it shows up.

Old April 8th 05, 01:08 AM
bjdbrad

You are right Phil I better quit before you embarass me ........I can't
think of anything worse than being embarassed by a moron......is your
head larger than the average head.....??.....knowing everything must
take its toll after awhile......by the way....I can copy and paste with
the best of em

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A WELL-PRESERVED
BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING... "
HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

Old April 8th 05, 09:01 AM
bjdbrad

Phil.....why do you suppose it is that everyone can voice their
opinions without having their nose stuck up in the air like you
do...??....the only confrontations I see are between you and other
people.......why don't you tell us what makes you such an expert.....so
far you have told us not to trust our vets or our breeders but you
never said why we should accept your moronic babble about
everything.........its clear someone has you totally brainwashed
.........enough so in fact that nothing anyone says would be good enough
for you no matter their credentials unless their ideas revolve around
yours.......you are totally close minded and being led around by the
nose by someone........you probably work for one of the canned food
companies.........I might even read your posts all the way through if
you weren't always trying to drag someone down.......try making your
point and relying on your laurels........it must be hell going through
life with a **** personality like you have.........

Old April 8th 05, 09:14 AM
Mary

"bjdbrad" wrote in message
oups.com...
Phil.....why do you suppose it is that everyone can voice their
opinions without having their nose stuck up in the air like you
do...??....

snipped in order to be merciful to Brad

Brad, please go and Google Phil before you make a bigger ass of yourself.
He consistently posts some of the most useful information here, and works
tirelessly for strays. He has told me things that my vet was doing wrong,
and
when I took them to the vet he agreed when he reviewed the info Phil gave
me. He knows his stuff. Dry food is not as good for your cat as canned.
If you want to feed him that for your own convenience, then do it. I feed
one
of mine primarily dry because she is allergic to a bunch of stuff and this
stuff
does not seem to bother her.