Neutering and its effects

Old September 27th 03, 05:39 PM
Philip ®

In ,
~*SooZy*~ being of bellicose mind
posted:

"Rachel" wrote in message
Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday,
everything went great and he has recovered extremely well from
his "ordeal". My question is how long is it usually before you
might see a difference in the cats personality? I think there
are some changes already such as he doesn't seem to do the
mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back
up and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little
calmer. I am hoping that he becomes a little more affectionate
with time as he matures coupled with the neutering.

Thanks in advance.

Rachel

I never noticed any personality change at all after my cats were
spayed or neutered. As you said, your cat may become more
affectionate with time -- but this is not something to expect
immediately, and it it will vary greatly with different cats.
What you describe as "mock spraying" may be what many call "the
happy shake." If so, your cat is not trying to spray. That,
too, varies with different cats.

MaryL

me neither in any of mine, But I think if you had cat used for
stud and then you had him neutered you would notice the change in
him, because he would be desperate for a female anymore so would
become calmer.

Hahahhaha. Not so with a seal point Siamese I had long ago. Had him
neutered at 3yrs (don't ask why.... wife thing) and the only thing
that changed was his "focus" Anything that was hairy became the
object of his affections. This included blankets with fringe on the
ends, parkas with furry collars, even throw pillows with
fringe/tassels. It got pretty funny for awhile there! Then he'd get
an erection and go to licking himself in front of guests. The wife
really had a problem with this behavior. LOL
--

~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Old September 27th 03, 05:43 PM
~*SooZy*~

"Philip ®" wrote in message
nk.net...
In ,
Rachel being of bellicose mind posted:
Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday,
everything went great and he has recovered extremely well from his
"ordeal". My question is how long is it usually before you might
see a difference in the cats personality? I think there are some
changes already such as he doesn't seem to do the mock spraying
thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up and pretend
to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures
coupled with the neutering.

Thanks in advance.

Rachel

What's a mock?
--

~~Philip

could it be standing stamping his feet, bottom up against the wall, tail
shaking with no spray coming out ;-)

Old September 27th 03, 05:49 PM
MaryL

"~*SooZy*~" wrote in message

"Rachel" wrote in message
[...]

That is quite possible. I didn't think of that because all of mine were
neutered at a few months of age. All have been wonderfully affectionate
cats.

MaryL

Old September 27th 03, 05:59 PM
Sandra Loosemore

"Rachel" writes:

Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything went
great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My question is
how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't seem
to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up
and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures coupled
with the neutering.

When I had my guy Nerf "fixed" (he was also about 5 months), I didn't
really notice any change in his personality or behavior towards me,
but what I did see was an immediate shift in his relationship with my
older cat Slinky (a spayed female). Pre-neutering, Nerf was obviously
trying to take over as top cat in my household, and Slinky was acting
rather intimidated by him. But as soon as I brought Nerf home from
the vet after being neutered, I noticed that Slinky started
re-asserting herself again and letting Nerf know that she was still
the #1 cat.

-Sandra