Speaking of Fences (OT)

Old July 24th 05, 12:12 AM
jmcquown

Default Speaking of Fences (OT)

I've been living in this apartment complex for 9 years now. I never had a
complaint until they decided to rip out and re-build the fences around the
patios in 1999. The old fences were 6 feet tall and provided privacy but
they needed to be replaced. The new ones they installed are only 3 feet
tall! Granted, I don't have a jacuzzi on my patio. But my sliding glass
doors into my bedroom open onto the patio and face the main driveway.

I don't feel comfortable changing changing my clothes in my bedroom without
making sure either the vertical blinds are closed or I step into the
bathroom or the closet. I was assured no one could see in (how do they
know, did they come look?)

I was given a buttload of excuses, but we all know it was cheaper for them
to have 3 foot fences installed. Among the excuses given was "so our
security people can tell if someone who doesn't belong there is on the
patio". Really? So they know what my friends look like? They know what
*I* look like? (Not only that, I've never *seen* these alleged security
people. Maybe they are invisible, like greeblings.)

I have a covered patio swing and when it's not 100F degrees I like to sit
outside in my swimsuit or shorts and a tank top and read. So, the yard guys
are walking around trimming hedges, cutting the grass and picking up fallen
branches. Privacy? Nope. Lots of gawking going on; makes me very
uncomfortable.

Then there was the time I was out there refilling the bird feeder; I took it
down off the shepherd's hook and was pouring seed in when a man who lives
down the street (not in the complex) spoke. I nearly jumped out of my skin.
There he was leaning over the fence; I had no idea he was there. Yes, this
makes me feel so much more "secure".

I wrote a strongly worded letter to the management firm and of course
received no reply. It wasn't enough to make me move; they are excellent
about taking care of everything else. But I just don't enjoy my patio as
much as I used to.

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Old July 24th 05, 12:46 AM
Hopitus

I'm condo-hunting right now and firstoff informed my r.e.agent there is *no
way* I will even look @ what locally they call "garden-level" - which could
be either basement or ground-level - apts. Less trouble to break into than
higher floors.
I have a suggestion for your dilemma though: tall potted ficus trees, as
many as necessary, (real or fake if your patio's covered) positioned around
perimeter of patio to obscure present unobstructed views. I used this to
advantage on patio of a '70's-era apt. where we lived in Miami which faced
(yes!) I-95 (we called it "the Niner" affectionately) southbound.
It was *not* ground-level. We hung strands of lights on them @ Xmas. They
were real.

Old July 24th 05, 12:58 AM

Hopitus wrote:
I'm condo-hunting right now and firstoff informed my r.e.agent there is *no
way* I will even look @ what locally they call "garden-level" - which could
be either basement or ground-level - apts. Less trouble to break into than
higher floors.

I never thought of that--my first inclination would be to want a
ground-floor to make it easier to haul groceries and my self up a
flight of stairs. Also jumping out a window in case of fire would be
handier if it was ground floor. Tornados, wait, you don't have tornados
do you.
I used to leave the upstairs windows unlocked, even open, when we lived
in the city. I didn't take into consideration the agility of the
average burglar. It was no problem for them to get on top of the fence,
then on top of the garage roof, then in the bedroom window.
Speaking also of fences, there are eight cows lined up with their heads
through the barbed wire fence staring at me right now. I know how you
hate cows, it made me chuckle. This is watermelon/canteloup season. I
take the rinds outside and throw them over the fence for "the girls". I
think they think if they stare me down I'll take something out there.

Sherry

Old July 24th 05, 01:21 AM
Hopitus

ROFL, Sherry, I don't hate cows but I can see where you'd think so: I'm just
very very afraid of them unless they are reduced to ground-up status in
between two buns....urban Miami is a lot different than where you live,
Sherry, AFA safety in "garden-level" housing. Ditto MileHigh....

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old July 25th 05, 04:30 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-07-24, Hopitus penned:
ROFL, Sherry, I don't hate cows but I can see where you'd think so: I'm just
very very afraid of them unless they are reduced to ground-up status in
between two buns.

Unless the cows are buffalo, and then they're still scary!

*grin* *duck*

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 25th 05, 05:26 AM
Hopitus

Heh....scarier, hairier, and much smellier.

Old July 24th 05, 04:38 PM
Enfilade

right now and firstoff informed my r.e.agent there is *no
way* I will even look @ what locally they call "garden-level" - which could
be either basement or ground-level - apts. Less trouble to break into than
higher floors.

I never thought of that--my first inclination would be to want a
ground-floor to make it easier to haul groceries and my self up a
flight of stairs. Also jumping out a window in case of fire would be
handier if it was ground floor. Tornados, wait, you don't have tornados
do you.

I live on the third floor.

If there is a fire, we are low enough to survive the jump/fall.

But we are high enough that no one can look into our windows walking
by, and no one can jump onto our balcony from the ground.

If burglars want in, they will need to either get around the security
in the lobby or be athletic enough to rappel up to our balcony.
Smash-n-grab isn't an option.

We get a bit of excercise hauling up our groceries up the stairs, but
we don't exhaust ourselves.

--Fil

PS. Those maintenance guys sound super creepy. Ick It should be
part of their job to be friendly YET INOBTRUSIVE, not hanging out like
they were your friend or family or something.

I feel very fortunate that our building's management is mostly
hands-off (though they are helping us out with our loud-music-playing
neighbours.)

Old July 24th 05, 05:55 PM
jmcquown

Enfilade wrote:
PS. Those maintenance guys sound super creepy. Ick It should be
part of their job to be friendly YET INOBTRUSIVE, not hanging out like
they were your friend or family or something.

Yeah, it freaked me out, to say the least. The manager told me the guy
leaving me gifts had placed personal ads in the newspaper. Uh... then when
you tell him to *stay away from me* tell him I don't qualify for the job!

Jill

Old July 24th 05, 06:38 PM
Hopitus

Ditto our apt. Corner PH on bldg tall enough to where I can see gold-domed
Capitol from l.r. windows - no one but firerescue has ladders high enough to
reach up here (told to us by cable guy, who had to rappel his line down side
of bldg) and we have an ancient but colorful elevator. Secure entryway. If
anybody gets in here it'll be through the door and we are well versed in
urban survival skills. Reason I moved in he very near relative's houses,
and corporate owners of bldg. LOVE cats & d-pets (any amount you want is
fine). I bet Memphis is a lot tamer (not counting the maint.men LOL) than
Capitol hill MileHigh. Let's hope so.

oups.com...