Do you collect cat items?

Old May 22nd 12, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default Do you collect cat items?

dgk wrote:

On Sat, 19 May 2012 15:23:03 -0400, ann791 wrote:

I have a collection of cat figures. DH usually buys me them. He even
bought me one for the garden that looks like a cat sitting. I have some
earrings that are cats and a pretty pendant of a cat.

Ann

I don't buy many cat items (except for stuff the cats might like) but
as with other folks here, I get quite a few as gifts. For some reason
my friends and family think that I might want more cat items. They are
cute, but I'm old enough now to be trying to get rid of stuff, not
accumulate more.

Once people get the idea that you collect animal figurines (of whatever
species they think you're fond of), you absolutely cannot get rid of
them! They're like the Craig Shergold email, coming back to haunt you
just when you thought it was safe to have a birthday again.

In my case, although I'm not crazy about glass or ceramic figurines
(allowing for a few exceptions) I am at least fond of cats. I had a
friend years ago who, for some mysterious reason, got the reputation
for being a collector of pig figurines. It was unstoppable! And since
the were gifts, she couldn't exactly say to people, "Will you please
*stop* already with the ceramic pigs?"

On one famous birthday party (famous to those who attended, that is), I
received almost nothing except cat tchotchkes. It was hilarious, and
each time I opened a gift, I would start laughing hysterically. I'm sure
I've mentioned this many times, but the piece de resistance was a cat
scratching post and a mousie toy. For *me*.

I enjoyed that party and all the cat stuff - it was funny and kind of
touching that everyone knew about my cat adoration. But that was long
before my figurine collection had gotten big enough to be considered
clutter. One of these days I'll get around to freecycling or donating
a bunch of them somewhere. Some I will definitely keep, though.

--
Joyce

Hi, this is the Sylvia stress reduction hotline. At the sound of
the beep, repeat after me: "This week, let someone else strive for
excellence." -- Nicole Hollander
Old May 22nd 12, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

dgk wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2012 15:23:03 -0400, ann791 wrote:

I have a collection of cat figures. DH usually buys me them. He even
bought me one for the garden that looks like a cat sitting. I have some
earrings that are cats and a pretty pendant of a cat.

Ann

I don't buy many cat items (except for stuff the cats might like) but
as with other folks here, I get quite a few as gifts. For some reason
my friends and family think that I might want more cat items. They are
cute, but I'm old enough now to be trying to get rid of stuff, not
accumulate more.

I personally like getting cat-related presents. My favourite birthday
gifts that I got were a beanie baby black and white kitten that looks
like Kotyo's twin brother, and a t-shirt with Kotyo's picture on it that
a friend gave me (she was very sneaky about it, too - I was totally
surprised when I opened my present and my little monster's face was
staring at me from a t-shirt).

Here's the monster hanging out with his beanie-baby twin:
https://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova...65767305132146

And this is the picture on my t-shirt.
https://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova...67699253198866

Unfortunately I wore the t-shirt so much that it is now too ratty for
wearing outside of the house. But did wear it when we flew with Kotyo
from Canada to Spain. I knew I would have to take him out of the carrier
at the x-ray scanners, so I figured, if somehow he got away from me and
I had to go searching for him around the airport, it would be easier if
I could just point to my t-shirt and say "have you seen this cat?"

I also have a bunch of other beanie baby cats of various sizes, some I
bought and some were gifts. And blankets with cats on them, and pillows,
and a cat clock (a kitty sleeping on a stack of books). And a *ton* of
cat jigsaw puzzles. Oh, and a throw that I use as a wall hanging because
it is too pretty to actually use as a throw.
https://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova...88710745204482

I think I am well on the way to becoming a crazy cat lady. I just need a
few more cat-related things...

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old May 22nd 12, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bastette" wrote in message
dgk wrote:

[...]

It can work in other areas too. When I was a child, my mother would buy a
pair of salt and pepper shakers represented places we visited. She didn't
have many, because we didn't travel much. However, somebody noticed the
ones she had, and the word got out that she collected salt and pepper
shakers. Within a couple of years, she had dozens of pairs, most of them
gifts.

Joy

Old May 22nd 12, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Nadia N." wrote in message
dgk wrote:
[...]

Ah, yes. Those surprise tee shirts can be wonderful. Many years ago, my
mother asked me to send her a picture of my two cats together. I did, and
for my birthday, she gave me a tee shirt with their picture, over the
caption, "Let sleeping cats lie."

Joy

Old May 22nd 12, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"Nadia N." wrote:
dgk wrote:
[...]

Most of the birthday cards I get have cats on them. This year my sister
gave me the book, "I am Maru". I say to people, do you think I like cats by
any chance? ;-)
--
Adrian
Old May 23rd 12, 05:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 5/19/2012 3:23 PM, ann791 wrote:
I have a collection of cat figures. DH usually buys me them. He even
bought me one for the garden that looks like a cat sitting. I have some
earrings that are cats and a pretty pendant of a cat.

I have a wall with sculpture type wall art with "Tall Cats" (I bought
every one I could find on eBay; they re so unique) and stuffed cats by
Boyd's Bears on a shelf on the same wall, a cat quilt my mom made on the
wall. So yes, I collect cat items. I get them as gifts, too.

Old May 23rd 12, 06:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 5/19/2012 3:23 PM, ann791 wrote:
I have a collection of cat figures. DH usually buys me them. He even
bought me one for the garden that looks like a cat sitting. I have some
earrings that are cats and a pretty pendant of a cat.

Here is one example of the Tall Cats I mentioned. After a lot of
searching, because I bought them so long ago and two came from Kohl's
before I knew there was a large set, the artist is E. Smithson.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/art-print-TU...-/120770357085

Old May 23rd 12, 06:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 5/22/2012 5:02 PM, Nadia N. wrote:
dgk wrote:
[...]

I hear you about the gifts and crazy cat lady stuff. My brother bought
me a paw shaped magnet that you put on the back of your car that says
"one cat away from being that crazy cat lady". Hate to tell him I
already am.
Old May 23rd 12, 09:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Adrian" wrote in message

Most of the birthday cards I get have cats on them. This year
my sister
gave me the book, "I am Maru". I say to people, do you think I
like cats by
any chance? ;-)

Well, I'm looking at the bookshelf in my bedroom:

Personality Cats
The Funny Book of Cats
Cat Confidential
The Devious Book For Cats
Cat Behaviour Explained
The Sophisticated Cat
Cats in Books
A Cat is Watching
Augusta The Great
Mieaoui - A Treatise on Cats
Puss in Books
Cat Haiku
Catmas Carols
Champion Cats Of The World
365 Ways to Love Your Cat
One Hundred Ways for a Cat to Train Its Human
Champion Cats Of The World
Purr Points
Augusta The Great
French Cats Don't Get Fat
The Awfully Good Cat Joke Book
The Book of Cats
101 Key Points of Cat Care
Cats' Kingdom
Particularly Cats
A Cat Affair
A Cat In The Window
Cat's Christmas
Cathedral Cats
The Mousehole Cat
Cats In The News
Cat and Kitten Care
Best Cat Stories
Every Cat In The Book
Garfield Gallery
Garfield: His 9 Lives
The Cat Lovers Companion
Felidae On The Road
A Celebration of Cats
The British Museum Book of Cats
Cats - The Rise Of The Cat
Cat And Camera
How To Live With A Neurotic Cat
Grabianski's Cats
Garfield "I Hate Monday"
The Love of Cats
Definitive IQ Test for Cats
Lama
Is There Life Without Cats?
The Laws of Cat Physics
Here Comes Garfield
Humphrey - The Nine Lives Of The Number Ten Cat
Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats
Cool Cats
Casey
Garfield Here's Looking At You
Garfield Two's Company
Tripli-Cat
Cats, No Less
A Clowder of Cats
Problem Puss
A Cast of Lions
Cats Cats Cats
Impressionist Cats
Cat Chat
A Passion For Cats
The Language Of Your Cat
The Garfield Treasury
The Garfield Selection
Catmopolitan
Kittens
The Little Cat Book
Cat World
The English Cat At Home
Cats
Garfield 25 Years of Me
The Character of Cats
The Book of Cats
The Nine Emotional Lives of Cats
The Cat's Whiskers
A Collection of Cats Tales
Kittenwar
Wonder Cats
A Friend Like Ben
Dewey
One Hundred Ways For A Cat To Find Its Inner Kitten
Catlore

There's more scattered around the home, and at work!

--
MatSav

Old May 23rd 12, 11:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Once people get the idea that you collect animal figurines (of whatever
species they think you're fond of), you absolutely cannot get rid of
them! They're like the Craig Shergold email, coming back to haunt you
just when you thought it was safe to have a birthday again.

This is horribly true. I tell people "I have real live breathing
fur-shedding cats, why would I want a sculpture of one?" but the
message doesn't often get through.