Hello (+ a question about neutering)

Old October 8th 03, 01:07 AM
DemoDisk

Default Hello (+ a question about neutering)

Hi, all:

I haven't posted to any of the .cats groups since we lost KitKat 3 years
ago, but now I have a question....

On the 25th of May we discovered on the back stoop a frightened little
kitten about 6 weeks old (said the vet). KitKat had taught us to obey, so
there was no question about taking him in.

PJ is now a swaggering young cat about 5½ months old. He's an indoor cat bcz
we don't want to lose him to the highway predator like we lost KitKat (he
even looks like her).

Tomorrow he goes to TED to ...well... get fixed. There's not really time to
rethink the decision, but I'd like to know how other folks feel about
neutering a pet they love.

I guess what I'm asking is if it's the right thing to do *to* him or for him
now. He's energetic and strong-willed now, on occasion very sweet, but
sometimes more than we can handle. How will neutering change him?

Old October 8th 03, 01:12 AM
Cathy Friedmann

The only ways neutering will change him is that he won't crave going out to
find female cats in heat. His pee won't stink to high heaven (sexually
mature male cats' pee **stinks** - enough to make one's eyes water), & he'll
be less likely to spray. IOW - good idea to get him neutered now, at 5½
months. He'll never know the difference, but you will. ;-)

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old October 8th 03, 01:16 AM
Lauralai

hi
neutering is apsolutely the right thing to do, not only will it help keep
him healthier it will also help prevent him from spraying
here are a few links you can read for all the pros for nutureing

http://www.hsus.org/ace/11879
http://www.care-for-my-cat.com/html/...or_neuter.html
http://www.thecatsite.com/care/spay.html
if you look on google you can find more too by searching

Old October 8th 03, 02:18 AM
Iso

Fix it and forget about it. You are doing your community and yourself a
favor by neutering/castrating the cat! Yes, the cat will change; although
every animal is different, there are some factors in all cats that change
once it is neutered. Neutering makes for a better pet, removing the hormonal
factors and associated behavior of a sexually active pet. Once neutered,
cats are usually very affectionate and more predictable in their behavior,
although not all the time. Results vary, but some of the prevailing symptoms
of castration a less prone to wandering, more affectionate, less
aggressive, less territorial, more social with other felines and healthier.
Males will also decrease their desire to spray and mark everything within
their territory, but it wont stop the spraying all the time. For most
owners, keeping a non-castrated cat in the house is not possible. Cut its
balls off and get on with your life. It's just a cat! You can always get
another!

Old October 8th 03, 03:29 AM
Sunflower

"DemoDisk" wrote in message
[...]

'Don't project human emotions onto your cat. Neutering does nothing but
affect them positively, and they do NOT miss out on anything. If you have
it done young enough, they don't even notice anything's happened. They are
far more affected by the anesthesia than the actual procedure. Full healing
for 8 week old male kittens is approximately 5 days. Add an additional
healing day for every month over 2. The earlier the better.

Sunflower

Old October 8th 03, 04:37 AM
Philip ®

In ,
Sunflower being of bellicose mind
posted:
"DemoDisk" wrote in message
[...]

I had neutered a Siamese male THAT young. 10 weeks was too young.
WAY too young. Weight issues and personality beyond the fickle an
neurotic characteristics of Siamese anyway. Took extra effort to
socialize him.

My best "timing" has been to wait until the cat first starts the late
night yowling to get out of the house to hump anything that he can
pin down ... so to speak. For this current tabby, that was nearly 9
months.
--

~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"