SERIOUS: PET FOOD RECALL

Old March 19th 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
wmarcello

Default SERIOUS: PET FOOD RECALL

On Mar 17, 6:12 am, "-L." wrote:
A number of foods are being recalled because animals are getting sick
and dying; kidney failure is the most prevalent problem and they are
not sure what is causing it yet.

Here is the complete list of cat foods:

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html

Dog foods:

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

PLEASE check the lists for any foods you may have and follow the
guidelines on the website:http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Pres...l_03162007.pdf
Phone Number
1-866-895-2708

-L.

Does anybody know if a certain amount of this food has to be ingested
before it becomes fatal?

Old March 19th 07, 05:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Does anybody know if a certain amount of thisfoodhas to be ingested
before it becomes fatal?- Hide quoted text -

My (10.1 lb., four-year-old, otherwise healthy) cat experienced kidney
failure after consuming only three pouches of tainted food over a
period of two days. Dried vomit (containing the offending food) that I
found hidden under a table Thursday evening suggests that he began
having problems after the second pouch, at the latest.

My five-year-old 18.5 lb. male ate only one pouch (and some gravy from
a second) before refusing to eat the food. He appears healthy at this
point, but I will be taking him in tomorrow for bloodwork just to be
on the safe side.

A third cat (11 y/o 10.3 lb. female) consumed 1/3 pouch, and also
seems to be doing fine. I am monitoring her, but have been advised
that she should be OK.

That's been my experience.. it could be different for others. Because
we don't yet know what the food was contaminated with, I suppose it's
possible that some animals may have a higher tolerance to the
substance than others.

Old March 19th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mystro

On Mar 18, 11:50 am, "PawsForThought" wrote:
Wow, this is really scary stuff, especially since so many foods are
affected.

Yes it is cause for concern but not panic when you consider out of the
10's of millions less then
20 pets have so been reported from what I've read..that's a relief.

Old March 19th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mystro

On Mar 18, 9:07 pm, wrote:
I suppose it's
possible that some animals may have a higher tolerance to the
substance than others.

I think so..it certainly applies to humans especially when you
consider we consume
contaminated food to some degree almost daily.

Old March 19th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
zinzee

On Mar 17, 9:19 am, "Sandy McDermin" wrote:

Well, the other article on this newsgroup, posted by Bellsouth, has info
about IAMS and Eukanuba with product and factory codes, and I just want to
know if that's all I have to know about those two. I have a few IAMS pouches
and they don't fall into the range of those numbers. Plus, I've already fed
my cats one of those pouches a couple of days ago and all is well.

Sandy

Sandy, I'd say it's not worth the chance. I don't support any of
their products anyhow. I only buy Wellness food for my cat. I've
gotten my mom to make the switch and I'm working on my grandma and
uncle.

Horrible news.

Old March 19th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

It's still a risk though. Even one cat dying is too much.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

oups.com...

Old March 19th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

We use Blue Buffalo over here. My cats love it and won't eat anything else.
Best of all it's a healthy food for them.

Old March 19th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mystro

On Mar 19, 10:27 am, "zinzee" wrote:
I only buy Wellness food for my cat.

Virtually all the labels use ingredients from different sources so no
guarantee with any product even to the somewhat lesser degree
*homemade.. unless your also growing
your own veggies and meat.

Old March 19th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
wmarcello

On Mar 19, 2:17 pm, "mystro" wrote:
On Mar 18, 11:50 am, "PawsForThought" wrote:

Wow, this is really scary stuff, especially since so many foods are
affected.

Yes it is cause for concern but not panic when you consider out of the
10's of millions less then
20 pets have so been reported from what I've read..that's a relief.

I am very skeptical of the low number of deaths reported. How many
people on these newsgroups have posted about losing a pet, or at least
having one severely ill because of the tainted food? The only reason
I found out about the recall is because my friend now has a cat in the
hospital with kidney failure who might not make it, and this is way up
in NB Canada. This leads me to believe it may be more widespread than
it seems.

Old March 19th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
J Coffey

Leave it to the government to respond by killing more animals!
Too bad the morons doing the testing were not forced to eat the
tainted food.

Feds Tests of Suspect Pet Food Kills 7

Federal Tests of Suspect Pet Food Kills 7 Subjects, Major Recall
Underway

By ANDREW BRIDGES
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Seven animals died in tests of suspect dog and cat food
by the manufacturer after complaints the products were poisoning pets
around the country, the government said Monday.

A federal investigation is focusing on wheat gluten as the likely
source of contamination that sparked a recall last Friday of 60
million cans and pouches of the suspect food, said Stephen F. Sundlof,
the Food and Drug Administration's top veterinarian.

The ingredient, a protein source, is commonly used as filler.

Agency investigators are looking at other ingredients as well. The
wet-style pet food was made by Menu Foods, an Ontario, Canada-based
company.

Menu Foods told the FDA it received the first complaints of kidney
failure and deaths among cats and dogs from pet owners on Feb. 20. It
began new tests on Feb. 27.

During those tests, the company fed its product to 40 to 50 dogs and
cats and some seven animals the mix of species was not immediately
known died, Sundlof said. The contamination appeared more deadly to
cats than to dogs, he said.

The recall now covers dog food sold throughout North America under 51
brands and cat food sold under 40 brands, including Iams, Nutro and
Eukanuba. The food was sold under both store and major brand labels at
Wal-Mart, Kroger, Safeway and other large retailers.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2964316