The neighbors' dogs

Old March 25th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default The neighbors' dogs

On 2006-03-25, Pat penned:

"PatM" wrote

It could well be that these neighbors are just careless and
unthinking rather than deliberate in their actions. Does it look
like the folks that lived in your house before you cared about how
the lawn looked? Maybe they just never said anything about the
dogs? I agree a one on one visit is best at this point...you guys
have to live next doot to each other. Let us know what happens!

They just moved in a few weeks before I did, they came from way out
in the country too. So they probably were not thinking about it
until I mentioned it.

It might be a case of owners who never "had" to obedience train the
dogs. Now that they're in a more populated area, suddenly they are
embarrassed by the dogs' behavior and are trying desperately (via
yelling at them when on walks, etc) to make up for lost time and prove
to other people in the neighborhood that they're not just letting
their dogs run rampant.

It's a thought, anyway.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 25th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote

It might be a case of owners who never "had" to obedience train the
dogs. Now that they're in a more populated area, suddenly they are
embarrassed by the dogs' behavior and are trying desperately (via
yelling at them when on walks, etc) to make up for lost time and prove
to other people in the neighborhood that they're not just letting
their dogs run rampant.

It's a thought, anyway.

It's not so much they yell at them to discipline them but rather to keep
them from running off too far or into the street. There are three dogs and
they all go out at once with one human, who endeavors to keep track of all
three at the same time without using leashes. So one or more of them is
always getting too far away and must be called back.

Old March 25th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-25, Pat penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote

It might be a case of owners who never "had" to obedience train the
dogs. Now that they're in a more populated area, suddenly they are
embarrassed by the dogs' behavior and are trying desperately (via
yelling at them when on walks, etc) to make up for lost time and
prove to other people in the neighborhood that they're not just
letting their dogs run rampant.

It's a thought, anyway.

It's not so much they yell at them to discipline them but rather to
keep them from running off too far or into the street.

That's also a part of training, though. There are plenty of dogs
trained to heel without a leash or to stay within some distance
without a leash.

There are three dogs and they all go out at once with one human, who
endeavors to keep track of all three at the same time without using
leashes. So one or more of them is always getting too far away and
must be called back.

Still, a well-trained dog doesn't need to be yelled at. Training
needs to be constantly reinforced, but yelling isn't necessary
(especially if it's driving your neighbors nuts).

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 25th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:

"PatM" wrote

It could well be that these neighbors are just careless and unthinking
rather than deliberate in their actions. Does it look like the folks
that lived in your house before you cared about how the lawn looked?
Maybe they just never said anything about the dogs? I agree a one on
one visit is best at this point...you guys have to live next doot to
each other. Let us know what happens!

They just moved in a few weeks before I did, they came from way out in the
country too. So they probably were not thinking about it until I mentioned
it.

I guess they never had to deal with this, but now that they live where
they have neighbours, I hope for your sake, Pat, and for the sake of the
other neighbours, that they somehow manage to train their dogs.
Purrs and best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Old March 26th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in message
In the house closest to mine lives a couple and three dogs. Their yard is
not fenced, so the dogs only get to go out with the people, and mostly
only when they need to relieve themselves. I did not realize until the
other night that they are letting their dogs poop in my yard. I realized
it because I was out there and stepped in some, without seeing or feeling
it, then tracked it through my house before I noticed it.

YUK!! I read through this entire thread before deciding to answer it. I
agree with those who say to try to talk to the persons first. Maybe, since
you were both country folk before moving into town, you could approach them
with either a dinner invitation or a request for information about where
they think is the best place (sorry Mandy interruptions) to find something
you need. Then you can ask about leash laws, in case they affect the cats,
and so forth. Who knows you might become good neighbors with these people,
if not friends. You may find out that they can help you as much as you can
help them.

Pam S. who has found some good friends using a smile and a casserole

Old March 26th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pamela Shirk" wrote

YUK!! I read through this entire thread before deciding to answer it. I
agree with those who say to try to talk to the persons first. Maybe,
since you were both country folk before moving into town, you could
approach them with either a dinner invitation or a request for information
about where they think is the best place (sorry Mandy interruptions) to
find something you need. Then you can ask about leash laws, in case they
affect the cats, and so forth. Who knows you might become good neighbors
with these people, if not friends. You may find out that they can help
you as much as you can help them.

Heh. I already tried that, well before the dog-poo incident. I wanted to be
friends with the neighbors and introduced myself on Day One when I needed to
use a phone while waiting for mine to come on. They were extremely nice to
me that day and I spent at least an hour chatting with them. Since the house
is for sale (by the same folks who owned the one I bought) I asked if they
had considered buying it. They said they were thinking about it.

Then a week or two later I went over with a question about mini-blinds. I
really just wanted some company. They woman came to the door, held it open
and stood there talking, without asking me in, so I figured she must be busy
or something and excused myself. As I went to leave, I asked "oh yeah did
you guys decide to buy the house?" And she replied, curtly, "That's *my*
business" and gave me a little strange dirty look. I didn't know what to
make of that, and haven't spoken to her since.