Cat euthanized while owners are away...

Old October 18th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Cat euthanized while owners are away...

Watch the video.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_15847.aspx

Pet Owners Outraged After Cat Euthanized While They're Away
Wednesday October 17, 2007
CityNews.ca Staff
A Mississauga couple is fuming after their pet cat was put to sleep by
a local animal shelter while they were away on vacation.

Krinkles (pictured) was taken to Mississauga Animal Services last
week, when he was found roaming the streets. But his vacationing
owners came home to find out their favourite feline had died at the
hands of shelter workers.

"He was our family. He slept with us every night, you know what I
mean?" said grieving owner Mark Serra.

When Serra arrived home from his trip, he wasn't greeted by his
beloved cat but rather a letter from Animal Services saying it caught
their cat and euthanized it. And to add insult to injury, they billed
him for their trouble for $132.50.

"For impound fee, boarding fee, surrender fee, service fee, and goods
and services for killing the animal," he angrily notes.

The letter claims that the tabby was picked up October 10th but the
family didn't return home from their vacation until the 14th.

They claim the cat should have never been put to sleep since it had an
I.D. tag and was microchipped.

Animal Services said they called one of the many contact numbers, but
after three days they put Krinkles down because he was acting too
aggressively. "We feel terrible," said spokesperson Janet Michaud. "We
know that this was someone's pet. Unfortunately the cat didn't adapt
to being here. We weren't able to find him a new home."

Animal Services has agreed to waive the bill, but Serra says it's not
good enough for a family now mourning their cat.

"Those people as far as I'm concerned have no heart," he concludes.

Old October 18th 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Question, who was responsible for the cat while they were on vacation?
Feeding, watering etc. Couldn't get to the article.
ups.com...

Old October 18th 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 22:05:22 -0500, Granby wrote:

Question, who was responsible for the cat while they were on vacation?
Feeding, watering etc. Couldn't get to the article.
wrote in message
ups.com...
[quoted text muted]

I was able to read the article, but it did not explain whether the cat had
a caretaker. MLB
Old October 18th 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:

Watch the video.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_15847.aspx

Pet Owners Outraged After Cat Euthanized While They're Away

That is one horrible story!! Can they sue? I sure hope so. This is
one situation where a lawsuit would be a reasonable response (and
better, if less gratifying, than beating the crap out of those
people). But I don't know if they could mount a case, since the
shelter probably didn't do anything illegal.

I feel so sad for those people.

I wonder how the cat got outside while they were away, though?

Joyce
Old October 18th 07, 07:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

wrote in message

Watch the video.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_15847.aspx

Pet Owners Outraged After Cat Euthanized While They're Away

That is one horrible story!! Can they sue? I sure hope so. This is
one situation where a lawsuit would be a reasonable response (and
better, if less gratifying, than beating the crap out of those
people). But I don't know if they could mount a case, since the
shelter probably didn't do anything illegal.

I feel so sad for those people.

I wonder how the cat got outside while they were away, though?

Joyce

I think it is outrageous that the cat was euthanized under these
circumstances -- but I think it is *even more* outrageous that the "owners"
would have left the cat to fend for itself while they were gone. I have
indoor cats, and I have a cat sitter who comes in twice a day when I am away
from home. This was an outdoor cat, but they still should have had someone
check on it at least once a day. What if the cat had been injured and left
without any care during that same time? Or had been accidentally trapped
somewhere? It seems that no one was checking on this cat's welfare while
the family was vacationing. So, I feel sorry for the cat but not for the
people involved.

MaryL

Old October 18th 07, 10:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Not to defend the shelter at all but, we found a cat last year and it was
chipped. The vet called the three numbers and found out the people had
moved three or four times to different states and there was no way of
finding them, I know my phone bill showed it as we did a "people search" to
find the owner. I hatg going anywhere and leaving my cats for more than a
day I can't imagine pulling away without knowing someone was checking on
them, well, I wouldn't, especially an OUT cat. Who would you sue, the
shelter for following the rules that we all know they have? OR, can you sue
people for stupidity?

Old October 18th 07, 11:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Granby" wrote in message
Not to defend the shelter at all but, we found a cat last year and it was
chipped. The vet called the three numbers and found out the people had
moved three or four times to different states and there was no way of
finding them, I know my phone bill showed it as we did a "people search"
to find the owner. I hatg going anywhere and leaving my cats for more
than a day I can't imagine pulling away without knowing someone was
checking on them, well, I wouldn't, especially an OUT cat. Who would you
sue, the shelter for following the rules that we all know they have? OR,
can you sue people for stupidity?

I assume this is really a rhetorical question, but I would not sue either
one. I was simply trying to indicate in my response that (1) I think the
shelter acted far too quickly to euthanize a cat that had identifying I.D.
tags and was microchipped -- they could and should have taken extra time
when they could not immediately locate the owners, but (2) I think far
*more* of the blame should rest on the shoulders of the people who "owned"
that poor cat. It is neglect to leave a cat unattended for four days, and
the cat unfortunately paid the price for owners who did not make any
arrangements for his care an protection during their absence. In reality,
*they* are the ones who killed their own pet -- not directly by using a
needle, but indirectly through negligence and lack of care.

MaryL

Old October 18th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Matthew wrote:

I would be burning some a@@s

Or bringing a class-action suit against the city, if its
shelter people are in the habit of euthanizing animals when
the owner can be indentified!
Old October 18th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Watch the video.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_15847.aspx

Pet Owners Outraged After Cat Euthanized While They're Away

That is one horrible story!! Can they sue? I sure hope so. This is
one situation where a lawsuit would be a reasonable response (and
better, if less gratifying, than beating the crap out of those
people). But I don't know if they could mount a case, since the
shelter probably didn't do anything illegal.

It's not illegal to euathanize an animal without the owner's
permission, when the owner's identity is known? That
doesn't sound right to me! (And if the cat had an ID tag
and was microchipped, they clearly had an obligation to
contact SOMEONE, before treating it like a stray!)
Old October 18th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Dumb question (was: Cat euthanized while owners are away...)

Matthew wrote:

I would be burning some a@@s

Trying to figure out which word you mean here. What starts with "a",
ends with "s", and has two letters in between, that you don't want to
write on a polite newsgroup?

Joyce