Jellicle Ball: Final Calling of Names

Old November 2nd 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cory[_2_]

Default Jellicle Ball: Final Calling of Names

In article .com,
says...
I have to say, 2007 calling of the names has been the saddest one yet
for me. It also seems like there are more than usual this year. For
me it was losing my 20-year-old Thaddeus and 90-year-old Dad in the
space of 3 months. A few others hit particularly hard. I can't
believe how many we've lost as a community! I am very glad that
you've kept this going for so many years, Melissa. With any luck the
list will be much shorter next year.
Dolores

*sigh*

I am an original RPC'er "secatery". This year's JB was especially hard
for me to read about, because so, so, so many of Onyx's friends are now
at the Rainbow Bridge (KitTen, Major, Mahler, Gizmo, Allegra, Anti
Marcia, P.C., Norville, Miss Violette, Baby, Tally, and while looking
through the list of honorees, uh, did I read this right... Anti Sherry
Laing is also gone?!). I know that Onyx lives with my parents these
days, and that he's much, much, much better off there, but he was my cat
once upon a time, and he's getting older, too. In a few years, he
probably won't be around, either.

With that, I leave you with this... it's called GOODBYE, FURRY FRIEND.
I wrote it in the wake of Princess Diana's death, when Elton John re-
wrote CANDLE IN THE WIND for Diana. I tinkered with his lyrics, but it
can reasonably be sung to the tune of CITW (I know this, because I asked
my late brother, who majored in music in college, for help, and he said
right away that my re-write read like the lyrics to CITW).

Goodbye furry friend

Goodbye furry friend
May your spirit live in our hearts
You were a friend that gave your love
To all of those you knew
You loved us without fail
And you gave of yourself fully
Now you're in peace at the bridge
And the stars spell out your name

And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a friend of endless grace
Never fading with the sunset
When the rain set in
And your heart beats on in our hearts
And lasting memories
Your voice burned out long before
Our memories ever will

Loving you with ease
Those many days spent by our side
This torch we'll always carry
For our furry beloved friend
Even though we try
Your loss brings us to tears
All our words cannot express
The joy you brought us through the years

And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a friend of endless grace
Never fading with the sunset
When the rain set in
And your heart beats on in our hearts
And lasting memories
Your meow burned out long before
Our memories ever will

Adapted from Candle In the Wind by Elton John and Bernie Taupin
Copyright 1973. Dick James Music, Ltd.

Copyright 1997

Reprinting and distribution of these lyrics is not permitted without
written permission.
Old November 2nd 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stormmee

purrhapz you can tellz da gramby bowt sum of da hizstori dat mani of uses
duzint know... why dida ball start, whut dida hozt anna hoztess did whut
aktifitiez wuz der inna pazt dat we duzint do now, anna ofur stuffz like
dat, Tiger
g...

Old November 3rd 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stormmee

but you will see them together again when you are all there celebrating your
loving reunion... thanks for sharing your story with us, Soft
squiffer wrote in message
Leon, he var gut . He dead. Miss him, ya, too much.
Leify (17 years old and Leon's best friend for12 years)

Sekretary's note: I am Kathy, an original member and founder of this
community. Now all my cats are old and it's so sad. And Cory's song was
wonderful - thank you, Cory, and thank you Meitze for this chance to
commemorate my dear old man-kat. I can't believe I'll never again see Leon
and Leify curled up together sleeping or taking turns vigorously washing
each other

:

Old December 1st 07, 07:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Shadow Scott

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 22:51:58 -0500, Cory
wrote:

*sigh*

I am an original RPC'er "secatery". This year's JB was especially hard
for me to read about, because so, so, so many of Onyx's friends are now
at the Rainbow Bridge (KitTen, Major, Mahler, Gizmo, Allegra, Anti
Marcia, P.C., Norville, Miss Violette, Baby, Tally, and while looking
through the list of honorees, uh, did I read this right... Anti Sherry
Laing is also gone?!). I know that Onyx lives with my parents these
days, and that he's much, much, much better off there, but he was my cat
once upon a time, and he's getting older, too. In a few years, he
probably won't be around, either.

I know what you mean. So many old timers left to the bridge this
year. I'm still in shock over the names. One of my favorite posts was
by KitTen years ago, it involved the 'suicide' of a lamp. It still
makes me laugh.

Cory, it won't be long before Onyx and Shahna are gone. My little baby
is now almost 14 years old. She's dropped from 8 pounds to only 4
pounds and is on two types of medication for hepitatis, twice a day.
I'm basically watching her fade away very slowly; probably only a year
or two left.

Anti Evelyn

Old December 1st 07, 08:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cory[_2_]

In article , shahna1
@juno.com says...
wrote:

*sigh*

I am an original RPC'er "secatery". This year's JB was especially hard
for me to read about, because so, so, so many of Onyx's friends are now
at the Rainbow Bridge (KitTen, Major, Mahler, Gizmo, Allegra, Anti
Marcia, P.C., Norville, Miss Violette, Baby, Tally, and while looking
through the list of honorees, uh, did I read this right... Anti Sherry
Laing is also gone?!). I know that Onyx lives with my parents these
days, and that he's much, much, much better off there, but he was my cat
once upon a time, and he's getting older, too. In a few years, he
probably won't be around, either.

I know what you mean. So many old timers left to the bridge this
year. I'm still in shock over the names.

Me, too!

One of my favorite posts was by KitTen years ago, it involved the
'suicide' of a lamp. It still makes me laugh.

Go to Google Groups and look for the "Furlisophical question. URGENT!"
thread. I found it by searching for the words "lamp" and "KitTen"
(remember the capital 'T' in KitTen's name... otherwise, you'll have a
dickens of a time finding the thread!).

KitTen started the thread with this post:

"Quick! Hurry, befur my Paw gits home.

If a lamp shood fall in thuh house N thur is no hoomin there to see it
break, is it still thuh kitties fault?

KitTen - looking anxiously out the window"

Onyx and KitTen had SUCH a good time with the Packer/Lion rivalry. I
have LOTS of fond memories of that.

Then, GALEN, of all kitties, speaks up later in the thread with this
HILARIOUS suicide note that the lamp supposedly wrote...

"Lamp Suicide note: (kawse Ize not shur iffn I put it az mail or a
messaig!)

Tu da ingrateful book reedur!

I haff nuthin to light fur no mor. I'm at duh end uv my kord wiff a
life dat iz totally lakking in ful-fillament. Thus, rather than go
through a dim fuchure with a burned out spirit, I kast myself tu thuh
floor. Duh kittee, az alwayz, iz totally innocent.

Signed,

Thuh Lamp"

In between these two posts is what I would consider a pretty convoluted
discussion of philosophy ('cuz to me, ALL philosophy discussions get
convoluted sooner or later!). The whole thread is forty posts long, and
it gets VERY funny.

Cory, it won't be long before Onyx and Shahna are gone.

I was wondering about her yesterday, actually.

My little baby is now almost 14 years old. She's dropped from 8 pounds
to only 4 pounds

Onyx's weight has dropped considerably over the last 2-3 years as well.
TED swears up and down that he's fine, but my mother isn't always sure,
y'know??

and is on two types of medication for hepitatis, twice a day.
I'm basically watching her fade away very slowly; probably only a year
or two left.

Anti Evelyn

Onyx is 13 himself now, and he's healthy and sassy as ever, but at the
same time, I know that that's not going to last forever, either. I'm
just afraid that he's going to pick up the same sort of bug that one of
my parents' other kitties, Tootie, picked up on the way down to Tucson
(my parents have a winter home in Tucson now), and whatever the heck
*she* picked up was an absolutely gruesome bug for my parents to have to
watch her suffer with.

Tootie's illness was anything but peaceful. She was NOT in good shape,
and the whole situation was made worse by the fact that Mom and Dad were
on the road to Tucson, so it wasn't as if they could just go to their
local TED to get her treated. They had to find one, first, and that
took a couple of days, and then they had to wait for test results and
whatnot to see what was wrong and if they could treat it. It was just
awful, and my parents had a massive guilt trip about it, in that there
was no way to get her into a TED right away because they were in-between
cities on the interstate.

--- Unca Cory
Old January 1st 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Shadow Scott

Yes! That's thread I was referring to - thanks Cory! I thought it was
the funniest thread I ever read. Especially the suicide note from the
lamp.

So sorry to hear Tootie suffered.

My vet says the same thing about Shahna that your vet says about Onyx.
My vet says Shahna is one tough cat and is fighting very strongly.

Still...I get worried anytime I don't see her right away, I'm afraid
I'll find her somewhere isolated, stiff and cold and I don't think I
can handle that, when she decides to pass over the bridge, I want to
be holding her in my arms.

Of course, Shahna just looks at me as if to say, "not so fast, I'm not
going anywhere for a few more years!"

Evelyn

In article