I need help now

Old May 21st 05, 06:51 AM
Just Me

Default I need help now

I just got 2 kittens about 11 weeks old..they are both boys from the
same litter..they were born outside and lived there until now..I have
them using the litter box but the problem is they are also peeing on my
furniture and floor..im finding spots all over wet and i just cant stand
the smells accumilating...what can i do to stop them or is it too late
to get them too? i know they are use to just going anywhere they want
but i figure since they are using the litter box it would stop..but im
wrong..they only pee everywhere..im so upset that the smell is getting
to me..i cant stand this..my husband doesnt like the odor and neither do
i..what if anything can be done..
I did try patting the urine and placing in the litter box so they
have their scent there..but they are doing it but still doing the
furniture and floors..
CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH SOME ADVICE??????
thanks......cathy

Old May 21st 05, 07:16 AM
Corey Kaye

Just Me wrote:
[...]

Well, I'm new to this group, but this is what I would do:

Confine them.

Be it a spare bathroom, or a larger crate--give them a place to sleep, a
place to eat, and a litterbox. Until they're using the box religiously,
don't even think about letting them out unsupervised.

Also, if they've dropped--both testicles in the scrotum--nueter them.

I use Get Serious to get rid of urine, but I've heard Anti Icky-Poo works
even better. A blacklight will reveal everywhere they've gone. Get ride of
all those spots before you let them have free roam.

A behaviorist also told me the Feliway pheromone things worked well.

Good luck!

Corey

Old May 21st 05, 09:23 PM
Just Me

Where can i purchase either one of them at? are they expensive...?
What is that Feline ??? you were saying works also..
thanks.....cathy

Old May 21st 05, 10:01 PM
Corey Kaye

Just Me wrote:
Where can i purchase either one of them at? are they expensive...?
What is that Feline ??? you were saying works also..
thanks.....cathy

You can get Get Serious at PetSmart., same with feliway. It comes in a
plugin thing (kind of like air freshener) or as a spray. You can also get
both at www.drsfostersmith.com. Anti icky poo is harder to find. Check
your vet, or do a google search.

I think the MOST important thing is going to be to get those boys nuetered
ASAP. Like next week.

Corey

Old May 22nd 05, 03:38 AM
MaryL

"Just Me" wrote in message
Where can i purchase either one of them at? are they expensive...?
What is that Feline ??? you were saying works also..
thanks.....cathy

Cathy,

Welcome to the group.
Feliway is used for behavior modification and can be very useful in reducing
stress. It is available in plug-in diffusers (with refills available) and as
a spray. I used the plug-ins so it can be working all the time. I no longer
need it on a regular basis, but it was very helpful when I brought a new cat
(Duffy) into my household and wanted to introduce him to my resident cat
(Holly). Now I use it only when I think there could be some stress, such as
when I will be away for a few days (very rare for me), and I keep them in
different rooms. The spray is excellent for an occasional use, such as
spraying the carrier about 20 minutes before you take your cat to the vet,
but the plug-in diffuser is better for long-term use because it releases
premeasured doses. Refills can be purchased for the dispenser. One bottle
lasts a little more than a month.

I like to order mine from ValleyVet (http://www.valleyvet.com). They have
better prices than most others, and there is no charge for shipping. The
last time I checked, they listed Feliway for $29.95 for a diffuser with one
bottle of Feliway. It is also available as a spray for $15.95.

Here some information from an Ohio State University study on this type of
product: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1129074611.htm

Good luck!

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

in")

Old May 23rd 05, 07:54 PM

Kathy,

at 11 weeks, the kittens don't need the run of the house at all times.
They probably go outside the box as they cannot make it back in time!
As Corey indicated, set them up in a small room with food, water,
litterbox, bed & toys. You can let them out under supervision to run &
play for short periods of time several times a day, but especially when
you leave or cannot supervise them, put them back in their room. Do
make sure the litterbox is clean. I clean my kittenboxes twice a day.

Treat the soiled areas to remove the smell so they are not encouraged
to go there again. I personally like Fresh 'N Clean, if you can't get
that I use Nature's Miracle for cats as the first phase, once that has
dried I treat with a solution of Oxyclean.

Petra

Old May 25th 05, 09:56 PM
Just Me

Hello everyone..just wanted to stop in and let you know that the kitties
are now going full time in the litter box..no more spots or wetness
anywhere..im so happy...they seem to enjoy going to their spot in the
bathroom and im so glad they are adapting..they are coming around more
too with me..Yahoooooo!
thanks all for your advice and help..
cathy