Pokey boy learns to play

Old October 20th 04, 01:10 AM
Enfilade

Default Pokey boy learns to play

When we first brought Smokey in from the forest, he didn't know how to
play. He would eagerly chase a ball rolling across the floor, but
once it stopped rolling, he didn't know what to do with it. He'd look
up at me as if to say "Um, looks like it dropped dead...and it's no
good to eat, so now what?"

I had to show him, repeatedly, how it only took a small thwack of a
paw to get it to roll again.

Fur mice, on the other hand, were swiftly gutted only to find a lack
of tasty guts within.

His favourite game was "smush" which is a wrestling match where we
roll him onto his back and rub his belly and face. Funny how a feral
cat loves a rassle so much, and never acted frightened or bothered by
the aggressive fur-noogies. On his part, instead of biting us, he'd
put his face near our arm or face and work his jaw open and shut as if
to say "I'm biting you now, okay? Rar!"

Smokey still loves his smush but he has since learned how to play with
toys. The kittens and Nocturne, on the other hand, seem to play
instinctively.

--Enfilade
Old October 20th 04, 07:48 AM
O J

On 20 Oct, CATherine wrote:

On 19 Oct, Enfilade wrote:

[...]

That sounds so cute about him play-biting. i have never seen a cat do
that. Usually they just give a real bite--soft of course.

That's what mine do, play bite by gently nibbling on my hand. I loved
the story, I had a little girl who didn't know what play was when she
got here. Now she comes and meows or gives me 'little kitty pats'
when she wants to play with the peacock feather or the red bug.

Regards and Purrs,
O J

Old October 20th 04, 02:50 PM
Kreisleriana

On 20 Oct 2004 04:42:47 GMT, CATherine
yodeled:

That sounds so cute about him play-biting. i have never seen a cat do
that. Usually they just give a real bite--soft of course.

Once I was playing a little stupidly with my tiny Mimi (RB) with my
bare hand. She grabbed the hand, and started to cram it into her
mouth to bite it. She happened to look at my face, and immediately
dropped the hand. Amazing.

Theresa

Old October 20th 04, 07:35 PM
Enfilade

That sounds so cute about him play-biting. i have never seen a cat do
that. Usually they just give a real bite--soft of course.

The funniest is when my partner picks Smokey up during a
smush...Smokey will put one paw on each of Dylan's cheeks, lean
forward, and work his jaw right in front of Dylan's nose.

"I'm biting your nose off, ok, Dad? Rar, I'm fierce!"

--Fil