KFC latest news: The Groom-a-thon :-) this might be long..

Old August 10th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default KFC latest news: The Groom-a-thon :-) this might be long..

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

The hoomins felt the need for a cup of tea then. Most Brits will know
what
I mean.

Well, I drink tea for fortification sometimes, but I think many of us
might
need something a bit stronger (and having pain-killing properties).

[snip]

But yay! She looks pretty again. I think she knows it. Sing I look
pretty, I look pretty

But the question is, is she speaking to you? ..

Yes.

Will she ever greet June
again with a gaze of admiration?

June is the only person she cares about apart from myself, so this will be a
yes, too.

Kitty could easily have flown up into June's face if she'd had a mind to and
scratched her to bits before she allowed June to put the towel around her
neck. She didn't do that because she likes her.
She still likes her.
It was an uncomfortable process but it needed to be done. KFC still likes
us both. Surprisingly.

Tweed

Old August 10th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley" wrote in message
On Aug 10, 10:52 am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Watch this space to see if it's possible to ever give KittyFC a bath.

Anyone want to open a book on the damage she;ll cause? That is one
feisty ole lady you;re proposing to bath!

I assume the time gap is for your order of iron gauntlets to be
delivered?
--------------
Not exactly. Poor girl gave up fighting after an hour and a quarter of her
groom-a-thon and allowed the rest to be done. This is not her.
She needs to have a while to recover so she can fight us again over the rest
of it, and her (maybe) bath.
The girl is feisty and has always been, would not be alive now if she
wasn't. I don't want to overpower her again unless I really have to.
I hope we can come to some arrangement over that small amount of grooming
left . I didn't think cats ever needed a bath, but she does. 20 odd years
of greasy coat and scurf.
When June comes again in ten days or so...
we will both die if we try it. LOL.

Old August 10th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Good for all of you. Some friends are just so special.
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Hi, folks

In the last thread I started about Kitty FC's amazing progress from being
a no-hoper with RB fast approaching to a diva who had gained a lot of
weight and insisted on roast chicken, I mentioned how her fur had got into
a bad state, partly because she stopped self-grooming some time ago,
partly because I was unable to help her with it for three months due to my
own injuries but mainly because even before that she just *would not allow
it* or at least not often enough to keep her up to scratch (pardon the
unintentional pun.)
So we needed to get the cavalry in, in the form of my friend June. I said
she would be up for it, didn't I, and she certainly was!
So June came yesterday to visit KFC, who knows her very well. They spent
10 minutes admiring each other, KFC being ecstatic at seeing Auntie June
again, purring up a storm and rubbing herself all over her and Auntie June
talking to her in a silly voice (which KFC loves) saying "you aren't going
to say this to me in a hour or two, little girlie.."
The hoomins felt the need for a cup of tea then. Most Brits will know
what I mean. We discussed our strategy over our tea. Poor KFC had no
idea what was coming.
June had come equipped with battery-operated clippers, hairdressing
scissors etc in case it was necessary. I said I would prefer us to try
teasing out her horribly felted undercoat if possible and groom it out.
I got a towel to put over her head, but June had a better idea. She
twisted the towel and put it round her neck and took in her front feet
with it too.
OMG, did poor Kitty swear when I got to work on her, teasing out all this
stuff! What a potty-mouth ;-) but no pain no gain. I jumped away every
time she growled and swore. Auntie June said to KFC "your mummy is
nervous" and I said "so would you be, if you'd been trying to do it on
your own!" She agreed.
Thanks to June's skill at handling difficult animals (and I was able to
get the matts away from her tummy too) I had a snowballs chance at that -
KFC is far more comfortable now. There is a little bit more to do (not
much and we have agreed June will come back in ten days so we can do that)
We didn't get the bath done, obviously. It took one and three-quarter
hours to get what seemed enough felted stuff out to make at least one more
cat and we decided we'd all had enough. That's for next time.
Both hoomins got slightly injured during the process. KFC sank one
footful of front claws into June's hand before we got the towel idea going
properly. Fortunately she merely removed Kitty's foot from her hand very
carefully without flinching or trying to pull it away so just puncture
marks. I got kicked by the back feet when I was removing the awful mats
from her tummy.

But yay! She looks pretty again. I think she knows it. Sing I look
pretty, I look pretty

I'm so pleased. June was the only person amongst my friends who would
have been capable of this, and I've had to hold off asking as her husband
had a heart by-pass op earlier this year. "Will you help me groom my
very old cat?" didn't seem appropriate at that time.

Tweed

Old August 10th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

A reminder, it is even more important with a cat than with a dog to
get the proper shampoo. If nothing else, it rinses out easier than
human shampoo.

I always use kitten shampoo it I have to do the evil deed.

Have to admit I haven't given Jake a bath in quite some time, and I've
never tried to bathe Molly. As long as I don't try I can presume it
can be done.

She did have a bath at the cat spa the last time she was boarded, and
looked so pretty with her whites really white.

Jo

Old August 10th 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Charleen Welton

So glad the Groom-a-thon was such a sucess for all involved!
Charleen and her cats who don't want one!!!! That's what the brat cats said!

Old August 10th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

I can't even begin to say how special June is. If I am in hospital, she is
there, looking after my critturs at home and visiting me. It's not like she
hasn't a lot to do herself - the woman is a saint.
I try not to call on her too often as I know she will come every time I ask.
28 years now we've been friends, through our whippets at first, and I could
never get near her expertise - to judge whippets at Crufts. It's the
highest accolade possible in that field. You cannot offer to do it, you
have to be "asked" and it is an honour, a lifetime honour.
Actually, you cannot offer to judge a dog show at all here. I got asked 3
times. Not for Crufts, but for some decent shows. Just remininscing now.
I remember giving a woman best of breed for her whippet, and then her and
her mother got murdered by some sort of maniac shortly afterwards.

She did at least enjoy that day. I remember how thrilled she was to get
that rosette. There was this bloke who thought he would get that rosette,
and his dog was at least as good as hers, but he came forward to claim it
before I had made my decision. I was the ferkin judge which he must have
forgotten. Such a bad idea.
There was not much at all between them, so I gave it to her.
If I am judging a dog show, it will be me who decides who gets the prizes
not another exhibitor who thinks his dog is better than the competition.
That's my job ;-)

Tweed

Old August 10th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

[...]

If I do have to bath her she will be getting dog shampoo. Given that she
does not lay a tongue on her fur I don't think it will hurt her.

Tweed

Old August 10th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 17:08:27 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

[...]

I am so very happy that KFC is doing so well; especially since things
looked so grim for awhile!

It looks like your wish of getting to spend the summer with KFG has been
granted!

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old August 11th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

She did at least enjoy that day. I remember how thrilled she was to get
that rosette. There was this bloke who thought he would get that rosette,
and his dog was at least as good as hers, but he came forward to claim it
before I had made my decision. I was the ferkin judge which he must have
forgotten. Such a bad idea.
There was not much at all between them, so I gave it to her.

So, was this the maniac who killed them? Jesus, I know these shows are
competitive, but are people really insane enough to kill over it?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 11th 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debby Hanoka

snip wonderfully funny story

I suspect Kitty Farm Cat could have given lessons (telepathically, of
course) to Capt. Midnight (RB). He LOVED being brushed, but he wouldn't
let any of us near his claws.

I'd love to see a photo of KFC, if you've got one to send me. My
working email address is below.

Debby Hanoka
dhanoka at gmail dot com