KFC latest news: The Groom-a-thon :-) this might be long..

Old August 11th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default KFC latest news: The Groom-a-thon :-) this might be long..

Marina wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

I'm so pleased. June was the only person amongst my friends who would
have been capable of this, and I've had to hold off asking as her
husband had a heart by-pass op earlier this year. "Will you help me
groom my very old cat?" didn't seem appropriate at that time.

I'm so glad to read this. KFC must feel so much better without those
mats. Well done!

Oops. sorry about the weird snippage. I was respinding to the first
sentence, not saying I was pleased about June's husband's health troubles.

I'm lucky to have a person in my family who can help with these matters.
My middle sister works at the Helsinki Zoo taking care of animals, so
she knows how to handle them. She helped me when I had to dip the cats
for their ringworm. We will be purring for KFC's bath. I'm sure she wil
feel even better after that.

Old August 11th 08, 11:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Christina Websell wrote:

If I do have to bath her she will be getting dog shampoo. Given that she
does not lay a tongue on her fur I don't think it will hurt her.

Tweed, I'm not at all sure that dog shampoo is safe for cats. It's the
absorbing through the skin that is the problem, not the licking off the
fur.

I always use Johnson's baby shampoo for cats and kittens that (rarely)
need a wash - if you can get the mildest one with no added colour or
fragrance, that will be fine.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old August 11th 08, 11:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Now, shampoo is the one thing I never thought about. I had dog shampoo for
Scooter and used it one the cats when they get a bath. Never had a problem
with it. I will ask the TED next time because don't want a problem as they
get older.

Old August 11th 08, 11:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Debby Hanoka wrote:
snip wonderfully funny story

I suspect Kitty Farm Cat could have given lessons (telepathically, of
course) to Capt. Midnight (RB). He LOVED being brushed, but he
wouldn't let any of us near his claws.

I'd love to see a photo of KFC, if you've got one to send me. My
working email address is below.

Debby Hanoka
dhanoka at gmail dot com

There are a couple of pictures of KFC and Boyfriend here.
http://www.possibleplaces.com/tweed/
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 11th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Hi, folks

In the last thread I started about Kitty FC's amazing progress from being
a no-hoper with RB fast approaching to a diva who had gained a lot of
weight and insisted on roast chicken, I mentioned how her fur had got into
a bad state, partly because she stopped self-grooming some time ago,
partly because I was unable to help her with it for three months due to my
own injuries but mainly because even before that she just *would not allow
it* or at least not often enough to keep her up to scratch (pardon the
unintentional pun.)
So we needed to get the cavalry in, in the form of my friend June. I said
she would be up for it, didn't I, and she certainly was!
So June came yesterday to visit KFC, who knows her very well. They spent
10 minutes admiring each other, KFC being ecstatic at seeing Auntie June
again, purring up a storm and rubbing herself all over her and Auntie June
talking to her in a silly voice (which KFC loves) saying "you aren't going
to say this to me in a hour or two, little girlie.."
The hoomins felt the need for a cup of tea then. Most Brits will know
what I mean. We discussed our strategy over our tea. Poor KFC had no
idea what was coming.
June had come equipped with battery-operated clippers, hairdressing
scissors etc in case it was necessary. I said I would prefer us to try
teasing out her horribly felted undercoat if possible and groom it out.
I got a towel to put over her head, but June had a better idea. She
twisted the towel and put it round her neck and took in her front feet
with it too.
OMG, did poor Kitty swear when I got to work on her, teasing out all this
stuff! What a potty-mouth ;-) but no pain no gain. I jumped away every
time she growled and swore. Auntie June said to KFC "your mummy is
nervous" and I said "so would you be, if you'd been trying to do it on
your own!" She agreed.
Thanks to June's skill at handling difficult animals (and I was able to
get the matts away from her tummy too) I had a snowballs chance at that -
KFC is far more comfortable now. There is a little bit more to do (not
much and we have agreed June will come back in ten days so we can do that)
We didn't get the bath done, obviously. It took one and three-quarter
hours to get what seemed enough felted stuff out to make at least one more
cat and we decided we'd all had enough. That's for next time.
Both hoomins got slightly injured during the process. KFC sank one
footful of front claws into June's hand before we got the towel idea going
properly. Fortunately she merely removed Kitty's foot from her hand very
carefully without flinching or trying to pull it away so just puncture
marks. I got kicked by the back feet when I was removing the awful mats
from her tummy.

But yay! She looks pretty again. I think she knows it. Sing I look
pretty, I look pretty

I'm so pleased. June was the only person amongst my friends who would
have been capable of this, and I've had to hold off asking as her husband
had a heart by-pass op earlier this year. "Will you help me groom my
very old cat?" didn't seem appropriate at that time.

Tweed

I'm so glad you were able to get this done - I know she has to feel better
now.

Ben and I were trying to groom Sammy this weekend - sometimes I think we
could brush her straight-on for 3 days and still keep getting out excess
hair. I felt bad though, she was so upset she peed a little. I ended up
bleeding all over my jammie bottoms, but she's the one that got treats and
pettin's - I felt so bad that I'd done that to her!

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old August 12th 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Christina Websell wrote:

If I do have to bath her she will be getting dog shampoo. Given that she
does not lay a tongue on her fur I don't think it will hurt her.

Tweed, I'm not at all sure that dog shampoo is safe for cats. It's the
absorbing through the skin that is the problem, not the licking off the
fur.

Ah, I hadn't thought about that. Thanks for the advice, I won't use it
then. Cats are such strange creatures ;-)

I always use Johnson's baby shampoo for cats and kittens that (rarely)
need a wash - if you can get the mildest one with no added colour or
fragrance, that will be fine.

That's what I'll get then if I decide to go ahead. We'd both prefer to
avoid it - well, all three of us actually but it's probably necessary. She
doesn't smell, her rear end is clean (always was) but her fur is dull,
greasy and scurfy. She already seems more perky now she is groomed out, I
think a one off bath would make her even more happy.
Years ago, I had a Saturday job in a dog grooming parlour. The difference
in a dog's demeanour when it came in matted and smelly and went out looking
like the bee's knees had to be seen to be believed. They just shouted "look
at me, look at me" with excited body language when their owners came to
collect them and not just because they'd been left. They *felt* better, I
could see it. Some owners did not recognise their own dogs.

I don't know if animals have self-esteem but my experience with dogs - in
many ways - suggest that they might. Cats are, and will probably continue
to be, a mystery to me. I would like to do for KFC what I would have done
to make a miserable dog whose coat is in bad order happy again. I know she
will hate it if she is groomed the last bit and bathed, I will hate it, June
will hate it. The hoomins will hate it because Kitty will, and she *will*
fight.
I guess she'll just have to trust us to do the best for her.
This will take the form of the thousand teeth and the million claws that
appear whenever I pick her up and she suspects "something is going to be
done to me." We do not have this problem when I pick her up to take her
into another room for her special food, so that Boyfie cannot eat it. Oh,
no, that's just fine. This cat is psychic as well as immortal.

Tweed

Tweed

Old August 12th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

She did at least enjoy that day. I remember how thrilled she was to get
that rosette. There was this bloke who thought he would get that
rosette,
and his dog was at least as good as hers, but he came forward to claim
it
before I had made my decision. I was the ferkin judge which he must
have
forgotten. Such a bad idea.
There was not much at all between them, so I gave it to her.

So, was this the maniac who killed them? Jesus, I know these shows are
competitive, but are people really insane enough to kill over it?

No. of course not. We do not kill each other if we do not win however
competitive it is!

Some maniac went to their isolated house, miles away from anywhere, and
killed her and her mother, no-one knows why. He did not harm the dogs.

He was caught and is now away in HMP for his natural life.
He didn't even know them.
I like to think I made her happy with that best of breed rosette. I know I
did. She was thrilled. First and last time she got one.

I just hate if I am judging when an exhibitor is so proud of himself and his
dog that he thinks he will win. Maybe he will if the dog is the best
there, but maybe not.
If I say no. Very sad.

Old August 13th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Christina Websell wrote:

That's what I'll get then if I decide to go ahead. We'd both prefer to
avoid it - well, all three of us actually but it's probably necessary. She
doesn't smell, her rear end is clean (always was) but her fur is dull,
greasy and scurfy. She already seems more perky now she is groomed out, I
think a one off bath would make her even more happy.

I'm sure she will feel even better if you do manage to bathe her. Maybe
she will even decide to groom herself a bit more, after you've got rid
of the worst of it! :-)

(snip)
I guess she'll just have to trust us to do the best for her.
This will take the form of the thousand teeth and the million claws that
appear whenever I pick her up and she suspects "something is going to be
done to me."

I have a similar cat, Cocoa (Helen M knows what she's like). She
sprouts several extra limbs and rows of teeth if a vists to TED is ever
needed.

We do not have this problem when I pick her up to take her
into another room for her special food, so that Boyfie cannot eat it. Oh,
no, that's just fine. This cat is psychic as well as immortal.

That's what we expect of her, and nothing less :-)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old August 13th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

I have a similar cat, Cocoa *(Helen M knows what she's like). She
sprouts several extra limbs and rows of teeth if a vists to TED is ever
needed.

Cocoa is a pussycat! ;o).....

With a flick knife, knuckleduster and attitude to go with it!

Helen M
Old August 13th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Aug 11, 5:16*am, (Debbie Wilson) wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
If I do have to bath her she will be getting dog shampoo. *Given that she
does not lay a tongue on her fur I don't think it will hurt her.

Tweed, I'm not at all sure that dog shampoo is safe for cats. It's the
absorbing through the skin that is the problem, not the licking off the
fur.

I always use Johnson's baby shampoo for cats and kittens that (rarely)
need a wash - if you can get the mildest one with no added colour or
fragrance, that will be fine.

This is incorrect information. Human shampoo of any kind should not
be used on cats or dogs because cats and dogs require a different ph
and human shampoo will dry their skin. I would not use Baby shampoo on
a cat or dog for this very reason. A dog shampoo (we're talking about
plain, NOT flea shampoo) can certainly be used on cats and vice versa.
There are many good brands out there and if Christina can find Nova
Pearls by Tomlyn in your neck of the woods that is a very nice one. I
have used that quite often in the years I've been doing grooming.