Disaster strikes

Old September 26th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default Disaster strikes

"Granby" wrote in message
I wouldn't try anything like that around here. With the drug problem in
our area, I would be afraid someone would take it seriously and, if I
couldn't back up what I said, might do bodily harm to try and keep the
matter from coming to the authorities attention.

That's a very good point. I can see some petty thieves laughing at the
whole prospect because an arrest would have been made if it were really that
simple, and I can also envision a tragedy such as what you suggested -- both
as feasible as the outcome the OP really wants. I think the prospect of
having the medications returned is slim.

MaryL

Old September 26th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Granby" wrote in message
I wouldn't try anything like that around here. With the drug problem
in our area, I would be afraid someone would take it seriously and,
if I couldn't back up what I said, might do bodily harm to try and
keep the matter from coming to the authorities attention.

I'm with you. I've always believed we need to choose our playmates
carefully. Messing around with thieves falls into that category. Not
unless you know ahead of time for sure if you are messing with
neighborhood kids, or with druggies who need a fix. I kind of figure
if anyone were convinced I had video surveillance, they would also
believe I had something worth stealing.

Jo

Old September 26th 08, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"Jofirey" wrote

| "Granby" wrote
| I wouldn't try anything like that around here. With the drug problem
| in our area, I would be afraid someone would take it seriously and,
| if I couldn't back up what I said, might do bodily harm to try and
| keep the matter from coming to the authorities attention.
|
| I'm with you. I've always believed we need to choose our playmates
| carefully. Messing around with thieves falls into that category. Not
| unless you know ahead of time for sure if you are messing with
| neighborhood kids, or with druggies who need a fix. I kind of figure
| if anyone were convinced I had video surveillance, they would also
| believe I had something worth stealing.

This was almost certainly neighborhood kids. I spoke with a friend who is a
local schoolteacher tonight in fact we just disconnected a minute ago. She
told me that the police had a meeting with the teachers recently where they
explained that stealing prescription drugs is the latest fad with the local
teens.

Old September 26th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote

| "Granby" wrote in message

| I wouldn't try anything like that around here. With the drug problem in
| our area, I would be afraid someone would take it seriously and, if I
| couldn't back up what I said, might do bodily harm to try and keep the
| matter from coming to the authorities attention.
|

| That's a very good point. I can see some petty thieves laughing at the
| whole prospect because an arrest would have been made if it were really
that
| simple, and I can also envision a tragedy such as what you suggested --
both
| as feasible as the outcome the OP really wants. I think the prospect of
| having the medications returned is slim.

I too think the prospect is slim but I don't agree that they'd think an
arrest would have been made already. It's only been three days and I only
just found out that the package was in fact stolen. According to the police
officer who stopped by this morning, mail theft is becoming a regular
occurrence in this tiny town and it's all being done by local kids who will
try anything in an attempt to "get high".

Heck, I remember taking amphetamine pills from my mom's collection when I
was 14 and stupid. I'd remove one pill from the bottle about every 2-3 days
and wait until I had enough to share with my friends and we'd all take the
"speed". So it's nothing new, but we would never have dreamed of invading
mailboxes. It's easy to do around here, I guess, because the boxes aren't
attached to the houses, they're on posts at the curb. The postal carriers
don't walk with mailbags like they do in larger cities.

Old September 26th 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Pat" wrote in message

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote

| "Granby" wrote in message

| I wouldn't try anything like that around here. With the drug problem
in
| our area, I would be afraid someone would take it seriously and, if I
| couldn't back up what I said, might do bodily harm to try and keep the
| matter from coming to the authorities attention.
|

| That's a very good point. I can see some petty thieves laughing at the
| whole prospect because an arrest would have been made if it were really
that
| simple, and I can also envision a tragedy such as what you suggested --
both
| as feasible as the outcome the OP really wants. I think the prospect of
| having the medications returned is slim.

I too think the prospect is slim but I don't agree that they'd think an
arrest would have been made already. It's only been three days and I only
just found out that the package was in fact stolen. According to the
police
officer who stopped by this morning, mail theft is becoming a regular
occurrence in this tiny town and it's all being done by local kids who
will
try anything in an attempt to "get high".

Heck, I remember taking amphetamine pills from my mom's collection when I
was 14 and stupid. I'd remove one pill from the bottle about every 2-3
days
and wait until I had enough to share with my friends and we'd all take the
"speed". So it's nothing new, but we would never have dreamed of invading
mailboxes. It's easy to do around here, I guess, because the boxes aren't
attached to the houses, they're on posts at the curb. The postal carriers
don't walk with mailbags like they do in larger cities.

Yes, that was a mistatement on my part. What I meant was, you stated that
you had equipment from "authorities" and hinted that a positive ID could be
made. I was basing the statement on that. Certainly, police do not place a
very high priority on theft from mailboxes, and it would be unlikely to
actually have led to an arrest so quickly (if at all). However, I am
dubious that anyone will believe that authorities would lend such
sophisticated equipment to an ordinary homeowner for such a minor offense.
It's possible, but not likely.

MaryL

Old September 26th 08, 06:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote

| Yes, that was a mistatement on my part. What I meant was, you stated that
| you had equipment from "authorities" and hinted that a positive ID could
be
| made. I was basing the statement on that. Certainly, police do not place
| very high priority on theft from mailboxes, and it would be unlikely to
| actually have led to an arrest so quickly (if at all). However, I am
| dubious that anyone will believe that authorities would lend such
| sophisticated equipment to an ordinary homeowner for such a minor offense.
| It's possible, but not likely.

Then perhaps I ought to add to the letter I plan to put into the bait
package, and make it clear that the FBI, postal inspectors and local law
enforcement all take mail theft very seriously, and that it's becoming a
major problem in this town, therefore this is the beginning of a CRACKDOWN.

Old September 26th 08, 07:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Pat" wrote in message

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote

| "Granby" wrote in message

| I wouldn't try anything like that around here. With the drug
problem in
| our area, I would be afraid someone would take it seriously and,
if I
| couldn't back up what I said, might do bodily harm to try and
keep the
| matter from coming to the authorities attention.
|

| That's a very good point. I can see some petty thieves laughing
at the
| whole prospect because an arrest would have been made if it were
really
that
| simple, and I can also envision a tragedy such as what you
suggested --
both
| as feasible as the outcome the OP really wants. I think the
prospect of
| having the medications returned is slim.

I too think the prospect is slim but I don't agree that they'd think
an
arrest would have been made already. It's only been three days and I
only
just found out that the package was in fact stolen. According to the
police
officer who stopped by this morning, mail theft is becoming a
regular
occurrence in this tiny town and it's all being done by local kids
who will
try anything in an attempt to "get high".

Heck, I remember taking amphetamine pills from my mom's collection
when I
was 14 and stupid. I'd remove one pill from the bottle about every
2-3 days
and wait until I had enough to share with my friends and we'd all
take the
"speed". So it's nothing new, but we would never have dreamed of
invading
mailboxes. It's easy to do around here, I guess, because the boxes
aren't
attached to the houses, they're on posts at the curb. The postal
carriers
don't walk with mailbags like they do in larger cities.

Love my neighborhood. We have the individual boxes at the street, but
a lot of us are retired or work from home. So we have a really good
defacto neighborhood watch.

We know who belongs where, and there is no reason for anyone else to
be on the street. We also all seem to have either alarm systems or
dogs or both. Lots of motion activated outside lights as well.

If anyone were to open a mailbox that wasn't theirs, there would
probably be to calls to 911 and three people would get pictures.

It gets ridiculous sometimes. When I stand up now to go to bed, it
will set off the motion sensor on the light across the street. He
really needs to adjust that one.

Jo

Old September 26th 08, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

In any case, since the local police are handling the problem, unless you
consult with them first, I would think it best to let them do it. Wouldn't
want to see anyone hurt over this matter.
"hopitus" wrote in message
On Sep 25, 10:01 pm, "Pat" wrote:
"Jofirey" wrote

| "Granby" wrote
| I wouldn't try anything like that around here. With the drug problem
| in our area, I would be afraid someone would take it seriously and,
| if I couldn't back up what I said, might do bodily harm to try and
| keep the matter from coming to the authorities attention.
|
| I'm with you. I've always believed we need to choose our playmates
| carefully. Messing around with thieves falls into that category. Not
| unless you know ahead of time for sure if you are messing with
| neighborhood kids, or with druggies who need a fix. I kind of figure
| if anyone were convinced I had video surveillance, they would also
| believe I had something worth stealing.

This was almost certainly neighborhood kids. I spoke with a friend who is
local schoolteacher tonight in fact we just disconnected a minute ago.
She
told me that the police had a meeting with the teachers recently where
they
explained that stealing prescription drugs is the latest fad with the
local
teens.

In my area the "latest fad" with them is making, placing, and setting
off simple
bombs (not pipe bombs) in mailboxes big enough to hold a 2-liter soda
bottle.
Thanks to local media, practically everyone here knows how to make
them;
few and cheap ingredients.

Old September 26th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Sep 25, 11:01�pm, "Pat" wrote:
"Jofirey" wrote

| "Granby" wrote
| I wouldn't try anything like that around here. �With the drug problem
| in our area, I would be afraid someone would take it seriously and,
| if I couldn't back up what I said, might do bodily harm to try and
| keep the matter from coming to the authorities attention.
|
| I'm with you. �I've always believed we need to choose our playmates
| carefully. �Messing around with thieves falls into that category. �Not
| unless you know ahead of time for sure if you are messing with
| neighborhood kids, or with druggies who need a fix. �I kind of figure
| if anyone were convinced I had video surveillance, they would also
| believe I had something worth stealing.

This was almost certainly neighborhood kids. I spoke with a friend who is a
local schoolteacher tonight in fact we just disconnected a minute ago. She
told me that the police had a meeting with the teachers recently where they
explained that stealing prescription drugs is the latest fad with the local
teens.

Missouri teens must be somewhat behind the crime curve. Stealing
prescription drugs
has been going on even here for a long time. Just MO, but I think the
problem was excaberated
in earlier years when kids discovered scheduled narcotics could be
ordered via internet sites. The
most frightening "fad" was when the perpetrators were hanging out at
Wal Mart pharmacy, waiting
on some elderly person to pick up scripts and following them out to
the parking lot. They said it
was easy to tell when someone was picking up a scheduled med; the
clerk would ask for ID.
Mailbox rifling isn't anything new, either; but that's not limited to
kids. My friend had a box of new
checks stolen from her box, and that sure cost her a lot of grief and
misery. IMO your mail lady
should *not* have left a package hanging out of the box like that.
What an invitation.

Old September 26th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Sep 26, 1:48�am, "Jofirey" wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote

| "Granby" wrote in message

| I wouldn't try anything like that around here. �With the drug
problem in
| our area, I would be afraid someone would take it seriously and,
if I
| couldn't back up what I said, might do bodily harm to try and
keep the
| matter from coming to the authorities attention.
|

| That's a very good point. �I can see some petty thieves laughing
at the
| whole prospect because an arrest would have been made if it were
really
that
| simple, and I can also envision a tragedy such as what you
suggested --
both
| as feasible as the outcome the OP really wants. �I think the
prospect of
| having the medications returned is slim.

I too think the prospect is slim but I don't agree that they'd think
an
arrest would have been made already. It's only been three days and I
only
just found out that the package was in fact stolen. According to the
police
officer who stopped by this morning, mail theft is becoming a
regular
occurrence in this tiny town and it's all being done by local kids
who will
try anything in an attempt to "get high".

Heck, I remember taking amphetamine pills from my mom's collection
when I
was 14 and stupid. I'd remove one pill from the bottle about every
2-3 days
and wait until I had enough to share with my friends and we'd all
take the
"speed". So it's nothing new, but we would never have dreamed of
invading
mailboxes. It's easy to do around here, I guess, because the boxes
aren't
attached to the houses, they're on posts at the curb. The postal
carriers
don't walk with mailbags like they do in larger cities.

Love my neighborhood. �We have the individual boxes at the street, but
a lot of us are retired or work from home. �So we have a really good
defacto neighborhood watch.

We know who belongs where, and there is no reason for anyone else to
be on the street. �We also all seem to have either alarm systems or
dogs or both. �Lots of motion activated outside lights as well.

If anyone were to open a mailbox that wasn't theirs, there would
probably be to calls to 911 and three people would get pictures.

It gets ridiculous sometimes. �When I stand up now to go to bed, it
will set off the motion sensor on the light across the street. �He
really needs to adjust that one.

Jo- Hide quoted text -

This one made me laugh. My son's neighborhood is all older folks + my
sister is two doors down. He can't even forget to shut off a light
that someone doesn't call us. If he ever had someone suspicious
hanging aound,
our phone would ring off the wall.
If anything does sound weird, we cruise around his block without him
knowing it. DH calls it "Drive-By Parenting."

Sherry

Sherry

3 am disaster kittyscastle Cat anecdotes 2 August 7th 07 06:56 PM
Disaster! ken Cat health & behaviour 5 August 18th 05 05:46 AM
Sub-q Disaster Cheryl Cat health & behaviour 2 February 8th 05 02:09 AM
Fur Disaster (BW?) dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers Cat anecdotes 20 January 30th 04 01:46 AM