Smudgie is Lost!

Old July 6th 10, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default Smudgie is Lost!

saying a prayer that they get their furball butt back home

"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in message
I would really appreciate some GYFBH purrs please. Yesterday evening
Smudgie chased a cat over our fence and kept on running. She has never
been out of the garden before so I am super worried. I have been walking
the streets calling her name and shaking her food box but no luck. She is
scared of strangers so will not approach anyone for help. I have put
leaflets thru doors and on lamp posts etc. I am so worried and am hoping
the "power of the purrs" will help guide her home.

Thank you so much
Sharon

Old July 6th 10, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

Default Smudgie is Lost! - Trap Set

"Takayuki" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
They will not have been lost, Marie, almost all UK cats are allowed out
all
the time.
We have a totally different country. No bears, no cougars, no crocodiles,
one venomous snake that I've never seen and could not hurt a cat anyway.

I've personally never heard of a cat being injured or consumed by any
of those things.

Ermm.. I think I meant alligators ;-)

Tweed

Old July 6th 10, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Tweed, do you guys have birds of prey over there? Hawks, falcons, etc.?

Yes, we do, but nothing big enough to take a cat, except the golden eagle
and I've never heard that they do, mainly because they are quite rare and
frequent very remote areas perhaps. They will take small lambs though.

Mainly, all our wildlife is pretty innocuous.
Deer stags can be dangerous to humans in the rutting season (October-ish) as
they have serious anger issues then ;-) but as they are not exactly all over
the place, they are fairly easy to avoid providing I don't go to Bradgate
Park at that time of year:

http://www.leicesterclimbs.f9.co.uk/BradgateI.htm

Tweed

Old July 6th 10, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Tweed, do you guys have birds of prey over there? Hawks, falcons, etc.?

Yes, we do, but nothing big enough to take a cat, except the golden eagle
and I've never heard that they do, mainly because they are quite rare and
frequent very remote areas perhaps. They will take small lambs though.

Mainly, all our wildlife is pretty innocuous.
Deer stags can be dangerous to humans in the rutting season (October-ish)
as they have serious anger issues then ;-) but as they are not exactly all
over the place, they are fairly easy to avoid providing I don't go to
Bradgate Park at that time of year:

http://www.leicesterclimbs.f9.co.uk/BradgateI.htm

Tweed

What a great place to live! Granted you don't have the huge wilds we have
filled with predators and prey, but I'm not an outdoorsy type of person (a
bumble bee sting would be fatal).

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old July 6th 10, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in message
back.

We trapped a cat last night, just not the right cat! Will set it again
tonight.

Maybe today .......

Sharon

I am confident, you having seen her and knowing she is OK, that you will get
her in the trap eventually. Providing no-one feeds her as I said. Update
your posters to say "do not feed" and explain why.
We think we know our cats, that if they were lost they would come rushing
towards us, grateful to be found. They don't.
I look at this thread every day after work hoping that you've got her.

Lots of purrs still coming
Tweed

Old July 6th 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Amelia T Cat

I am confident, you having seen her and knowing she is OK, that you will
get her in the trap eventually. Providing no-one feeds her as I said.
Update your posters to say "do not feed" and explain why. We think we
know our cats, that if they were lost they would come rushing towards
us, grateful to be found. They don't. I look at this thread every day
after work hoping that you've got her.

Lots of purrs still coming
Tweed

Checking for Smudgie updates is also the first thing I do every morning.
Keeping my fingers crossed that she comes home/walks into your trap
immediately.

Dan
Old July 6th 10, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Tweed, do you guys have birds of prey over there? Hawks, falcons, etc.?

Yes, we do, but nothing big enough to take a cat, except the golden eagle
and I've never heard that they do, mainly because they are quite rare and
frequent very remote areas perhaps. They will take small lambs though.

Mainly, all our wildlife is pretty innocuous.
Deer stags can be dangerous to humans in the rutting season (October-ish)
as they have serious anger issues then ;-) but as they are not exactly
all over the place, they are fairly easy to avoid providing I don't go to
Bradgate Park at that time of year:

http://www.leicesterclimbs.f9.co.uk/BradgateI.htm

Tweed

What a great place to live! Granted you don't have the huge wilds we have
filled with predators and prey, but I'm not an outdoorsy type of person (a
bumble bee sting would be fatal).

I am a very outdoorsy sort of person. Maybe your bumble bees are different?
Ours are very mild-mannered and gentle.
They *can* sting but rarely do. They allow you to pick them up if you are
careful when they get trapped inside the house. Unlike a honey bee, they
can sting and not die, so you'd think they'd do it all the time because they
can, but they don't.
The only time I ever got stung by a bumble bee was donkeys years ago when I
felt a strange crawling sensation inside my blouse and grabbed it through
the cloth, not knowing what it was.
It was entitled to sting me then, I think!
I love bumble bees, there are plenty in my garden going about their peaceful
business. The idea of stinging me would never occur to them.

Tweed

Old July 6th 10, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie[_2_]

Default Smudgie is Lost! - Not bad news but it reads like it at first!

I am confident, you having seen her and knowing she is OK, that you will
get her in the trap eventually. Providing no-one feeds her as I said.
Update your posters to say "do not feed" and explain why.
We think we know our cats, that if they were lost they would come rushing
towards us, grateful to be found. They don't.
I look at this thread every day after work hoping that you've got her.

Lots of purrs still coming
Tweed

Nothing really to report today except I got one phone call earlier from a
lady saying her daughter had "seen a cat laying in the road" about half a
mile from my house. I took a deep breath, grabbed a towel and drove round
there. The "cat" was actually a huge pile of horse poo right in the middle
of the road! I was so relieved! I also stopped a window cleaner and asked
if he had seen a cat laying in the road anywhere else nearby. He said "oh
are you the cat lady who has put up all the posters"? I can't believe how
word has spread and how many people are actually reading and taking notice
of my posters! People in the street are stopping on my daily rounds of the
estate now too asking "have you found her"? Wow!

Tweed, I have made more leaflets now to put thru doors. I have put how much
we love her/miss her etc and "please if you are feeding her, don't, or she
will never try to find her way home". Article should be in the newspaper in
the morning too, will let you all know what it says.

Bedtime for me now so trap is set with some succulent ham.

Maybe tonight .....
Thanks for the continuing purrs all
Sharon

Old July 6th 10, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message

[...]

Some people have severe allergies to bee stings, to the point where if they
are stung, they can die within 15 minutes. You've probably heard references
to people carrying "epi pens" - that's an instrument you can use to self-
administer adrenalin, which will open up swollen airways so you don't
suffocate.

I like bumblebees, too. They seem like gentle giants. Are they social
animals? I always think of them as solitary. I know they're pollinators,
though.

Catnipped, I didn't know you had that allergy.

Joyce

--
Once upon a time, the world was young and the words "mackerel" and
"pudding" existed far, far away from one another. One day, that all