Should I get a dog?

Old December 13th 04, 03:28 PM
kaeli

In article YVLud.2887$eO5.2546@trndny08,
enlightened us with...

May I ask how many of you have dogs also? How much is involved in having a
dog, work-wise, effort, money, etc.? I want to be realistic, since I know
my cats do not require me to leave the house in 10 degree weather for
example!!...

If you don't have time to have children, you don't have time for a dog.

Forget staying out late - you need to get home to take care of the dog.
Forget sleeping in - the dog needs to go potty.
And no matter how cold it is, she still needs to go out.

When you have a dog, your life pretty much revolves around the dog (if you're
a good owner, anyway). Some people shove them in the yard and forget about
them, but we're talking GOOD dog care, so be prepared to spend a lot of time
messing with the dog. Taking it out, grooming it, playing with it, training
it, etc.
I got a small dog so that she's welcome a lot of places (other people's
homes, mostly) and can exercise in my home (ball tossing is a fav, as is tug-
of-war). When I go to my parents' house or to family functions, she comes
with. When I go to the barn on the weekends, she often comes with (weather
permitting). If I have to be out for longer than normal (like when I go
bowling after work every other wednesday), my parents come over and watch
her.
Some people even do doggy day care. No joke. And THAT can get very pricey.

Dogs are not good pets for 'busy' people, especially if they live alone. Dogs
are highly social animals and NEED you. Like a baby needs you. Having a dog
is like perpetually having a toddler. Seriously.
Before even thinking about what breed you want or if you can afford a dog,
think about whether you have enough TIME to devote to a dog for UP TO 15
YEARS. If you think you can do that, THEN start looking at what kind of dog
best fits your lifestyle. After you've gotten that, THEN start looking for
ones that get along with cats. Once you've found your perfect dog, you can
see how much money you might need to care for it. Some dogs require a lot
more grooming than others (mine needs clipped, which I do myself to save
money). Some eat a lot more than others. Some breeds are prone to more
physical problems, which would mean vet bills. Some are big chewers, so
you'll be spending a lot more on toys.
It's hard to estimate how much money a dog will cost you until you've chosen
a dog, but I'll tell you that my 10 pound poodle mix costs me roughly $600 a
year on food, grooming stuff, vet bills, toys, and treats. If you plan on
doing doggy day care, pet walking/sitting, professional grooming, or
professional training, add on to that.

HTH

~kaeli~
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old December 13th 04, 05:07 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-13, kaeli penned:
Some people even do doggy day care. No joke. And THAT can get very
pricey.

I do have some friends who do doggy day care at least once a week, and it
seems like it's really good for the dog. The dog learns to interact
positively with other dogs, gets tons of exercise, has worked a lot of energy
off by the end of the day, and is generally a happy camper.

Of course, just like human day care, they have closing times, and you may have
to pick your dog up by 6pm.

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

Old December 13th 04, 05:54 PM
ceb

"PattyC" wrote in

Lately, I have been thinking about getting a dog. I have talked to
the local pet shelter about locating a 'cat friendly' dog. And I
don't think I'd want a puppy. We are in discussions about whether
this idea is a good one for me and my cats. I happened to visit a
family today who has 2 dogs (they got them from breeders). They were
quite cute. One was a terrier (like Toto!) and one was a Hungarian
Vz...something. Both were very different, but each appealing.

Vizsla?

May I ask how many of you have dogs also? How much is involved in
having a dog, work-wise, effort, money, etc.? I want to be realistic,
since I know my cats do not require me to leave the house in 10 degree
weather for example!!...

I currently have one dog and one cat. I have had cats for most of my
life, but just got the dog as a puppy three years ago. Dogs are a lot
more work than cats, since as you say they must be walked in all weather,
and they can't be left for as long. I have to always go straight home
from work now, for instance, whereas when I just had cats I could go out
after work, no problem. Of course you can arrange for dog walkers to ease
that situation a bit. But I also feel that the dog needs more interaction
time with me than the cats ever did (although I tend to be a homebody and
did give the cats lots of time).

By the time I got my dog, I was ready to make the commitment -- and she
has been totally worth it -- she has brought me a lot of joy.

I'm thinking I want a small dog, though today the pet counselor said
they have 2 chiwawas (sp?? I CANT spell that??), and I was thinking
ewww no. Not sure why except they don't seem much like dogs...

Some of the small dogs might not be good choices -- terriers for instance
can be terrible with cats (although we always had terriers with cats when
I was growing up, and never had any problems). I personally like
chihuahuas but always felt as a tall woman that it would be a comical
picture, me taking my tiny dog for a walk!

If you're going to adopt an adult dog, the shelter/rescue people will
know generally whether s/he is good with cats. I got Zoe as a puppy, and
like all puppies she wanted to chase the cat. I successfully taught her
not to, and she lived in harmony with Madeline and now with Rosalie.
She's a cocker/chow cross. The thing to probably watch out for is prey
drive -- don't get a dog with a high prey drive.

And if you get a dog, plan on taking obedience classes. A well-trained
dog is a good family member and a good citizen -- it made all the
difference to me and Zoe. I tried reading books and training her on my
own, but having a class with a teacher was invaluable -- the teacher was
able to point out what I was doing wrong and help me fix it.

Oh, also, make sure you have plenty of time to exercise the dog. A tired
dog is a well-behaved dog. Lots of dogs don't get enough exercise and
sometimes behave problematically because of that.

So, any advice, any suggestions as to what type of dog is good for a
busy person with cats?

I've known dogs of many breeds who have lived amiably with cats. If
you're too busy to go home during the day, you should get an adult dog
rather than a puppy. Plan to separate the dog from the cats until you
know they're getting along great -- in my case, when I got Rosalie, I
separated them only for a couple of days -- Rosalie wanted out, and
wasn't scared of Zoe. You'll know when they are reliable together. When
you're home, plan on supervising their interactions constantly for a
while. Most dogs will have to be taught to respect the cats.

I also make it clear in dog-language that the cat is the boss. Zoe
"helps" me feed Rosalie (by accompanying me when I feed her), and Rosalie
eats first (before the dog). Zoe has to come to me for treats, but I take
the treats to wherever Rosalie is. Stuff like that. Also, no matter what
the cat does, the dog is not to react aggressively -- Rosalie for
instance likes to bat at Zoe's gorgeous plumey tail -- no growling is
allowed, I don't care what has happened. I will also speak sharply to the
cat if I think she is in the wrong, but it's Zoe's behavior that must be
controlled because Zoe is the stronger of the two (but don't tell her I
said that).

I really like having a dog and a cat because they are very different and
I love both the cat and the dog ways of being. They also demand different
sorts of attention, as a single person I feel like I can give them both
good attention on their own terms. They are also good company for each
other, I think.

--Catherine
& Rosalie the calicohead
with special guest appearance by Zoe the cockerchow

Old December 13th 04, 07:11 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-13, ceb penned:

I also make it clear in dog-language that the cat is the boss. Zoe "helps"
me feed Rosalie (by accompanying me when I feed her), and Rosalie eats first
(before the dog). Zoe has to come to me for treats, but I take the treats to
wherever Rosalie is. Stuff like that. Also, no matter what the cat does, the
dog is not to react aggressively -- Rosalie for instance likes to bat at
Zoe's gorgeous plumey tail -- no growling is allowed, I don't care what has
happened. I will also speak sharply to the cat if I think she is in the
wrong, but it's Zoe's behavior that must be controlled because Zoe is the
stronger of the two (but don't tell her I said that).

I think this depends on the personalities of the animals involved. You'd be
amazed at how well a 10-pound cat can cow an 80-pound dog. In some
households, the dogs are the ones that need defending!

Old December 14th 04, 01:15 AM
PattyC

"ceb" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for all the thoughts on this. I am self employed and mostly work at
home, so while I am "busy," I am also around more than many might be.

I think the key question is whether I am willing to do the work involved.

Wouldn't you know I 'met' a 6 mo. chocolate lab puppy today at the shelter
who really touched my heart? We took him into the 'cat room' and he sniffed
then licked one of the friendly cats...

All the advice given is appreciated.

I have some thinking to do.

PattyC

Old December 15th 04, 04:08 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-15, Meghan Noecker penned:
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:28:43 -0600, kaeli
wrote:

If you don't have time to have children, you don't have time for a dog.

It's not THAT hard.

Meals are simpler. You don't have to help them with their homework, buy lots
of clothes for them, or take them to various sports practices. Dogs are
typically cheerful, honest, and easy to get along with. They don't get
moody. They don't run up the phone bill or beg for expensive sneakers. And
it's a lot easier to work your schedule around them than children.

Well, you *do* have to help them with their homework (keeping them in the
habits they learned when they were trained). And I do know dogs who go to
sports practice -- dogs who play flyball or herd recreationally. I have a
friend who drives hours out of her way every weekend because her dog loves
to herd!

As for moody ... um, well. My dog used to lie down with his butt facing you
when he felt insulted. With doggie farts, that's a dangerous form of
moodiness! Granted, they're not as moody as kids, but they can be as moody as
cats (destructive when bored, picky eaters when upset, etc).

[snip]

When I need to go out of town, I can get a family member to take care of
them. And frankly, I worry more about the cats. The dogs will sleep on
anybody's bed. But the cats have problems when I am gone.

Kira used to have separate anxiety. She'd get sick all over my bed. For
years, I would put a vinyl tablecloth on the bed, fuzzy side up, to protect
my bed. I'd put a throw blanket on top to make it cusy for her. But I could
come home, peel off the mess, and go to bed in a clean bed. The hardship was
feeling guilty about being gone.

Depends on the dog. My dog would lose weight if we left town; he'd only eat
if the dogsitter stood by his bowl with him. He wanted companionship for
meals. And whenever my dad was away on business, he'd mope, also not eat
much, and would go nuts when he heard dad's voice on the answering machine.

When I didn't spend enough time with my dog, he ate cardboard boxes. I felt
awful. Of course it wasn't his fault; it was mine.

I love dogs. I really do. But as someone who *does* know how much work they
are, I harden my heart when I think of getting a puppy, or even an older dog.
I just know that my lifestyle right now is too selfish for dog ownership. I
do think it would be easier on me than on someone who's never had a dog.

Old December 15th 04, 10:01 PM
jamie

PattyC wrote:
May I ask how many of you have dogs also? How much is involved in having a
dog, work-wise, effort, money, etc.? I want to be realistic, since I know
my cats do not require me to leave the house in 10 degree weather for
example!!...

Since you describe yourself as a busy person, I really wouldn't
recommend getting a dog at this time.

Keep in mind that unlike cats, dogs are pack animals. In addition
to walking your dog, for a dog to feel secure and be well-behaved,
they require a lot of both training and play-attention to learn that
you are leader of their pack. Without the security of you acting as
their pack leader, they are a lot more likely to be anxious and do
things like chew up your belongings, tip over the trash, be a barking
nuisance, etc.

I've had dogs with cats in the past, but not now. As to what kind
of dog to get with cats, I personally prefer a medium-sized dog large
enough not to be intimidated by the cats, rather than a very small dog.

Another point to consider is that some breeds, especially herding
"working dog" breeds, can tend to be nervous if they don't have a
large yard to run around in and expend energy.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."