New kitten, very scared

Old January 31st 05, 10:38 PM
Flycaster

Default New kitten, very scared

Hi,
I'm doing this for a friend that can't access the ng. She just brought
home a 5 month old American Shorthair. The kitten is apparently
terribly scared. When first taken out of the carry case, she was
shaking all over. She ran under the couch and can't be gotten out. My
friend is quite worried and has no idea what to do. I tried to calm her
by saying that I thought the cat was scared and upset and should be left
alone until she decided to come out. Food, water and a litter box is
near by. Any heplful suggestions/ideas are certainly appreciated. Thanks,
Adam

--
To email, erase "forgetit"
Old January 31st 05, 10:55 PM
mlbriggs

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:38:40 -0500, Flycaster wrote:

Hi,
I'm doing this for a friend that can't access the ng. She just brought
home a 5 month old American Shorthair. The kitten is apparently
terribly scared. When first taken out of the carry case, she was
shaking all over. She ran under the couch and can't be gotten out. My
friend is quite worried and has no idea what to do. I tried to calm her
by saying that I thought the cat was scared and upset and should be left
alone until she decided to come out. Food, water and a litter box is
near by. Any heplful suggestions/ideas are certainly appreciated. Thanks,
Adam

Keep the room quiet and give it time (might take a few days) Tell her to
speak softly when she talks to the cat . My neighbor had this happen
and it took a couple of weeks before the cat would come out and sit by
them, but it did happen. Best of luck/ MLB
Old January 31st 05, 11:06 PM
Mary

"Flycaster" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm doing this for a friend that can't access the ng. She just brought
home a 5 month old American Shorthair. The kitten is apparently
terribly scared. When first taken out of the carry case, she was
shaking all over. She ran under the couch and can't be gotten out. My
friend is quite worried and has no idea what to do. I tried to calm her
by saying that I thought the cat was scared and upset and should be left
alone until she decided to come out. Food, water and a litter box is
near by. Any heplful suggestions/ideas are certainly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

--

You are right--and the first thing your friend did wrong
was to "take" the cat out of the carrier. Tell your friend to

Old January 31st 05, 11:48 PM
LauraM

My cat was very scared too when I brought him home. For two weeks I
didn't see him unless I looked under the bed. I almost gave up, but
someone else told me to be patient. Then, one day, he poked his head
around the corner. It took him another couple weeks to become totally
comfortable, but it did happen. He still has a little bit of
"scaredy-cat" in him but he's so loveable now. Good things come to
those who wait.

Old February 1st 05, 12:00 AM

and don't forget to pet, nuzzle, talk to, and carry her around. she
still needs love especially since she's scared.

Old February 1st 05, 06:08 PM
Mathew Kagis

"Flycaster" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm doing this for a friend that can't access the ng. She just brought
home a 5 month old American Shorthair. The kitten is apparently
terribly scared. When first taken out of the carry case, she was
shaking all over. She ran under the couch and can't be gotten out. My
friend is quite worried and has no idea what to do. I tried to calm her
by saying that I thought the cat was scared and upset and should be left
alone until she decided to come out. Food, water and a litter box is
near by. Any heplful suggestions/ideas are certainly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

--
When I brought Muscat home he was fairly skittish. Not as severe as your
freind's kitten, but, if you approached him, he'd run & hide. He would only

Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat
En Vino Veritas

Old February 1st 05, 06:12 PM
Laura M

Oh goodness, my kitty is definitely not lacking in the nuzzling,
talking to, carrying, etc. He is very loved and very devoted. He just
has a side to him where he gets jumpy. Probably because he was a feral
cat until about 1 year old. He's well adjusted and loves to lay on his
back while I pet his stomach. He gurggles and coos when I do this
which is just SO cute!

Old February 2nd 05, 01:21 AM
Chris

You might try putting the carrying case near the couch covered over with a
towel so it might become his 'safe' place. Just make sure to take the door
off so it doesn't swing on him as he gets in and out.