looking for a new litter

Old July 10th 03, 01:37 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Laura R." wrote in message
.net...
circa Wed, 9 Jul 2003 21:28:42 -0400, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Cathy Friedmann ) said,

I use Swheat Scoop and a woman who works for the company told me to

mix a
1/4
teaspoon of vegetable oil into the litter in the box. She said to

stir it
really good and that will help with any dust. I haven't tried it yet,

just
wonder if anyone else has heard of doing that. Maybe it would work

with
the
WBCL?

Lauren

One quarter cup isn't much, but still I wonder if any oily footprints

would
show up around the house - on upholstery it could be a problem.

Since you're only supposed to use 1/4 *teaspoon*, I'm thinking it
wouldn't be an issue. ;-)

Laura

Oh, d'uh! I have no idea why I 'read' one-quarter cup. And I read it
twice, & still saw "cup" both times.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old July 10th 03, 04:17 PM
Bill

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
Bill , with thought and calculation, said
in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

I've used Scoop Away and haven't noticed tracking.

Recently I switched to a new litter called (I believe) Swheat
Scoop, which is a wheat-based clumping litter. It seems to absorb
litter box odors about as well as the Scoop Away, but without the
perfume-ie smell. I haven't noticed any tracking with this litter
either.

Both litters seem to produce less dust than others I've used.

Bill

How do you like that? I had been using Scoop Away, but since Kami was
diagnosed with asthma, I stopped because it was dusty and the fragrance
would aggravate her. I tried Arm * Hammer, but it's not much different
even though there's no fragrance. The thing with her tear ducts
started after that so then I switched to PaPurr. It seems to have
fragrance, too, but it's definitely not as dusty and she hasn't had a
coughing fit for a while (though the tear ducts things is off and on).
The only other one I see consistently available with Swheat Scoop. All
I would need then if for her to develop a wheat allergy. LOL!

--
Brandy Alexandre®
http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx

I like the Swheat Scoop, so I'll probably keep using it. I haven't tried
the Arm&Hammer, but Swheat Scoop performs about the same as the unscented
Scoop Away.

The only fragrance I can detect with the Swheat Scoop smells vaguely like
bread.

Bill

Old July 10th 03, 09:05 PM
PawsForThought

From: (Karen M.)

From: Laura R.

PawsForThought ) said,
I find little dust w/ the WBCL, but am now (wondering if the newer

formula
is the culprit?)

I use Swheat Scoop and a woman who works for the company told me to mix

1/4
teaspoon of vegetable oil into the litter in the box. She said to stir

it
really good and that will help with any dust. I haven't tried it yet,

just
wonder if anyone else has heard of doing that. Maybe it would work with

the
WBCL?

Why not just use a cooking oil spray instead of doing all that
mixing?

Laura

Maybe because you wouldn't be able to measure it accurately and end up with

too
much oil? I do know though that they recommend spraying the box itself

with
the cooking oil spray to keep the litter from sticking to the box.
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe

So that's the secret to the Swheat Scoop! I swear sometimes it was
like prying a rock apart trying to get the clumps from the litter box.
I just started using a scoop litter called PaPurr Scoop litter, made
from recycled paper. Very little dust and don't see much litter
scatter in the basement. (God bless basements for putting cat boxes
in!) It clumps well too!

Hi Karen!
Yep, that's the secret for non-stick box, or what I do is use one of those
heavy duty black garbage bags and stick the box inside. Then I use a twist tie
to close up one end and that's how I get a litterbox liner and the Swheat Scoop
doesn't stick. Then when I change the box, I turn the bag inside out while
carefully pulling out the litterbox and then just toss the garbage bag.

Lauren
________