Help: How to Lure a Cat Into a Pet Carrier

Old May 24th 04, 11:32 AM
Hilary JRP

Make her think you don't want her in there.

Very funny. I'm responding because no one else has answered and I
want to keep the thread going! I have three weeks to get MSC used to
being in this carrier, and she's just not interested, and I'm very
worried about what the trauma will do to her old heart.

Old May 24th 04, 12:40 PM
Sunflower

"Hilary JRP" wrote in message
om...
I've set up one of those big collapsible cat carriers in my bedroom
for the past month, with one of Mrs. Sweet Cheek's pillows, her
brushes, and some cat nip.

The cat nip was the only thing that got her to go completely in to the
cage, but interestingly, the attraction wore off in a matter of days.
She completely ignores the cat nip now, when I try to use it as a
lure.

I don't want to put tuna fish in my bedroom (I have the cage set up in
my room because she spends most of her time there); the smell would be
too unpleasant.

She hasn't been to a vet in years because she runs and scratches
pretty badly if you try to hold her for more than a few seconds. Is
the only way of luring her to throw a towel over her? Now how relaxed
will THAT be, when she has a four or five hour trip to her new home
ahead of her?

This problem is totally driving me crazy, so any help here or by email
would be greatly appreciated.

Place the carrier close to where you feed them. Keep the door open and put
the food right at the entrance. After a couple of days, put the food just
inside the entrance. Continue to gradually put the food further and further
back in the carrier. I leave my carrier by the food station and they'll
actually hang out in it with no fear whatsoever. Shut the door on the day
you need to take them to the vet.

Or, just be brave and stand the carrier on it's end vertically, grab the cat
by the scruff and stuff in butt first. That's the best method with a
fractious cat. It's the folks responsibility on the other end to remove the
cat and reinsert. We use a nice fishing net at our clinic.

Old May 24th 04, 02:15 PM
kaeli

In article , mw*678
@sprynet.com enlightened us with...

He's now a marked man over there. Poor darling has a big WILL BITE
sticker on his chart!

Don't feel bad. My little darling Rowan has one of those. *g*
She's a sweetie sometimes, but she can be quite fractious. She's never
bitten or scratched me, but she has come close with warning shots. She
doesn't "pull the punch", so to speak, with the vet like she does with
me. I'm glad she likes me. *LOL*

Sometimes you just have to put on handling gloves and put them in the
crate. Once they know that no matter how much they have a tantrum,
they're going in there anyway, they usually stop being such ****heads.
Like little kids. With fur. *heh*

~kaeli~
If the funeral procession is at night, do folks drive with
their lights off?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old May 24th 04, 03:49 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Geeez - I've never had any problem getting cat(s) into carrier - I usually
bring it into house 12-24 hours before I need it, leaving it open with a
towel or cat-pad inside it, and they investigate it, if not actually nap in
it. When time comes, I scoop cat up (Weeble likes to be chased first), set
them down in front of it, facing the doorway, and push them in, and before
they know it (and before they can turn around & get out), door is closed &
we are on our way. Right now I'm fostering 4 6-week old kittens, and I put
a carrier on the enclosed front porch with them, and within 1/2 hour, all 4
were sleeping in it. That was Friday, when they had their appt - I left the
carrier on the porch, and they are still using it, preferring it to the box
I have out their for them.

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old May 24th 04, 04:56 PM
Barb

"Hilary JRP" wrote in message
[...]

Reinsertion has never been a problem for me. My cats willingly reinsert
themselves because they know they are going home.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,