Cat ****s on floor! Help!

Old June 19th 04, 05:25 AM
Sherry

Default Cat ****s on floor! Help!

I'm worried that Dally just doesn't like this cat
enough to hang with it until she can modify its behavior.

That's my worry, too. :-(

Laura
--

I also am. I was hesitant to share this at first, but here goes. I am currently
having the *exact, same problem* . Only the cat was going under the dining room
table. I've tried all the suggestions mentioned, except confining her, and
they didn't work either. She is a rescue who came here starving. She is also
the sweetest cat I have ever had.
1. She is terrified of the outdoors. Nix the barn cat idea.
2. I *will not* turn this cat over to a shelter, or anyone else for that
matter. If I can't deal with her behavioral issues, how can I expect someone
else to? I *will not* risk losing track of her to someone else to possibly end
up thrown outdoors or abused.
3. Point taken that cleaning up cat mess everyday is disgusting and unsanitary.
I don't like it any more than anyone else.
So last Thursday we replaced the carpet with vinyl. It's durable, more
sanitary, and looks amazingly like wood flooring.
Biskit's second choice was always the litterbox. If I caught her pawing under
the table, and scolded her she always went straight to the box.
So far, so good. She is using the box. We also bought one brand-new box,
(making 5 now, for 4 cats) and that's the one she's using. We put it in the
hall closet. I think that also helped; it's confined and feels protected, like
under the table. I can't guarantee it would work for everybody, and can't
guarantee that she won't revert, but if she does, we'll deal with it then I
guess.
Sherry

Old June 22nd 04, 03:42 AM
Dally

Sherry wrote:

I'm worried that Dally just doesn't like this cat
enough to hang with it until she can modify its behavior.

That's my worry, too. :-(

I'm worried that it won't matter HOW long I hang with it. I'm getting
no where. The only thing that has ever worked for more than a few hours
was keeping the cat away from that room. That means either confining
the cat or removing the bathroom from family use. My family wants a
downstairs powder-room more than we want a cat. (We built this addition
on last summer at huge expense partly because we needed that bathroom.)

I think we've had the cat seven weeks now. This is still an every day
occurance. I'm listening if you've got ideas. I'm really not happy
about having a cat that must be kept confined 100% of the time. It was
heart-breaking last night when I let him out for a supervised romp. He
was shooting up and down the halls bouncing off the walls. He's too
young to be kept in a 40 square foot room!

[...]

I've never caught the cat at it. He's kind of a sneaky cat that shoots
through doors. I've seen him go into that room before and I go watch
him, but he always acts like he just came in for the scenery or
something and walks out. Until I stop watching.

So far, so good. She is using the box. We also bought one brand-new box,
(making 5 now, for 4 cats) and that's the one she's using.

We've got THREE litter boxes for ONE cat. All freshly washed and filled
with four kinds of litter until we found the kind he liked.

We put it in the
hall closet. I think that also helped; it's confined and feels protected, like
under the table. I can't guarantee it would work for everybody, and can't
guarantee that she won't revert, but if she does, we'll deal with it then I
guess.

Has she reverted since you posted this? (I really appreciate you
sharing your story, by the way.)

Dally

Old June 22nd 04, 05:16 AM
Sherry

We've got THREE litter boxes for ONE cat. All freshly washed and filled
with four kinds of litter until we found the kind he liked.

We put it in the
hall closet. I think that also helped; it's confined and feels protected,

like
under the table. I can't guarantee it would work for everybody, and can't
guarantee that she won't revert, but if she does, we'll deal with it then I
guess.

Has she reverted since you posted this? (I really appreciate you
sharing your story, by the way.)

Dally

No, she hasn't, thank God. I hope you find the answer for your cat. I totally
understand your frustrations. I am a committed cat-person from way back, and I
don't have children to clean up after on top of the cats, so I do understand
that putting up with it was easier for me. Best of luck. Please keep us
updated.

Sherry