my crazy cat

Old September 16th 04, 04:59 PM
Stephen

Default my crazy cat

hi

I got a cat from the local animal shelter a few months ago. This cat
is extremely playful and will follow me around wherever I go (even the
bathroom). He also loves watching water. He'll watch any water; bath
runing, toilet flushing, tap dripping, rain. I don't mind all this
but he has this one annoying habbit of always licking me. He licks
any piece of bare skin whenever he can. Is there anyway to get him to
stop this?
Old September 16th 04, 07:53 PM
Aimee S

I wish you luck with your licking cat, I have the same problem with a 6
year old siamese. She does the exact same thing, licking any bare skin
she can reach. It's always when she's being petted and purring. I hope
you can find an answer for this, because I haven't found a way to stop
my cat. I just pull away and try to cover any skin that she can reach.
That sand paper licking is not fun.
I'll be also watching the posts to see if there are any answers for
this.

Aimee

Old September 16th 04, 09:35 PM
Sunflower

"Stephen" wrote in message
om...
hi

I got a cat from the local animal shelter a few months ago. This cat
is extremely playful and will follow me around wherever I go (even the
bathroom). He also loves watching water. He'll watch any water; bath
runing, toilet flushing, tap dripping, rain. I don't mind all this
but he has this one annoying habbit of always licking me. He licks
any piece of bare skin whenever he can. Is there anyway to get him to
stop this?

Get another cat and let them groom each other. Because that's what your cat
is doing. It's a bonding behavior and means your cat accepts you and wants
to give you a treat of being groomed.

Or, you could try bitter apple like they sell to try to keep dogs from
chewing up things. But, you might just **** off your cat and have him turn
around and have a different but negative behavior because of your rejection
of him. Like litterbox issues. I think I know which probem I'd prefer.

Really, get another cat near the same age and let them pair bond. It's the
cutest sight in the world when both are giving each other baths and curl up
together.

Old September 17th 04, 12:28 AM
Aimee S

That's a great idea getting another cat and might work for some cats,
but I have another cat that she lays with all the time and grooms him,
she's just obsessive about licking me. I've even seen her licking the
nylon curtians I have by my door. I could try the bitter apple, not
sure I want it on my body.. LOL But worth a try, thanks.

Aimee

Old September 17th 04, 01:32 AM
Ashley

"Sunflower" wrote in message
news

Really, get another cat near the same age and let them pair bond. It's the
cutest sight in the world when both are giving each other baths and curl
up
together.

Two cats don't always pair-bond and curl up together, taking care of each
other. My two, who have been together since one of them was 2 months old and
the other about 6 months old, barely tolerate each other and exhibit classic
sibling rivalry. If one is sitting on my lap and the other wants to, the one
who's not on my lap will sit there giving the evil eye, and then go and
sulk. They regularly have dominance spats. They *never* curl up together,
and any grooming that goes on is always short and fairly obviously a
dominance thing (the one doing the grooming is just reinforcing that he's
dominant right now). Dominance seems to yo-yo, with Tahi usually dominant,
but Cassius getting the upper hand every now and then.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a problem and they do coexist, and will fight
as a unit if a strange cat comes around, but this idea that cats will always
make friends with another cat in the household is not something that is
borne out by experience!

Old September 17th 04, 03:38 AM
Rob

"Sunflower" wrote in message
news

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

might double the trouble . we have two littermates who always groom each
other, but one is always licking me or my wife.. generally our wrists and
arms. we kind of think its cute and he usually stops before it hurts too
much. we started counting at one point and i think the most licks he's done
have been 50-60 before we're cleaned to his satisfaction. now we added a
new kitten ..... she doesn't stop at hands, she likes to lick faces. nose,
lips, cheeks and owwwwwww..... eyes. that hurts..... it also hurts when she
decides to start biting my nose. at the moment she's laying on my head (!!)
sleeping. at least she's been absolutely great with not using her claws.