[OT] Great Read

Old January 1st 05, 10:42 PM
CatNipped

Default [OT] Great Read

OK, I don't usually read fantasy, but I love Tanya Huff (she wrote two great
books about a female master sergeant in the space marine corps - VALOR'S
CHOICE and THE BETTER PART OF VALOR (and hey, does anyone know if she came
out with any more in that series??)). So, I picked up and read SUMMON THE
KEEPER and THE SECOND SUMMONING - mainly because one of the main characters
is a cat. I would recommend these books to anyone who hasn't already read
them. To give you just one reason why, here is the last few sentences of
the second book...

"I wouldn't worry about him, "Austin said soothingly [Austin is the keeper's
cat]. "He's a cat."

"Which means?" Clair [the keeper] demanded from inside the circle of Dean's
arms.

"Which means - and do you have to do that in front of me? - that he's still
a superior being."

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 1st 05, 11:10 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

CatNipped wrote:

OK, I don't usually read fantasy, but I love Tanya Huff (she wrote two great
books about a female master sergeant in the space marine corps - VALOR'S
CHOICE and THE BETTER PART OF VALOR (and hey, does anyone know if she came
out with any more in that series??)). So, I picked up and read SUMMON THE
KEEPER and THE SECOND SUMMONING - mainly because one of the main characters
is a cat. I would recommend these books to anyone who hasn't already read
them. To give you just one reason why, here is the last few sentences of
the second book...

There's a sequel????? I'll have to look for it. Most of my
reading comes from LASFS (Los Angeles Science Fantasy
Society) library, but if there's something I REALLY want to
read that they don't have, I'll buy it, read it, and donate
it to LASFS. (They claim to have the largest circulating
library of SF in the country, if not the world - and members
have the use of it free!)

Old January 2nd 05, 01:51 AM
CatNipped

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Not only a sequel, I just got back from B&N and I found the third book in
the series, LONG HOT SUMMONING. I also got Gayle Greeno's "The Ghatti's
Tale" Series, book two, MIND SPEAKERS' CALL and book three, EXILES' RETURN.
And hey, talk about coincidence, from another thread where we were talking
about Anne McCaffrey's Pern series - I found DRAGON'S KIN by Todd McCaffrey
(does anyone know if Anne McCaffrey is unable to write any more - I haven't
heard that she's in poor health?).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 2nd 05, 05:53 PM
Tanada

CatNipped wrote:

Not only a sequel, I just got back from B&N and I found the third book in
the series, LONG HOT SUMMONING. I also got Gayle Greeno's "The Ghatti's
Tale" Series, book two, MIND SPEAKERS' CALL and book three, EXILES' RETURN.
And hey, talk about coincidence, from another thread where we were talking
about Anne McCaffrey's Pern series - I found DRAGON'S KIN by Todd McCaffrey
(does anyone know if Anne McCaffrey is unable to write any more - I haven't
heard that she's in poor health?).

McCaffrey is a tough old girl. If you look at the cover, her name
should be on the credits too. She has been teaching Todd to take over
the series so that it won't end with her.

Pam S. who also loves both the summoning and ghatti series (boy did that
come out awkward, but I don't know how to fix it in a hurry)

Old January 2nd 05, 08:40 PM
Irulan

Yup, read both of these books, I also love Tanya Huff. There is a 3rd book
to the series titled: LONG HOT SUMMONING. But, thanks for the reminder, I
gotta check to see if there are any others.
Jazz's mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come