Just for you FYI

Old May 15th 08, 09:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Lover

Default Just for you FYI

We have a 10 foot chain link fence around the whole place, and Its a
big place with fencing all but the driveway and we got a plan for
that, then we have 4X2 fencing area about 20 feet by 20 feet, Then we
have a coup inside, with more 4x2 fencing and chicken wire.. Its a
great set up. I have had help from a chicken farmer down the road.
He has been bringing me fencing daily.. Im off to do garden work, got
the tilling done yesterday.. Take care. and have a great day!
Old May 15th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Cat Lover" wrote

We have a 10 foot chain link fence around the whole place, and Its a
big place with fencing all but the driveway and we got a plan for
that, then we have 4X2 fencing area about 20 feet by 20 feet, Then we
have a coup inside, with more 4x2 fencing and chicken wire.. Its a
great set up. I have had help from a chicken farmer down the road.
He has been bringing me fencing daily.. Im off to do garden work, got
the tilling done yesterday.. Take care. and have a great day!

Nice rural area eh? Sounds nice. I'm in the city so have to keep my cat
inside. Too many big roads too near.

I always thought if I could live in the country, I'd like to have a few
chickens. Not a major production, just a few.

Old May 15th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Cat Lover" wrote

We have a 10 foot chain link fence around the whole place, and Its a
big place with fencing all but the driveway and we got a plan for
that, then we have 4X2 fencing area about 20 feet by 20 feet, Then we
have a coup inside, with more 4x2 fencing and chicken wire.. Its a
great set up. I have had help from a chicken farmer down the road.
He has been bringing me fencing daily.. Im off to do garden work, got
the tilling done yesterday.. Take care. and have a great day!

Oh hey, followup since a few seem to be making some assumptions here.
Presumably they are folks who arent living on a farm or grew up on one (or
near one).

In Japan, this was a pretty common scene though they are less into dogs and
when they do have one, tends more often to be middle to smaller sized ones.
There it was called 'semi-free range' meaning a large coop which they could
enter and exit at free will, with a large scratching yard. 20x20 would
qualify if you have just 3-4 chickens max I think but be on the slightly
overloaded side. I seem to recall being told their standard was 7x7 per
chicken but may be mistaken.

What kind of dog? There are a few like mine that wouldnt be suitable unless
the chickens were really in a safe coop. He's a beagle mix water dog who
was trained as a bird hunter before we got him from the rescue facility.
He's a great dog but since he was literally trained to go after birds, it
wouldnt be his fault but he'd be a chicken killer likely. He's a mixed
breed, vet guesses beagle and bull mastiff. 45lbs solid muscle at last
weigh in and slightly underweight was the guess. We've been told to up his
food just a touch but watch the belly (slightly concave still) and to make
sure as he adds more weight, it's muscle. Thats what he's doing still. His
back end is filling in now with muscles. I'm guessing he's up to 48lbs now?

OT for here but having fun with figuring out Cash the Beagle's proper size.
He must have been horrendously underweight when they found him abandoned at
35lbs and with heartworms. He ignores all toys except bird shaped ones
(often used to train birding dogs for duck retrieval). He responds to
standard birding hunting terms.

His body shape is unique and getting more so as he fills out to what he
should have been. First glance, large beagle. Second glance, *my thats a
huge muscular beagle!* Hehehe had to swap off the neck collar and leash
type to the body harness and leash. His neck is so muscular, we cant
tighten the collar enough to keep him from slipping it off his head g. He
wears the collar just so we have a place to hang his tags.

He gets along famously with cats so our Cat Daisy and he are living in sin
(in fact just now, she's snoozing on a pillow next to him and making little
purr sounds in response to his snuffles).